For your consideration, a series of facts:
1. There are five (five!) wildfires currently burning in the Los Angeles area today, and upwards of 50,000 people have been evacuated.
2. They look like this.
3. This has been (and continues to be) California’s worst wildfire season to date.
4. There are many reasons for that — including increased drought, tree disease, and rising temperatures due to climate change.
5. California news station NBC4 reported that media mogul Rupert Murdoch’s $30 million Bel-Air estate is one of the homes to succumb to the blaze.
6. Rupert Murdoch has deemed climate change “alarmist nonsense.”
7. The last two facts, taken together, are definitely a total!!! coincidence!!!!
8. Destruction wrought by climate change has a disproportionate effect on low-income people and people of color.
9. Rupert Murdoch will be fine.*
*That’s an educated guess, not a fact.
This story was originally published by Grist with the headline Southern California is burning, and so is Rupert Murdoch’s house. on Dec 6, 2017.