EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Environmental ezine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:26 pm 
New User
New User

I am a professional environmental journalist and science writer. I want to start an online magazine called Connections: Whole Person, Whole Planet. The goal will be to present stories that are based in science and also that enhance the readers' sense of connection to the natural world. I specialize in articles about our relationships with wildlife, including political and psychological. Anyone interested can read some of them online. My personal favorite is "Saving Luna?" on www.sharkfriends.com, about an orphaned baby whale who tried to bond to humans. The ezine will have articles about physical environmental issues, focusing on how we choose to relate to the environment and why, our relationships with animals, both wild and domestic, our relationships with each other and with ourselves. I will include interviews with some top scientists in these areas. The ultimate goal of the ezine is to enhance our sense of relatedness to the natural world, which I believe is ultimately the only thing that can save it. Because I value your input, I’ve created a simple survey on survey monkey that only takes a few minutes. The survey is online at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3SNVXYW
Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Environmental ezine
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:31 am 
New User
New User

Hello I really like your online magazine and I think it is important to save planet. I would like to use your advices it in my daily life thanks for sharing .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:02 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

It is "advice", not "advices". Go ahead be a survey monkey and get the unwanted cookie. The ezine doesn't seem too "scientific" or have anything much to do with AGW and overpopulation. [-X [-( :-& =; :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:07 am 

I categorize media about the environment into 3 philosophies: 1) Here are the evil groups that cause the problems. If we have a united voice, they might change things. 2) Look at how wonderful the world is and how much damage is happening. Please care for the environment more. 3) Here are things you can do yourself. The items on the top of the list will do the most good because ____. Here are the resources you might need to do those things.

I could sum those up as 1) pass the buck 2) eye candy 3) instructions. I am only personally interested in #3 because I do not see any purpose of organizations other then to serve the desires of the people. Change can only happen when people change. The eye candy stuff can help young kids (before the age of 7 years old) to change their world view but after that age, few people change the focus of their life. For instructional information, I can further categorize them into focusing on "easy to do stuff" or on "the stuff with the greatest impact." If I am truly dedicated to saving the environment, the easy to do stuff is already known and implemented and useless to me. Now don't get me wrong, the "pass the buck" stuff is also important but only in the context of government officials and CEOs of companies reading scholarly articles by known leaders in providing practical solutions. Amory Lovins is an example of someone respected for providing solutions and giving scientifically validated solutions listed in order of greatest impact for the least cost (or usually how they can be both better and cheaper). Amory gets invited to speak to presidents and CEOs and does the most productive work in the "pass the buck" side of the equation. "Eye candy" aimed at introducing people like Amory to CEOs and government policy makers would be good but you need to be something they will see like an article in the "Fortune 500" magazine. I am not writing this to criticize but hopefully to influence you to pick content that will make a difference instead of just wasting paper and the time of people reading it when they could be doing something constructive instead.

So, who is your audience? Pick one of these three: 1) leaders and CEOs 2) Young kids 3) people already convinced they should do something.