[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - war stories

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: war stories
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:11 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

When reading about the world wars where the soldiers were starving and eating the wildlife and adopting the pets left behind when their humans fled or were killed, I want to do a war story through the eyes of the wildlife or the abandoned pets or even the people who lived in what becomes a war zone. The environmental toll of war is most seen through the eyes of those who cared for the land, who are "collateral damage", and have to live in the aftermath when the soldiers leave. I watched a film where people were waiting for the soldiers to come back and in the mean time waiting in trenches. All of a sudden, rabbits were everywhere and they seemed tame. Shortly after the gunshots and invading army showed up. The rabbits were chased out of the fields by the advancing army and had ran out of fear so seemed tame to those in the trenches. This example of wildlife in a war zone was what got me most interested in this concept. Elephants and tigers in the Cashmere area (between India and Pakistan/Afghanistan) are hard pressed due to the almost 200 years of warfare in the area but the animals adapted to respond differently (and strategically) to gunshots. The Deer in the same area are almost wiped out due to a lack of response options (they are shot if they flee toward or away or if they stay put). I am just posting this to spark story ideas in others here. I have several different story arcs with detailed stories involving the animals and people in war zones (including aliens on other planets) but nothing online yet.

Post subject: Re: war stories
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:16 pm 

I am not sure how you would write this without anthromorphizing (sp?) and making it about how you would feel instead of the animals......unless that is what you were planning. I am not sure how realistic you were trying to make the story.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 am 

anthropomorphizing is always part of the process but I think you can make the story very close to real. Bambi is an example of a very realistic story for some forest creatures but they do talk to each other (about the joys of eating clover blossoms or falling in love in the spring... typical stuff their real counterparts would experience). Of course you can go very cartoony and do stories like you see Bugs Bunny in... but even then, you can keep the events to be close to real even though you have a script made up on the fly by stand-up comedians full of references to popular culture (look at Timone and Pumba from Lion King). You can also keep the animals very real if you want too but still show events through their eyes like so many stories like the Benji films or Lassie or Littlest Hobo (but maybe something other then a dog for the central character). Another possibility is to have a transformation story (human turns into an animal or vice versa) to explain why we are seeing things through the animal's eyes but with a human connection (or the animal seeing through human eyes). And finally, you can set it on a different planet or plane of existence were anything goes. Much of my war stories are set on a different planet inhabited by squirrel-like creatures in place of humans on Earth. I take it further by then bringing that experienced space alien character to Earth to comment on humans from an outsider's view but one who has seen it all before.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:32 pm 

I find that last approuch very interesting. Sorta like a elderly, 'in-the-know' adult, trying to explain things to a young, hell-bent kid.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:48 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:50 pm 

Made any progress on this story, Ann?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:00 am 

not officially but I did have a few dreams and see a few war films that added ideas for this

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:27 am 

Do you sometimes dream in the settings in your stories? I have; I had one where the colors and patterns on the back of a weird critter were so vivid; I would have sworn I was awake and seeing it right then and there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:03 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:38 pm 

Recently, I had another livid-color dream of the critter I mentioned before. I can't figure out what the connection is between this imanginary critter and what's going on in my head after i fall asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:15 pm 

It's actually in this thread; just two or three posts back. I didn't go into a lot of detail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:38 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:43 pm 

I dunno, Ann. I have a hard enough time figuring out how women-folk match their clothes to their surroundings as it is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:38 pm