EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:42 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

29 November (Please forward to your friends - click on envelope icon above!)

In This Update:

Next Steps How You Can Help
Upcoming Screenings Screenings News
I Joined the Mob Recommended Reading
Reviews of GrowthBusters Recent Blog Posts
Holiday Gifts With Purpose

Okay, the GrowthBusters movie is finished, premiered and released. Everything we’ve done over the past six years focused on this moment. You might think our work is done. It would be nice if the film swept the world, millions watched it within months of its release, and it inspired our culture en masse to embrace the end of growth.

Of course – so far, at least - that is not the case, and that means release of the film is just the beginning. Kicking the habit may indeed require a 12-step program. What are the next steps?

GrowthBusters Poster

The Intervention Continues
Next Steps in Getting the World Unhooked from Growth Addiction

Spread the word about the film
Use the film to spark discussions of “end of growth” and “one-earth-living” issues
Get the film in front of opinion leaders and policy makers
Get the film in front of a wider audience
Screen the film on college campuses worldwide
Create a one-hour version of the film for academic use
Create a video series to share the complete expert, insightful interviews with the world
Plan & produce a sequel

You can see, there is plenty of work to be done. We can’t just ride off into the sunset. I invite you to strap on your growthbusting backpack, stick around and help the world kick the habit of growth addiction.

ORDER YOUR COPY HERE! SUPPORT THESE EFFORTS WITH A DONATION HERE!

You Can Help

Sales of the film will fund only a small portion of the important work we need to do. Your continued help is essential. Screenings at film festivals is one of our key strategies to get this film in front of people who wouldn't otherwise see it. Each festival costs us $50 to $200 in submission fees. Can you make a donation to cover one festival for us?

Make a donation
Order the film (order extra copies to give away)
Organize a house party or community screening

Upcoming Screenings:

3 December - Seattle
3 December - Taipei
8 December - Portland

Monitor our screenings page for more screenings going forward. If you're organizing a screening, be sure to email screenings@growthbusters.org so we can add yours to the list, help you publicize the screening and get you information and materials to make your event a success.

More Screenings News:

Australia: George Trembath, author of the novel, Pachacuti, and leader of the Pachacuti Project, thinks small when it comes to human footprint but big when it comes to getting attention for this film. If you’re in Australia and would like to join with George in organizing an attention-getting GrowthBusters event, drop me a note and I’ll connect you.

New York City: One of our audience engagement volunteers, Melanie, is putting together a screening in New York City. If you’re in the area and would like to pitch in, let me know!

MAHB logo
I've Joined the Mob!

Dr. Paul Ehrlich, author of The Population Bomb and many other fine books about our role and impact on the planet, helped create the Millennium Alliance for Humanity & the Biosphere. The mission of the MAHB (pronounced just like “mob”) is to: "Foster, fuel and inspire a global dialogue in order to shift human cultures and institutions towards environmentally sustainable practices and an equitable and satisfying future."

MAHB is “a network of Nodes, Associates and Partner Organizations – groups and individuals around the world who are committed to the mission of MAHB and want to initiate concrete actions that will foster a sustainable and equitable future.” I encourage you to support this initiative and get involved. There are several “Nodes” – collections of people working on a common theme. I’ve started a node called “Media Messaging.” Join me, won’t you?

ON THE NET (Since the last update):

RECOMMENDED READING
Why is economic growth so popular? - Ugo Bardi
We are, in effect, committing suicide - Paul Farrell
Seizing wealth of the 1% can't create viable middle class - Jan Lundberg
Occupy movement needs to think big about a new economy - Gus Speth

REVIEWS OF GROWTHBUSTERS MOVIE
The Coloradoan: New documentary examines growth issues
CSRWire: Green and lean: striking the right balance for true prosperity
New Internationalist: Growth is not the solution
Think Progress: Director of new documentary says "Stop drinking the Kool-Aid"
Marc Gunther: What's wrong with economic growth?

RECENT GROWTHBUSTERS BLOG POSTS
Explore new paths forward
Network takes aim at GrowthBusters
GrowthBusters premiere report
Don't shop!

Small is Beautiful T-Shirt
HOLIDAY GIFTS WITH A PURPOSE

My blog post, Don't Shop, urges us all to observe holiday gift traditions in a non-consumerist way. If you just aren't ready yet to give up the purchase of gifts, you may be glad to know we've reduced the prices of the GrowthBusters t-shirts and bumper stickers in our store. While I'd rather not add to the consumption burden on the planet, I think these can do more good than harm by raising awareness of GrowthBusters and limits to growth. Hypocritical? Guilty! I'm far from perfect but trying to keep moving in the right direction. And, heck, maybe you know someone who really needs a new, ethically produced, shirt.

Dave Gardner
Filmmaker

Join the Movement!
(Volunteer, Donate, Become a Partner, Spread the Word)
http://www.growthbusters.org
\:D/ :mrgreen: :- =D> 8) \:D/