EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:12 pm 
New User
New User

I hate to say this but, are all you guys all 12years old
because you all act like it.

Last edited by grizz32 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:31 pm 
New User
New User

I think josh is fair with everyone on this board
he puts up with a lot of crap here and I condone him for that .

josh I am sorry if I'm an A#%%^&%$ on this board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:52 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

josh knauer wrote:
Donnie and PhantomUK- You two have to stop. I don't give a rats ass about the specifics of your stupid argument over terriers, sheep, whatever. You both seem to piss each other off whenever you post and you both seem to take it personally. Stick to the issues, don't call each other liars and don't call each other scum.

Can you both just grow up a bit and try to be civil, even when you disagree?

Amy... you seem to be just jumping in and perpetuating the argument. Settle down. Sianblooz... you're just trying to inflame the situation. I'm willing to give long-time users who have been able to participate mostly well a little slack... not you.

If you see someone breaking the rules here, don't respond in kind, post it here in the feedback section. There is NO reason for people to be devolving these discussions into name calling (from either side).

-josh

[/b]

From Auguries of Innocence, by Wiliam Blake (1757 -1827)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:55 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Nt-Spcssm wrote:
Dear Josh and Moderators

I have asked Donnie Mac Leod to stop referring to me as "she" or "her". As you might remember this has been discussed with moderators. As I am demonstrating with the links bellow he continues to insult me by referring to me as "she". May I kindly ask that he be banned from this board. I have been traumatized by his continuous sexist provocations.

http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtop ... &start=240
http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&start=75

omg...this can not be serious..... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:50 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Nt-Spcssm

Quote:
Dear Josh and Moderators

I have asked Donnie Mac Leod to stop referring to me as "she" or "her". As you might remember this has been discussed with moderators. As I am demonstrating with the links bellow he continues to insult me by referring to me as "she". May I kindly ask that he be banned from this board. I have been traumatized by his continuous sexist provocations.

http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtop ... &start=240
http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&start=75[/quote]

NT-spcssm

I do not think banning is appropriate to the case. Anyway that is Josh's department. You have said that Donnie's usage is sexist and/or homophobic. I don't entirely understand the basis of your concern. However I do believe that Donnie's remarks to you were intended to be offensive and I do think that it is discourteous to address or refer to anyone as, "she", (or, "him") let alone as, "it", as has also been suggested. Seeing, however, that your requests have fallen on deaf ears and normal standards of courtesy do not seem to prevail on this Board, I am prepared to delete any such references from Donnie's posts.

Donnie,
I will also ask you once again, on behalf of NT-spcssm and the Board in general, to keep to reasonable standards of courtesy in your posts. That includes, I think, using forms of address that are acceptable to other Posters and not exchanging denigratory remarks about a Poster with a third party. Obviously, if you must reference the Poster and not the Post, NT-spcssm can be referred to as NT and addressed as, "you". I hope you will agree to this. If not I will erase the offending sentences.

Quote:
omg...this can not be serious..... :lol:

Yes it can.

The earlier posts by Donnie were clearly intended to be offensive and were received by NT as a sexist/homophobic attack. A request was made to desist and that request was ignored. It isn't courtesy, it isn't funny and, as we all know, it is associated with serious detriment to victimised groups in society. The first consequence of discourtesy in speech is disorder as we have seen. After that, things just gets worse.

A further example: and I'm leaving this intact, with apologies to NT, only to illustrate my point.

Donnie

Quote:
From now on I guess *it* or *S/N* will do then because the mods made it clear that one can not refer to another poster by name either.

I don't know (and I don't want to know) what *S/N* means but I do know that, "it", is meant to be offensive to NT in whichever way fits his/her situation. This is absolutely not acceptable and it is certainly the last such post to stay so long in the light of day.

Quote:
Sheesshh what a whiny group of sooks you AR's are. Meanwhile Sandra had to delete all the names you called me and after she finished putting the stars on words you called me, she could have made 100 flags with the stars. Pathetic

Very true. NT's epithets were also entirely unacceptable. Difference is NT was, initially, responding (albeit violently) to an unprovoked attack and, to his/her credit has quickly seen the light and apologized to Josh for continuing the, "vicious cycle". You , by contrast, are continuing your offensive remarks; even in this thread which is supposed to be resolving this issue.

Then we have this little gem from RF

Quote:
Perhaps he forgot what you are.

What are you, anyway? Tell me, and I'll try and remember, if I ever decide to address you except peripherally.

Outrageously insulting and obviously intended to be. Definitely the last such post that doesn't get deleted on sight - so nobody need bother posting such things in future.

While I'm on this topic I'd like to know whether people really think it is appropriate to use obscene and offensive language even when not directed at individuals. I may be in a minority on this (though I doubt it), but I certainly don't want to be frequently confronted with words like, "....... scum", and that peculiarly offensive Americanism (sorry but I'm sure that's where it hails from), "ass***e.", or phrases like, "s**t down the leg". It shouldn't be beyond the ingenuity of anyone to find inoffensive forms of expression and I think, on a public forum, that should be obligatory.

PS It is instructive that ARs,outraged at the indignities heaped on their non-human proteges, so often heap (verbal) indignities on their human opponents. It is equally instructive that anti-ARs, who purport to be highly disturbed at the potential of AR to reduce the status / self esteem of human beings in general consistently denigrate and attack the status and self esteem of some humans in particular (ARs). To say the least, there is, perhaps understandable but certainly unjustifiable, ethical inconsistency on both sides. We should all be trying harder to, "practice what we preach".

Donnie and RF; you may say I'm preaching this time if you like - though, as I see it, I'm just stating a position in ethics.

PPS I would just to make my position clear on the question of fault. I agree that there is not a lot of point pursuing this question, it would be better to focus on resolution. However, in view of the fact that the most injured party seems to be getting most of the blame, I would like it on record that, in my considered opinion, responsibility rests largely with the anti-AR position.

During the last twelve months (while I have been posting to this Board) I have observed what seems to me (and various other people) to be a consistent campaign of trivialization and denigration of the AR position, including personal provocation of AR posters, that would seem to have no other aim but to derail discussions and, "trash", posts. Certainly, there have been some violently accusative, vulgar/abscene and entirely unacceptable postings from pro-AR Posters. My strong impression, however, is that they have been, on the whole, retaliations and perhaps sometimes, "forward defences", for which the above noted, "campaign", is primarily responsible.

From Auguries of Innocence, by Wiliam Blake (1757 -1827)

Last edited by Sandra John on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:55 pm 
Quote:

Quote:

What are you, anyway? Tell me, and I'll try and remember, if I ever decide to address you except peripherally.

Outrageously insulting and obviously intended to be. Definitely the last such post that doesn't get deleted so don't bother posting such things in future.

What should I have said to avoid offending the fragile sensibilities of NT? I don't recall NT remarking on his being offended at the use of "what". Of course, I don't recall him explaining just what gender of pronoun I should use in reference to avoid offending him, either.

Shall we also refrain from referring to a cockroach as "it", since Arc will likely take personal offense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:13 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

RF wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Outrageously insulting and obviously intended to be. Definitely the last such post that doesn't get deleted so don't bother posting such things in future.

What should I have said to avoid offending the fragile sensibilities of NT? I don't recall NT remarking on his being offended at the use of "what". Of course, I don't recall him explaining just what gender of pronoun I should use in reference to avoid offending him, either.

Shall we also refrain from referring to a cockroach as "it", since Arc will likely take personal offense?

It may be a language difference as she is from down under and they talks kinda strange down thur ... :wink:

In any case NT is he/him as an official response from him on a prior thread.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:20 pm 

Sorry, maybe it's cause I've had a long hard day, but it is astounding that we really have to teach people manners. Perhaps we should invoke the "Mr. Rogers Rule" which is easy... for every posting, ask yourself, would Mr. Rogers approve of your language? Then again, I have no idea if anyone outside of my neighborhood (which was actually his neighborhood!) knows who he is. Here's a link for anyone not familiar: http://pbskids.org/rogers/

BTW... first person that makes fun of Mr. Rogers gets wacked! :lol:

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:20 pm 
Quote:

Actually, the part I bolded above was meant to express a sort of aloof, though mild disdain.

I freely admit that. And I'm not the only one who exploits loopholes either. But I am pretty good at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:21 pm 
josh knauer wrote:
Sorry, maybe it's cause I've had a long hard day, but it is astounding that we really have to teach people manners. Perhaps we should invoke the "Mr. Rogers Rule" which is easy... for every posting, ask yourself, would Mr. Rogers approve of your language? Then again, I have no idea if anyone outside of my neighborhood (which was actually his neighborhood!) knows who he is. Here's a link for anyone not familiar: http://pbskids.org/rogers/

-josh

Too easy, anyway.

Someone else might want to...uh...take a wack at it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:35 pm 

RF wrote:
josh knauer wrote:

-josh

Too easy, anyway.

What are the odds that Mr Rogers didn't always stay in the Character of Mr. Rogers??.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:39 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Donnie Mac Leod wrote:
RF wrote:
josh knauer wrote:

-josh

Too easy, anyway.

What are the odds that Mr Rogers didn't always stay in the Character of Mr. Rogers??.

I actually saw a blooper show where Mr. Rogers was using VERY non Mr. Rogers words while trying to set up a tent. It would have been funny if I weren't in shock about Mr. Rogers cussing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:41 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

josh knauer wrote:

-josh

Ummmm Mr. Rogers wouldn't say anything ... he's D ... E ... A ... D you know :wink:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:42 pm 
Quote:
I actually saw a blooper show where Mr. Rogers was using VERY non Mr. Rogers words while trying to set up a tent. It would have been funny if I weren't in shock about Mr. Rogers cussing.

Oh thanks...now you went and messed up my entire paradigm of reality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:53 pm 

RF wrote:
Quote:

Oh thanks...now you went and messed up my entire paradigm of reality.

I helped. :idea:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next