EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Personal insults
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:03 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

josh knauer wrote:
phantomuk wrote:

There were actually multiple postings in that thread, from OhioSteve, Donnie and PhantomUK that I would consider to be personal attacks. I think we need to get people to avoid making statements that involve lots of use of the word "you" or people's names when responding to an argument.

For example, it would be perfectly acceptable (I think) to say, "The claim that X = Y is wrong" or "The claim that X=Y is a lie." The second one is a lot more confrontational and is likely to be taken as such, which will most likely escalate to a flame fest.

It would not be acceptable to say, "You are a liar, X does not equal Y" or "You lie all the time, X does not equal Y." Other things like "you are pulling facts out of your ass" would also be a direct attack (even if they are :wink: ). It would be perfectly acceptable to say, "I disagree with your assertion because of X, Y and Z."

I would think these are common sense rules of personal interaction, but I've learned from this crowd that nothing can be taken for granted! :roll:

Because of the extensive nature of the attacks that I perceived in that thread, Wayne's actions seem appropriate, but we really do need to find better ways to get everyone to calm down with the personal attacks.

-josh

Glad you took a look, I had some stuff come up while I was checking during my "lunch" and had to deal with it. I did not see the attack potential until I read it again with a little more time. My apology to Phantomuk for the mistake in my personal reply.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:31 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Dear Josh and Moderators

I have asked Donnie Mac Leod to stop referring to me as "she" or "her". As you might remember this has been discussed with moderators. As I am demonstrating with the links bellow he continues to insult me by referring to me as "she". May I kindly ask that he be banned from this board. I have been traumatized by his continuous sexist provocations.

http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtop ... &start=240
http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&start=75

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:36 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

You people sure put a lot on Josh.

If I was him I'd probably tell you to cram it up your *ss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:43 pm 
Nt-Spcssm wrote:
Dear Josh and Moderators

I have asked Donnie Mac Leod to stop referring to me as "she" or "her". As you might remember this has been discussed with moderators. As I am demonstrating with the links bellow he continues to insult me by referring to me as "she". May I kindly ask that he be banned from this board. I have been traumatized by his continuous sexist provocations.

Perhaps he forgot what you are.

What are you, anyway? Tell me, and I'll try and remember, if I ever decide to address you except peripherally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:54 pm 

Nt-Spcssm wrote:
Dear Josh and Moderators

From now on I guess *it* or *S/N* will do then because the mods made it clear that one can not refer to another poster by name either. Sheesshh what a whiny group of sooks you AR's are. Meanwhile Sandra had to delete all the names you called me and after she finished putting the stars on words you called me ,she could have made 100 flags with the stars. Pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:00 am 

Post deleted by admin because it is a personal attack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:06 pm 

Post deleted by admin because it is antagonistic and a personal attack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:37 am 

Amy7779311 wrote:

Not only vulgarian but an *ss kisser, also. Maybe someone is afraid they might be facing the music too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:26 am 

Nt-Spcssm wrote:
Amy7779311 wrote:

Not only vulgarian but an *ss kisser, also. Maybe someone is afraid they might be facing the music too.

What's the point of this posting? Clearly it is intended to antagonize. Why does everyone feel the need to antagonize just for the hell of it?

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:29 am 

josh knauer wrote:
Nt-Spcssm wrote:
Amy7779311 wrote:

What's the point of this posting? Clearly it is intended to antagonize. Why does everyone feel the need to antagonize just for the hell of it?
-josh

I agree; but what was the point of the post I was replying to and the rest of 99% of Amy's pop up posts that antagonize me and few other (small number) of ARA, when I am tying to have meaningful debate on the topic. Just one recent example when asking a question: "Do you know what this topic is about? "Amy's answer: "O, I think it has to do something about you whining or something like that". So yes this post was meant to antagonize and to show that to use a phrase "cram it your *ss" is vulgar and antagonizing. You are right. Two wrong don't make it right. It has to stop somewhere. I have not seen it stop yet so I am just participating in the vicious circle. I apologize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:49 pm 
josh knauer wrote:
Nt-Spcssm wrote:
Amy7779311 wrote:

-josh

Looks like a personal attack too, if you ask me.

You did ask, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:21 am 

RF wrote:
Looks like a personal attack too, if you ask me.

You did ask, right?

Probably was a rhetorical question, RF... thanks for clueing us all in, though! :roll:

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:37 am 
No, I wasn't speaking of your post. I was speaking of the post you were responding to. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:39 am 

RF wrote:
No, I wasn't speaking of your post. I was speaking of the post you were responding to. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Ok, I'm completely lost... doesn't matter. Sorry if I was a wise ass inappropriately, then. Time to get some sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:43 am 
josh knauer wrote:
RF wrote:

Ok, I'm completely lost... doesn't matter. Sorry if I was a wise ass inappropriately, then. Time to get some sleep.

It's okay Josh. I like you, so I'm allowing you quite a bit of latitude.

Anyway, I was just commenting that the post you addressed above as being antagonistic, was also a personal attack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next