EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:08 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

http://chrissearles.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... about.html

"Everywhere we've been the weather is out of whack. Across the UK it was the rainiest summer anyone had ever seen. Spain, Italy -- it was either too wet, too hot, or too cold depending on the day (but never just right). Locals in western Canada told us of a 69F day last January (normally temps hover between -30 and 0 that time of the year). In late June a "non-tornado" ripped down trees and power lines from Chicago to Roanoke (across the USA). Our friends in D.C. were without power for four days."

An old theme from a different perspective.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:44 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

when humans get a virus or bacteria infection, we get a higher body temperature to make the microbes uncomfortable. Looks like the earth is fighting off an infection the same way. Get ready for a rough ride. Make your own food, gather your own water, run your own business... all you can do to prepare for the weather changes, political changes (including war), financial changes (your money can become useless overnight... do you have something to sell with the new currency value?), and lawlessness (yeah, the police and the army will be gone as soon as they are not paid).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 am 

Ann Vole wrote:
do you have something to sell with the new currency value?),

Ammunition will be my currency. It can be traded for what I need or, if necessary, used to get it by force.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:50 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Fosgate wrote:
Ann Vole wrote:

Ammunition will be my currency. It can be traded for what I need or, if necessary, used to get it by force.

True, gold makes poor tools but usable bullets in a pinch. Silver is the same. Neither can sustain life. The value placed on some things now and in history only reflect the luxury aspect of the items. Tools, food and shelter will always have an intrinsic value, however.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:11 am 

thus you could do a little alchemy by taking lead and turn it into gold (via making bullets)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:24 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Fosgate wrote:
Ann Vole wrote:

Quote:
He who lives by the sword dies by the sword.

By a long haired hippie who lived some 2000 years ago

When we are all fighters, nobody produces any food. If you want to see the consequences of such ideas you only need to visit places like the Congo or perhaps Syria. Violence does not solve problems it just creates new ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 pm 

warmair wrote:
When we are all fighters, nobody produces any food.
[/quote]

We won't all be, nor will I be all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:48 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

My brother-in-law just showed me the Damascus katana he got for his younger daughter's 18th birthday. She wanted something similar to what her sister got and that would help in case of the zombie apocalypse happening. She said she needed something to tide her over until she got to my house. It seems I am the rally point for the nieces and nephews for any apocalypse situation. Something about arming the militia was mentioned too.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:35 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
It seems I am the rally point for the nieces and nephews for any
apocalypse situation.

Heh, pretty cool. You know my stepdad has become quite the survivalist lately. He's heavy into ammo, canned food, and gardening. He's actually got two fallback positions for when chaos ensues.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:44 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Fosgate wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
It seems I am the rally point for the nieces and nephews for any
apocalypse situation.

Heh, pretty cool. You know my stepdad has become quite the survivalist lately. He's heavy into ammo, canned food, and gardening. He's actually got two fallback positions for when chaos ensues.

I always had a continginency plan for disasters, both normal and man-made, which we sometimes discussed. It seems the nieces and nephews listened more closely than I thought and now they assume wherever I am will be the best place to be .... even discounting the weapon stockpile.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:41 pm 

Fosgate wrote:
... He's actually got two fallback positions for when chaos ensues.
I am working on over a dozen:
1) a self-sufficient home in the middle of nowhere with an industrial-sized greenhouse... I can defend it and can sell the produce
2) a school bus converted into a mini camper in front and heated utility room/garage in the back. Self sufficient short of food but portable. I can make stuff inside or transport stuff for income. Bullet-proofing in places is planned.
3) handicap accessible rental property that is mostly self-sufficient but located in the city. With obvious handicap accessories, it may serve the same purpose as people putting a Bible in the dash of their car. Being in a rough neighborhood is actually safer in the event of societal collapse because gangs will defend their turf (but watch out for stray bullets). Government-funded handicap assistance will be easy for me if I too become handicapped (the government pays my tenants, I live there for free)
4) I intend to develop relationships or locations for trading or raising pets in various states and provinces in the two countries (Canada and USA). In the event of local troubles, I will have various locations to flee in different jurisdictions and communities (including with certain species of animals who may suddenly become illegal without notice)
5) I want to set up non-profit organizations to control my land holdings and assets which may make it harder for governments or powerful organizations from taking such resources from my access
6) I will make various media (films, books, music, websites) with the hopes of continued income from royalties and continued work from reputation. This income will be in the currency value at the time of publication or distribution so can maintain value with rapid inflation. Income can be provided globally so single countries failing or going fascist should not stop my income generation possibilities
I will stop there as you should see a pattern (and I have to go offline) but there are many more

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:01 pm 

I'm working on a device that I call the kinetic engine. If successful, it should provide continuous unidirectional force without using current propulsion technology. It'd be nice if human power alone (peddling) could power it enough to derive some practical benefit. Some other guy has been hammering on the same concept since the 60's and hasn't quite got it yet. My drawings are vastly different. \:D/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:15 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
My brother-in-law just showed me the Damascus katana he got for his younger daughter's 18th birthday. She wanted something similar to what her sister got and that would help in case of the zombie apocalypse happening. She said she needed something to tide her over until she got to my house. It seems I am the rally point for the nieces and nephews for any apocalypse situation. Something about arming the militia was mentioned too.

At least a sword wont blow up when trying to escape the flames of a wild fire. I speak from personal experience!

I recommend a panga, a useful device for cutting down bush, digging out edible roots, killing small game, and disemboweling ones enemies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:30 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

warmair wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

At least a sword wont blow up when trying to escape the flames of a wild fire. I speak from personal experience!

I recommend a panga, a useful device for cutting down bush, digging out edible roots, killing small game, and disemboweling ones enemies.

I have a couple of similar devices, including a bolo blade, and some military grade entrenching tools which have probably killed more men than most others.

Of course for pure combat the two handed claymore is hard to beat .... but the sabre has the speed ... and the rapier is speed plus length ....

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Of course for pure combat the two handed claymore is hard to beat .... but the sabre has the speed ... and the rapier is speed plus length ....

Give me a 6 foot staff and I'm happy.