EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:53 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Sianblooz... you're just trying to inflame the situation. I'm willing to give long-time users who have been able to participate mostly well a little slack... not you.

No, really, I wasn't.
I should has said it differently though.

What I meant is, if you believe that hunting (or carrying an antivivisection sign or wearing a fur coat or splashing fur coats with blood or driving an enormous SUV or slashing the tires of an enormous SUV) makes the hunter "scum", isn't that really just a statement of your opinion? An opinion that's just as valid as the next guy's.

Also, I do think there is a difference bertween saying "YOU are scum" and "hunters are scum". But, that's jmo.

I apologize for jumping in without being clear with what I meant. I have been reading, off and on, for a little while and have seen that some people seem to want to be nasty just to be nasty. I'm sorry I joined in.

Thanks for the warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:02 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

sianblooz wrote:
What I meant is, if you believe that hunting (or carrying an antivivisection sign or wearing a fur coat or splashing fur coats with blood or driving an enormous SUV or slashing the tires of an enormous SUV) makes the hunter "scum", isn't that really just a statement of your opinion? An opinion that's just as valid as the next guy's.

Also, I do think there is a difference bertween saying "YOU are scum" and "hunters are scum". But, that's jmo.

And where's that slippery slope end? If I said, "you are an asshole" that is expressing an opinion, but it is also a personal attack (I don't think you are, btw!). I think that anyone looking at this rationally can say that the claim that "hunters are scum" in a forum where you know that at least some of the people you are addressing are hunters is a bit over the line.

I recently made a post where I said that corporations or whalers (I forget which) who violate the law are scum. That may not be quite over the line, but it is pretty close and I should have known better. We all make mistakes sometimes.

Quote:
I apologize for jumping in without being clear with what I meant. I have been reading, off and on, for a little while and have seen that some people seem to want to be nasty just to be nasty. I'm sorry I joined in.

Thanks for the warning.

Thank you for being cool about it.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:35 pm 
This user has been banned

Can I use pleb instead of scum?

Can you please reply to this post Josh?

http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1633

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:37 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

josh knauer wrote:
sianblooz wrote:

And where's that slippery slope end? If I said, "you are an asshole" that is expressing an opinion, but it is also a personal attack (I don't think you are, btw!). I think that anyone looking at this rationally can say that the claim that "hunters are scum" in a forum where you know that at least some of the people you are addressing are hunters is a bit over the line.

I recently made a post where I said that corporations or whalers (I forget which) who violate the law are scum. That may not be quite over the line, but it is pretty close and I should have known better. We all make mistakes sometimes.

Quote:

Thanks for the warning.

-josh

Fair 'nuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:39 pm 

sianblooz wrote:
josh knauer wrote:
sianblooz wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for the warning.

-josh

Fair 'nuff.

Must be from UK with that reply?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:49 pm 
Pretty funny that some beings (<<obligatory PC generic generalization) cast about in desperation for ways to maintain their comfy habit of insult. Especially when those beings, in the past, damn near shit down their leg at innocent reference to North American nocturnal mammals.

But hey...I can understand the search for loopholes. What I can't understand is the whining when someone else finds one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:53 pm 

RF wrote:
Pretty funny that some beings (<<obligatory PC generic generalization) cast about in desperation for ways to maintain their comfy habit of insult. Especially when those beings, in the past, damn near shit down their leg at innocent reference to North American nocturnal mammals.

But hey...I can understand the search for loopholes. What I can't understand is the whining when someone else finds one.

Very good, RF... I like the generalization! "Is it an insult or just a general statement that could apply to all equally here? I don't know, I don't think I could be personally offended!" :lol:

I am paternalistically (I think I just made that word up) patting you on the head! :roll:

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:02 pm 
Quote:
I am paternalistically (I think I just made that word up) patting you on the head!

LOL! Comes highly not recommended, Josh. I make a very poor pet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:05 pm 

RF wrote:
Quote:
I am paternalistically (I think I just made that word up) patting you on the head!

LOL! Comes highly not recommended, Josh. I make a very poor pet.

Ok... I am NOT going to reply to that! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:29 pm 

Josh do you believe in taking your own advise at all??? Or are the moderators exempt from the rules here... or just you because you're the "selfless founder"? Is your hypocrisy suppose to be humorous or do you not realize, you yourself on multiple occasions make personal insults and then come into the feedback forum spouting like a mother about playing nice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:34 pm 
Meat-hunter wrote:
Josh do you believe in taking your own advise at all??? Or are the moderators exempt from the rules here... or just you because you're the "selfless founder"? Is your hypocrisy suppose to be humorous or do you not realize, you yourself on multiple occasions make personal insults and then come into the feedback forum spouting like a mother about playing nice?

You have to admit that he's getting better. Evolving quite nicely, I would say...despite the ocassional backsliding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:48 pm 

RF wrote:
Meat-hunter wrote:

You have to admit that he's getting better. Evolving quite nicely, I would say...despite the occasional backsliding.

Are you insinuating I wasn't the only one talking out of my ass here.? Pat Pat nudge nudge sorta stuff . My feelings were severely tested by Josh's comments about me above. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:54 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

josh knauer wrote:
Amy... you seem to be just jumping in and perpetuating the argument. Settle down.

Uh, I haven't done anything to warrant a "settle down".

I started a thread because I wanted to know why a member (a personal friend of mine) had been banned without warning or explanation. I have since learned that this member did receive explaination, and so I was done with that. Besides that all I did was note that I had been labled as scum.

No biggie....I've been called worse by better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:56 pm 
Quote:

Like when RF calls ya something...you KNOW you been called something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:01 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

RF wrote:
Quote:

Like when RF calls ya something...you KNOW you been called something.

Damn straight.

Heh, remember that one time you called me a sanctimonious... ah, nevermind. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next