[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - wierd critter thread

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: wierd critter thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:13 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

So many ways for life to reproduce isn't there?

The tricky part for the speed-critter is I was thinking that the whole process of reproduction not require any assistence from another speed-critter: the whole cycle of life being carried out within each critter.
I figured this would have the advantage of allowing each speed-hunter to not require any contact with others in it's species: thus less conflict for food.

Couple possibilites:

Each critter in fact carry's a wide range of genetic info; each slightly different from the others. When it dies, multipul young in fact birth and begin chowing down: basically it's a race to see who can eat the most and get away before the others turn on them. Each cub would contain a very wide range of possible genes to pass on; the one that does the best job eatting early in it's life, lives to adulthood.

The somewhat random nature of which genetic set gets passed along could help to keep a wide gene-pool.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:44 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:42 pm 

That's a clever way of surviving a planet-wide extinction. =D>

So; I guess I'm good to go on the gene-exchange prob....

Now I'm wondering if I made the speed-hunter too dependant on a single prey-critter(Grazelopes). The part that has me worried is the grazelope is dependant on a species of tree for shelter. Thus, in a round about way; the hunter-critter depends on the tree.

Now I worry about grass-fires doing more damage then it first seems!

One starts out designing a make-believe predator and ends up working on a natural way of controlling grass-fire! :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:05 pm 

I read somewhere black walnut trees produce a chemical that makes ground plants die around it.

Perhaps my trees(Prairie-loft) could use something similar to keep the grass-growths far enough away to reduce the fire-damage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:38 pm 

Researching black walnuts trees has led me to ponder: Could plant life grow along the ground without growing IN the ground? I can think of vines kinda working that way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:33 am 

Here's a curious twist:

Plants that 'migrate' across the land(Or even sea), following the sun north/south seasonally.

Time-lapse videos of such might be amusing to watch. Heck, say you go out one morning and see a wind-tossed wave of plant-life; just on the horizen. Then a couple days later go out and find the plants have surrounded your home.
Weed-control would be a cottage-industry. But the risk of completely messing up a vital link to the rest of the eco-system arises yet again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:14 pm 

Had a odd thought;

Do different plants use different wavelengths of light ? I had this vision of semi-transparent leaves, filtering sunlight to the ground below, thus acting like weed-control. Standing underneath such trees, the sunlight filtering thru would probably be remindful of stain-glass windows.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:14 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:56 pm 

There was a article about how plants on other planets might use different parts of the spectrum in one of the popular science mags but I'd have to find it.
It'd be different to have it used as weed-control, though, if i do say so myself. 8-[

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:54 am 

Been thinking this thru....

If we use 'stain-glass' weed control, the tree-canopy will be on the thin side, since thick llayers or multipal layers of semi-tranparent leaves will block all sunlight to what's below.

It's not that this couldn't work: if a given tree-type thrives in a enviroment where it doesn't have to compete with ground-growth plants, blocking all sunlight below could work.

This suggests if I use the 'stain-glass' method, it's going to be very selective in what it targets and there has to be some advantage to a thin canopy.

But I haven't figured out a reason for that, yet. Perhaps protection from high-winds? Ie; with little canopy, it's be less inclined to bear the full brunt of a gale?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:13 am 

I'm just about ready to explain the insects that don't breath.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:26 am 

Okay, I had the dang dream again. Why does this critter stalk my dreams!!!???

Anyone into dream analyising or stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:36 pm 

Regarding Grazelopes...

I figured them for feeding during the daylight hours and taking cover at night.
But daytime temps are rather brutal, during the summer anyway.

So; I'm running thru ideas that will help critters withstand heat.

Couple early possibilities;

Shade.(May not work, though. Their tradition feeding ground is savanna: not many trees.

Water wading(Same prob....rivers okay...but not a lot of them)

I've tried to utilize features that assist critters deal with heat but being fairly small animals(60 pounds) I'm not sure they'd be able to disapate heat fast enough, if they're grazing in open sun.

any suggestions, anyone?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 pm 

I keep coming back to somehow, using critter urine was coolant. I know, I know GROSS....but could a 'extra loop' in circulation; be which a critter passes urine once about it's body; (Think coolant systems in spacesuits) before expelling as we've gotten used to expecting.
Would that extra 'loop' lower body temp enough to make it useful? :-k

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:19 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next