EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:50 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

jhawk wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Just for the record, a female dog is a b-word and if used in the proper context would not be an issue for a newbie. However, we would expect an older established poster who knows this could be an issue avoded by just saying female instead to make things simpler by making the change. The same goes for the creative titles/sayings Siber liked to use in relation to the cockfighting threads which generated some confusion with other less appropriate terms. So when in doubt err on the side of caustion and make everyone's life that much easier.

You and everyone else must stop using words with ' cock ' in as I find the word offensive !

Oh...and substitute the word 'sh*t with ' bovine excrement ' or ' rose fertiliser ' please !

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Wasn't coon offensive too (coon hound) in the UK?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:52 am 

Grace wrote:
jhawk wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Just for the record, a female dog is a b-word and if used in the proper context would not be an issue for a newbie. However, we would expect an older established poster who knows this could be an issue avoded by just saying female instead to make things simpler by making the change. The same goes for the creative titles/sayings Siber liked to use in relation to the cockfighting threads which generated some confusion with other less appropriate terms. So when in doubt err on the side of caustion and make everyone's life that much easier.

You and everyone else must stop using words with ' cock ' in as I find the word offensive !

Oh...and substitute the word 'sh*t with ' bovine excrement ' or ' rose fertiliser ' please !

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Not that I am aware of Grace !

:-k

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:59 am 

Grace
Quote:

j
Quote:
Not that I am aware of Grace ! :-k

It was another UK poster then but it definitely was a problem for them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:10 pm 

Grace, do what my 15 year old does. Everytime he feels a swear word getting ready to come forth he substitutes "Bob Saget!!!" for it. Works for him :wink:

Oh, and you do remember what "That's Nice" means, right?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:11 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Grace wrote:
Grace
Quote:
Again, you're over doing it. What will happen when OHIOSTEVE refers to his dog as a bitch? Now we can't say Life's a Bitch and Then you Die here, right? Talking like this is normal. Calling someone a bitch is not. I can agree with that. But I will never agree with your decision to edit what you perceive to be a swear word for BUTTOCKS. Acting like a smartbuttocks, calling ATT workers Buttockclowns - ridiculous! And in the past, Wayne would not have edited that word. You, however, are overextending your powers. And I don't expect the other mods to defend me here, because that would not make you look good days into your new role.

Wayne
Quote:
No, I would not have edited it in the past, however, you and others were continually pushing the limits of what we "let slide".

But this was not pushing the limits. And should not have been edited. Saying someone was acting like a smartass, or calling AT&T staff assclowns is not pushing the limits. Will never agree on that one.

You do not have to agree, but you do have to take the consequenses of your actions. It is really that simple. If you did not continue to get worse with your language usage there would not be the problems of such rules, would there? I would rather not have to deal with such issues, but that is not the case because of the increasing abuses.

Quote:
Wayne
Quote:
The message I got from Josh was these are the rules, here is a new mod, enforce them as they are written (intended for those with a penchant for creative interpretations) from this point on. I assume everyone else got the same or similar message from him.

Are you speaking figuratively? Or he actually PM'd people? As I got no message - either way.

No, literally and I would not have expected you to have gotten such a message as you do not enforce the rules here.

Wayne
Quote:
I know if he got half the number of complaints over language I did he was not pleased with it and when they start showing up in the threads more often something had to be done and it was. You can follow the rules or not, it is your choice and your choice alone.

Fine. To be clear:

An exerpt from the rules:

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users

(just for the record, in this case, ATT is not other users. Saying OHIOSTEVE was acting like a smartass would be disrespectful. Same as him first saying I was full of crap, right? Or is that ok? Saying someone is full of crap?)..

It is NOT respectful of others to use the language you do in the forum. I would not want my children to read some of this stuff when they were younger, nor do I expect Josh will want his to read either. We have had to make some changes in the records we keep as mods due to the potential exposure to his children and his wife.

Quote:
as they are written (intended for those with a penchant for creative interpretations)

I think the intent is now clear to you.

Quote:
Typical back and forth on the issues is expected and encouraged. But, please discuss the issues in a way that that is respectful to others. Differences of opinion are fine, but please agree to disagree in order to avoid flame wars. No personal attacks, no vendettas and no detrimental venting will be tolerated

So this would apply to my vents against animal abusers, correct?

Yes, if you get into the colorful language you seem to be so fond of using.

Quote:
... and efforts should be made to avoid stereotyping other users.

And this would apply to the continual shrimp subject coming up and OHIOSTEVE's grouping people here against animal fighting and animal use as anti's, humaniacs, and the like, and me ranting against those Chinese who bash dogs..oh wait that would be ok since they're not other users here. Or is it not ok? As that might fall under detrimental venting. Correct?

I would say use your best judgment before you post, but that seems to be where the problem comes in ... maybe you need a little cricket from Disney of something ... :mrgreen:

Quote:
If you're going to enforce the rules, you'll need to be consistent. I'm sure animal lover will be quite busy..

That was and is the goal .

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:20 pm 

Oh PLEASE Wayne you make me sound like a freakin filthy, drunken sailor. :roll:

Bunch of polly pure buttocks here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 pm 

Isn't drinking against board rules? I mean this is a family oriented board. What if the kids get into the beer,steal Wayne's station wagon, drive drunk and kill someone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:26 pm 

IMO , BOTH sides are being ridiculous here...AL and Wayne, you two are being way overboard , BUT Grace you KNOW you are the biggest offender on here with vulgar language. Everyone on here knows what is and is not acceptable language and it is a pathetic statement about all of us ( myself included) when we have to be moderated for it. And grace, as far as a truce...you first 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:28 pm 

Since the topic of Forum Rules seems to be interferring with several other Threads on the board at this point, I think that we should move these discussions to it's own thread. This way the other threads may continue on topic without the derailing with comments related to the forum rules.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:31 pm 

I think we're done. I am.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:32 pm 

animallover wrote:
Since the topic of Forum Rules seems to be interferring with several other Threads on the board at this point, I think that we should move these discussions to it's own thread. This way the other threads may continue on topic without the derailing with comments related to the forum rules.

I'm all in favour of that !
Be my guest and move mine.
Thanks in anticipation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:32 pm 

jhawk wrote:
animallover wrote:

I'm all in favour of that !
Be my guest and move mine.
Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks "J"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:34 pm 

Doesn't this belong in the "Feedback" forum?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:34 pm 

SiberD wrote:
Doesn't this belong in the "Feedback" forum?

Good point. I will move it. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:36 pm 

May I remind you that an excessive use of emoticons is frowned upon via the rules?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next