EnviroLink Forum
http://www.envirolink.org/forum/

Discussion of Forum Rules
http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5643
Page 6 of 8

Author:  Origam [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

I know that from time to time I use offensive language.. I'll have to keep an eye on it, I did that when I first started here but then things seemed to get lax and well.. there you have it.

In respect to the kids using words/phrases worse than what we say here.. that's probably true, but it doesn't mean we need to encourage it. Sometimes I cringe thinking that Redfurrymonster (where'd she go anyway? I miss her) might be lurking and seeing some of the things said. Granted she's about 14 now.. but still it makes me cringe. I know that I wouldn't want my Jimmy reading some of what goes down here partly due to language. Come to think of it.. if my mom read half of what went goes on here especially the words she'd have a coronary.. I should keep her away to. :lol:

Author:  jhawk [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Origam wrote:
I know that from time to time I use offensive language.. I'll have to keep an eye on it, I did that when I first started here but then things seemed to get lax and well.. there you have it.

In respect to the kids using words/phrases worse than what we say here.. that's probably true, but it doesn't mean we need to encourage it. Sometimes I cringe thinking that Redfurrymonster (where'd she go anyway? I miss her) might be lurking and seeing some of the things said. Granted she's about 14 now.. but still it makes me cringe. I know that I wouldn't want my Jimmy reading some of what goes down here partly due to language. Come to think of it.. if my mom read half of what went goes on here especially the words she'd have a coronary.. I should keep her away to. :lol:


******************************
As I said before what about the graphic descriptions of torture and references to same. Surely this is worse than the odd slang ?

Author:  Wayne Stollings [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

jhawk wrote:
Origam wrote:
I know that from time to time I use offensive language.. I'll have to keep an eye on it, I did that when I first started here but then things seemed to get lax and well.. there you have it.

In respect to the kids using words/phrases worse than what we say here.. that's probably true, but it doesn't mean we need to encourage it. Sometimes I cringe thinking that Redfurrymonster (where'd she go anyway? I miss her) might be lurking and seeing some of the things said. Granted she's about 14 now.. but still it makes me cringe. I know that I wouldn't want my Jimmy reading some of what goes down here partly due to language. Come to think of it.. if my mom read half of what went goes on here especially the words she'd have a coronary.. I should keep her away to. :lol:


******************************
As I said before what about the graphic descriptions of torture and references to same. Surely this is worse than the odd slang ?


Like the stuff one poster writes about what they would like to do to the Chinese or other folks with whom she disagrees? :wink: :- :- O:)

Author:  jhawk [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Wayne Stollings wrote:
jhawk wrote:
Origam wrote:
I know that from time to time I use offensive language.. I'll have to keep an eye on it, I did that when I first started here but then things seemed to get lax and well.. there you have it.

In respect to the kids using words/phrases worse than what we say here.. that's probably true, but it doesn't mean we need to encourage it. Sometimes I cringe thinking that Redfurrymonster (where'd she go anyway? I miss her) might be lurking and seeing some of the things said. Granted she's about 14 now.. but still it makes me cringe. I know that I wouldn't want my Jimmy reading some of what goes down here partly due to language. Come to think of it.. if my mom read half of what went goes on here especially the words she'd have a coronary.. I should keep her away to. :lol:


******************************
As I said before what about the graphic descriptions of torture and references to same. Surely this is worse than the odd slang ?


Like the stuff one poster writes about what they would like to do to the Chinese or other folks with whom she disagrees? :wink: :- :- O:)


*************************
No, I'm talking about facts not fiction...or I hope it's fiction.
8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Author:  Wayne Stollings [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Wayne Stollings wrote:
jhawk wrote:
Origam wrote:
I know that from time to time I use offensive language.. I'll have to keep an eye on it, I did that when I first started here but then things seemed to get lax and well.. there you have it.

In respect to the kids using words/phrases worse than what we say here.. that's probably true, but it doesn't mean we need to encourage it. Sometimes I cringe thinking that Redfurrymonster (where'd she go anyway? I miss her) might be lurking and seeing some of the things said. Granted she's about 14 now.. but still it makes me cringe. I know that I wouldn't want my Jimmy reading some of what goes down here partly due to language. Come to think of it.. if my mom read half of what went goes on here especially the words she'd have a coronary.. I should keep her away to. :lol:


******************************
As I said before what about the graphic descriptions of torture and references to same. Surely this is worse than the odd slang ?


Like the stuff one poster writes about what they would like to do to the Chinese or other folks with whom she disagrees? :wink: :- :- O:)



jhawk wrote:

*************************
No, I'm talking about facts not fiction...or I hope it's fiction.
8-[ 8-[ 8-[


The graphic description of torture is not a problem for children if we adults believe it is fiction? I missed that somewhere, as much of the proposed descriptions of torture in animal use is also fictional.

Author:  Origam [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

*raises eyebrow* What descriptions of torture are you talking about J.. the ones posted from news articles?

Author:  jhawk [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Quote...' The graphic description of torture is not a problem for children if we adults believe it is fiction? I missed that somewhere, as much of the proposed descriptions of torture in animal use is also fictional...'
************
I dont get your drift here !

I am saying (God, this like pulling teeth)...The odd slang word is IMO not as bad as the graphic descriptions of torture etc from websites or postings by forum members, in other words FACTUAL accounts. Where did I say "...if we adults believe it is fiction " ? I ' missed that somewhere ' too !!

Where did I say that "...as much of the proposed descriptions of torture in animal use is also fictional..." ?

What I believe is that the wishes of some members of this forum for punishments are not factual actions likely to happen, but in there minds only ie. fictional.

Please don't put words in my mouth, as I'm taking a break to have a sandwich and there won't be room yet for anything else !

Author:  jhawk [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Origam wrote:
*raises eyebrow* What descriptions of torture are you talking about J.. the ones posted from news articles?


Darned if I am going to list them.

Look them up yourself and decide.

Author:  Mr. Venom [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

jhawk wrote:
Darned if I am going to list them.

Look them up yourself and decide.


If you have a legitimate complaint about something being posted, and tell someone to " Look them up", then it musn't be bothering you all that badly. There are over 43,000 posts here and I doubt anyone here is going to look through that amount to find the posts that you are hinting at.

Author:  Dane99 [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Origam wrote:
*raises eyebrow* What descriptions of torture are you talking about J.. the ones posted from news articles?


No, the graphic descriptions of torture that one particular user here tends to post as her "retaliation fantasies" about animal abusers.

Author:  Origam [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Dane99 wrote:
Origam wrote:
*raises eyebrow* What descriptions of torture are you talking about J.. the ones posted from news articles?


No, the graphic descriptions of torture that one particular user here tends to post as her "retaliation fantasies" about animal abusers.

Err.. J. said that she wasn't talking about Grace's ideas for animal abusers. Wayne already suggested it and J said it wasn't.
Quote:
No, I'm talking about facts not fiction...or I hope it's fiction.
To me that suggests news stories or something similar. I could be wrong.. and Mr. V is right, I don't feel like wading through all the posts on the board to find whats being talked about so I guess I'll stay in the dark.

Author:  jhawk [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Mr. Venom wrote:
jhawk wrote:
Darned if I am going to list them.

Look them up yourself and decide.


If you have a legitimate complaint about something being posted, and tell someone to " Look them up", then it musn't be bothering you all that badly. There are over 43,000 posts here and I doubt anyone here is going to look through that amount to find the posts that you are hinting at.


****************************
I am not making a complaint. Where did I say I was complaining ?
What I am saying is that descriptions of abuse/torture whether in news articles or other postings on this forum could be considered worse than the use of slang words in relation to upsetting 'kiddies ' .

Honestly some of you do make a meal of quite legitimate remarks !

Author:  Mr. Venom [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

jhawk wrote:
I am not making a complaint. Where did I say I was complaining ?


Look closely..I said 'IF you have a complaint.". I never said that you were complaining. It just sounds alot like it.

Author:  jhawk [ Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Mr. Venom wrote:
jhawk wrote:
I am not making a complaint. Where did I say I was complaining ?


Look closely..I said 'IF you have a complaint.". I never said that you were complaining. It just sounds alot like it.


**********************************
If it sounds/looks like I'm making a complaint to you, then I think you should get your hearing/vision tested.

If I wish to complain about anything then I weigh up the pros and cons, decide whether I'm over-reacting or not then make my decision.

It is not up to me to tell others what they should or shouldn't post, or what they should and shouldn't do. I can only make comments. I was totally against hunting for example before I joined this forum as it is very rare in England.There are a few 'managed ' herds mostly in the grounds of stately homes. However, I have learned a lot from this forum and have changed my mind. Also I was against the ownership of exotic pets, but have become happier in my mind that caring owners such as yourself look after their pets properly.

I hope that I've cleared the matter up for you.

BTW, how are the baby snakes doing ? Have they grown much and how big will they grow to ?
I'm not scared of much including snakes, except I can't stand creepy crawlies of the beetle kind .

Author:  josh knauer [ Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Discussion of Forum Rules

Ok, this is veering off into the absurd. Could you all please knock it off and please take the chatter to another part of the forum? I think the intent that we want to create a welcoming community for all is fairly clear. Debating the details of how far you can push that is not something that is very productive. Move on.

-josh

Page 6 of 8 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/