EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:30 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

This is a touchy subject, to be sure, but maybe a little fiery discussion isn't a bad thing. What do you think of the relationship between religion and environmentalism, if you think there is one at all? I know there is a direct link between Mormon and non-environmentalism (any Mormons I'm going to offend here? I doubt it), because Utah ranks, I believe, dead last on whether or not climate change is important. I think the rest of the US problem actually lies on our capitalist notions of being extremely competitive in a market-priced culture, and that gets in they way of what we think is right. However, there is in fact a Christian climate change advocacy group, which is nice, but it is very small.
Here's an interesting article:
http://www.scu.edu/ethics/practicing/fo ... son10.html
I'd also like to point out that I'm religious, but also very environmental. I find these views complementary - I believe in a higher power, so shouldn't I try to protect the Higher Power's planet?
And so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:20 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

For some reason it seems the more fundamental appraoch to religion has taken on an almost anti-science political stance. Environmentalism by its nature, is heavily tied to science. Thus, a difficult position for the vocal groups to support one science while opposing other scientific positions.

It also lends itself to the position that God will protect the environment if it actually gets that bad. It is similar to the position of some of the other groups that science will find a solution without the need for the individual to do anything which would inconvenience that individual.

Environmental problems are longer term and with longer term solutions which are not as readily seen either in impact or in mitigation. The shorter term issues such as the economy is far more pressing to most than whether the rising sea level will inundate the coast in the next century or a species of animal will go extinct because of our actions. Jobs are more important than owls, to drop back to an older environmental issue. The view that we can work on a solution later because we have so much time ignores the fact that any solution may take a lot of time.

To put it into the perspective of the farmer. When times get bad and you start dipping into your seed stock for food, you may be trading short term benefits for long term problems when your next years crop is that much smaller. The cycle may be a fatal one and you cannot rely on being able to get new seed stock from your neighbors because they too are having to cut it a close as possible with their seed stocks. Short term solutions and long term problems.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:52 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

It's hard to take any religion seriously on the matter of ecological stewardship when they refuse to address the most central contributor to the problem - overpopulation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:15 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Yes, they totally forget in Genesis the very first commandment from God to "replenish the Earth". Instead they miss-interpret the "fill the Earth" part to shoulder to shoulder humanity over the globe, or infinite Earth dogma.
It seems that many religions cause excessive breeding, some far worse than others. The initiation of the peaceful, supposedly, religion 2K years ago has caused over-compassion and over-tolerance, both very negative ecological attributes. Plus they allow for the spread of the kill cult which also does not really care about methane turnover in progress.
Personally, I take the involved deism of AA as my spirituality.
I would like to think that God will intervene on our behalf, and stop methane turnover by a miracle. I have experience a number of personal miracles, so do believe He may stop GTE. Then again, He may just let Earth go as a planet with a biosphere, and the not so smart humans.