EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:21 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
On a side note, I heard there was a Snowy moderator floating around. How do you like the job?

You realize that the only way you know you are doing it correctly is when everyone is complaining. If they are not all complaining, they think they are getting better treatment than the rest. :mrgreen:

I never knew that we moderators have such a hard job! :mrgreen:

I actually feel like as if I'm moderating the skeptics more than I'm moderating the AGW Supporters. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:41 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
On a side note, I heard there was a Snowy moderator floating around. How do you like the job?

You realize that the only way you know you are doing it correctly is when everyone is complaining. If they are not all complaining, they think they are getting better treatment than the rest. :mrgreen:

I actually feel like as if I'm moderating the skeptics more than I'm moderating the AGW Supporters. :oops:

Yep, that is the way it goes. I don't know if it is the internal attempt at balance or that those with which you agree believe they will get addtional support, but that is common too.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:46 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Snowy123 wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Yep, that is the way it goes. I don't know if it is the internal attempt at balance or that those with which you agree believe they will get addtional support, but that is common too.

It looks weird that I can edit everyone else's posts... :neutral:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:48 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

I was looking through the RSS numbers, and it seems that February 2012 was tied for the 8th coldest February in the RSS Satellite record.

7th coldest by the way was just one thousanth of a degree cooler than 2012.

6th coldest was just six thousanths of a degree cooler than 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:57 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:

Yes, and if you hit the wrong button when you start to quote the post it really srews you up.

I hate the spammers. I have been banning/deleting 1 to 2 dozen a day of late. It is set up that no posts will show up without approval up to a certain point. Some of the rest I know are spammers, but there is a line they have to cross before I can justify removing them. It is a game of sorts to see if they can make it through ... and they do not.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Snowy123 wrote:

Yes, and if you hit the wrong button when you start to quote the post it really srews you up.

I hate the spammers. I have been banning/deleting 1 to 2 dozen a day of late. It is set up that no posts will show up without approval up to a certain point. Some of the rest I know are spammers, but there is a line they have to cross before I can justify removing them. It is a game of sorts to see if they can make it through ... and they do not.

I almost did that one time actually, it was the first day I was moderator, and I meant to "quote" them instead of editing their post. Then I realized it and stopped.

It's very easy to tell who the spammers are, though. They usually have advertising in their signatures and on their wall.

I have gotten three messages from spammers so far.

Not too bad, but you're right, they are pretty annoying.

By the way, TES appears to be suspended due to a virus attack.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:36 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Snowy123 wrote:

Snowy123 wrote:
I almost did that one time actually, it was the first day I was moderator, and I meant to "quote" them instead of editing their post. Then I realized it and stopped.

I have caught myself a few times over the years. Get a little fast with the click and hit the wrong button.

Quote:
It's very easy to tell who the spammers are, though. They usually have advertising in their signatures and on their wall.

Those are the easy ones. Others slowly add their ads over time. I had one that took three months to finally get to the point they could clearly be called a spammer. Some will just sign up and add a link for anyone who checks out their profile. Others add a signature line or slide links into a post they copied form another site.

Quote:
I have gotten three messages from spammers so far.

Not too bad, but you're right, they are pretty annoying.

This has been a big day already. I removed 28 so far today, but there are so many links to this site we are in the top layer of the target groups.

Quote:
By the way, TES appears to be suspended due to a virus attack.

That took me by surprise. My company's initials are TES too. So the first thought was my website.

Those attacks are tough. That is why we added so many additional layers of security. The othe rproblem is backing up. We lost the entire archives in 2003 ... which went back to the late 1990s. More recently a function of the software prunned a lot of the old archives before anyone realized it was being done. Those were lost too.

I wish Fabian luck in that.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:00 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

It's odd, a lot of people were complaining about a virus infecting TES and how they were being notified by McAffee and other security systems, but my secturity system didn't even pick up on a single thing while on TES.

Now I logged on there today and I couldn't access any threads, so I guess TES is down for the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:
It's odd, a lot of people were complaining about a virus infecting TES and how they were being notified by McAffee and other security systems, but my secturity system didn't even pick up on a single thing while on TES.

Now I logged on there today and I couldn't access any threads, so I guess TES is down for the moment.

I got a note about it, but I had not heard of the malware either. What I was given to check was: "http://directmarketing12straight.in/in.cgi?walter"

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Snowy123 wrote:

I got a note about it, but I had not heard of the malware either. What I was given to check was: "http://directmarketing12straight.in/in.cgi?walter"

A lot of other members were also talking about that site.

Even more odd is that perseus is a member of the forum where the malware is being produced.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:16 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Snowy123 wrote:

A lot of other members were also talking about that site.

Even more odd is that perseus is a member of the forum where the malware is being produced.

That is odd about Perseus. I still get requests for info from folks over there, which is where I got that malware info. I have tried to back out of that, but it is hard to not give out the information when someone askes for it.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:46 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

I am willing to bet that March 2012 is probably going to be warmer than February 2012 and January 2012 because of this Solar Storm.

Depending on how strong the CME is will determine how much of an impact this Solar Storm will have on Earth's Climate.

If the CME is very strong, then we can expect a noticeable rise in Earth's Temperature for March, because the CME would significantly reduce the amount of GCRs, more importantly, high level energy GCRs, and it is well documented that when a CME occurs, a significant decrease in GCRs occurs as a result, which is a result of the CME. This is known as a Forbush Decrease.

Earth's Global Cloud Cover as a result may decrease substantially for a few days, allowing for more Solar radiation to reach Earth's Surface, probably leading to a warmer March 2012 that would have otherwise occured without this Solar Storm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:23 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

That explains why I can't get into the environment site forum today.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:15 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Snowy123 wrote:
I am willing to bet that March 2012 is probably going to be warmer than February 2012 and January 2012 because of this Solar Storm.

Depending on how strong the CME is will determine how much of an impact this Solar Storm will have on Earth's Climate.

If the CME is very strong, then we can expect a noticeable rise in Earth's Temperature for March, because the CME would significantly reduce the amount of GCRs, more importantly, high level energy GCRs, and it is well documented that when a CME occurs, a significant decrease in GCRs occurs as a result, which is a result of the CME. This is known as a Forbush Decrease.

Earth's Global Cloud Cover as a result may decrease substantially for a few days, allowing for more Solar radiation to reach Earth's Surface, probably leading to a warmer March 2012 that would have otherwise occured without this Solar Storm.

Coincidence? The Global Temp rose by 0.2 Degrees C in one month.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:08 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:
Snowy123 wrote:

Coincidence? The Global Temp rose by 0.2 Degrees C in one month.

Like Feb. and June of last year?

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2012/04/uah ... -11-deg-c/

YR MON GLOBAL
2011 1 -0.010
2011 2 -0.020
2011 3 -0.101
2011 4 +0.117
2011 5 +0.133
2011 6 +0.315
2011 7 +0.374
2011 8 +0.327
2011 9 +0.289
2011 10 +0.116
2011 11 +0.123
2011 12 +0.126
2012 01 -0.090
2012 02 -0.112
2012 03 +0.108

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2012/03/wha ... peratures/

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next