EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:44 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Sparing ink? Children's toys? "For the rich"? Who here is rich?
WTF? Useless garbage....... [-X =; [-( :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:14 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

AF2 wrote:
Environmentalist ideas for the rich

1. To spare more ink in the world, it would be better if mankind used better fonts. In current word processor programs, there are quite good fonts which can save more paper, for example, "Liberation Sans Narrow". However, we want to save more ink as well, and we could possibly do that by omitting some parts of the glyphs, for example, we could omit the upper straight part of the letter P, making the glyph something like a hook. In fashion and branding, there are already similar solutions for other letters, and they are popular. Now, a rich person or alliance could support the creation of a public domain font which would change all or most of the letter glyphs a little bit in a similar manner, and that could cause a considerable saving of ink for mankind, if it becomes fashionable. It is suggested to create these fonts on a competition between font developers, and reward the best. Árpád Fekete is not a professional font developer, but found a public domain font on the Internet, and changed it with the open-source program FontForge, spending the free time of more days on it, and it turned out that the font would consume more paper than others. That's why the help of the rich would be handy here.

It may be an admirable attempt at environmentalism and, whilst every little helps, I think there are much simpler ways to reduce our consumption of resources.
Rather than changing fonts, just print fewer documents. That would, at a stroke, reduce the use of both inks and paper.

Are you George Williams by any chance?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:24 am 

AF2 wrote:
Environmentalist ideas for the rich

1. To spare more ink in the world, it would be better if mankind used better fonts. In current word processor programs, there are quite good fonts which can save more paper, for example, "Liberation Sans Narrow". However, we want to save more ink as well, and we could possibly do that by omitting some parts of the glyphs, for example, we could omit the upper straight part of the letter P, making the glyph something like a hook. In fashion and branding, there are already similar solutions for other letters, and they are popular. Now, a rich person or alliance could support the creation of a public domain font which would change all or most of the letter glyphs a little bit in a similar manner, and that could cause a considerable saving of ink for mankind, if it becomes fashionable. It is suggested to create these fonts on a competition between font developers, and reward the best. Árpád Fekete is not a professional font developer, but found a public domain font on the Internet, and changed it with the open-source program FontForge, spending the free time of more days on it, and it turned out that the font would consume more paper than others. That's why the help of the rich would be handy here.

2. For about ten or more years of their life, people are children and like to spend their free time with games and toys. That's why it is important to make the games and toys more environmentally friendly. A game or toy can be more environmentally friendly by consuming less resources or by providing a greater educational value. However, it is very important to make the game or toy very popular too, because otherwise the children would not really want to play with it. A rich person or alliance could support the creation of such popular eco games and toys, setting a competition between game developers with alike material resources, and rewarding them according to their success. Árpád Fekete, for example, had the idea to create a computer game which would be about saving the life on Earth in the 21st century, by cooperation. In this case, the term for game campaign would coincide with the term for environmentalist/political campaign. For the environment, it seems to be better if the computer game is turn-based and multi-player at one computer, or hot-seat. For the environment, it also seems to be better if there are parts of the game which can be played without a computer too, promoting new games which are more environmentally friendly. It is just a matter of money and brain to create such a game.

Quote:
My name is Arpad Fekete (Fekete Árpád). I'm a Hungarian programmer by profession, I regret that I was a Christian, and I want a better future in which I have health, money, girlfriend and honour (from my environmentalist deeds).

Arpad Fekete (AF2), you post caused me to laugh, but I don't think you meant to be funny. You are concerned about font size and toys while your country is suffering from industrialization just as every country is.

http://www.countriesquest.com/europe/hu ... issues.htm

You regret that you were Christian (why?) and you are hoping for more health, wealth and sex through your concern for the environment. I'm not making fun of you, but really, your post is hilarious!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:13 pm 

You used to be looking for the best ways to reduce population to sustainable before nature does it the hard way, and now little garbage like saving ink??
What happened to you?
From something very major to something laughably minor. :-k :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 pm 

Good luck finding the right girl, Arpad. I remember praying to God about it just before my future wife waltzed into my life.
I hear you about trying to convince people to have one child or less, and to reduce their eco-footprint to 1/20th as we have.
I am afraid Nature will take its course; the population will crash around mid century, and in a millennium or so, AETM and the completion of the 6th Great Extinction, including humans, will occur.
The human species on this planet certainly failed God by not replenishing the Earth and other sins like lust, sloth, and greed. I would also add, general stupidity to mankind's failure as a species.
2 million years or so to make up for what humans have done, with God's ways of nature.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:32 am 

Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Good luck finding the right girl, Arpad. I remember praying to God about it just before my future wife waltzed into my life.
I hear you about trying to convince people to have one child or less, and to reduce their eco-footprint to 1/20th as we have.

Go Go Go Johnny ... while some of us have not had any beautiful children at all. I'm glad that you have had one. Was it not lovely that you had one? Some of us had none.

I am afraid Nature will take its course; the population will crash around mid century, and in a millennium or so, AETM and the completion of the 6th Great Extinction, including humans, will occur.

nature will take it's course. So?

The human species on this planet certainly failed God by not replenishing the Earth and other sins like lust, sloth, and greed. I would also add, general stupidity to mankind's failure as a species.
2 million years or so to make up for what humans have done, with God's ways of nature.

And then .... it is up to us ... right?