EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: China's terrible choice
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:28 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

No question that China is on the cutting edge of modern change but she is paying a horrendous cost. Murderous coal dust blanikets most of its cities, particularly in the North. They are trying slowly to address the problem but presently it is killing folks in the millions.

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/ ... -end-sight

There is hope for the future with all the alternatives(Solar, wind, hydro, nuclear) that China is producing full bore. But if anyone thinks that China has a serious timeline for phasing out fossil fuel, this energy projection they offer to 2050 should supply the answer. Not even close.

http://eaei.lbl.gov/sites/all/files/LBL ... 2011_1.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:02 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

China is self-destructing from long term overpopulation. Even with millions dying early deaths from pollution, momentum keeps shoving it up toward 1.4 billion. Their decision to keep up their huge emissions is a death sentence for most of the Earth's species, including humans.
This is even though they will lose most of their people by mid century during the crash.
Apparently their brains only work for short term thinking, and their morals are low and questionable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:09 am 
New User
New User

Well, as far as I've seen, China is trying to implement clean energy but it's going to take a long time. Look at this chart - wind power has already overtaken nuclear: http://www.statista.com/markets/5/energ ... -in-china/

I'm sure it will eventually overhaul fossil fuels as well. One of the main problems in China is the car - they really need to concentrate on electrical solutions to try and get rid of some of that smog.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:08 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Philly76 wrote:
Well, as far as I've seen, China is trying to implement clean energy but it's going to take a long time. Look at this chart - wind power has already overtaken nuclear: http://www.statista.com/markets/5/energ ... -in-china/

Nuclear is another alternative to fossil fuel. It is wind's relationship to coal that would be significant.

Quote:
I'm sure it will eventually overhaul fossil fuels as well.

Are you sure of that? Better check with Chinese projections to 2050.

http://eaei.lbl.gov/sites/all/files/LBL ... 2011_1.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:46 pm 

Johhny Electriglide wrote:
China is self-destructing from long term overpopulation. Even with millions dying early deaths from pollution, momentum keeps shoving it up toward 1.4 billion. Their decision to keep up their huge emissions is a death sentence for most of the Earth's species, including humans.
This is even though they will lose most of their people by mid century during the crash.
Apparently their brains only work for short term thinking, and their morals are low and questionable.

With their projected increases in emissions and the US also increasing total carbon, along with many others, it looks like the 2023 to the methane tipping point could be this decade instead, and only 5 to 7 years instead of 9 to implement global less than 10% 2000AD GHG emissions levels. Some think it is too late now, and others stick to the overly optimistic views. No one likes bad news, but they care less for future generations. The problem is that the people alive now and in the 2040s will suffer the most. That is only around 34 years to the peak population and deadly crash, AND it will definitely be too late to stop the methane turnover process that Miltie and others know nothing or too little about.
34 years ago it was 1980, and I had finished much of my dead end pro pilot with 9 ratings career thanks to Affirmative Action's reverse discrimination on people who had no slave owning relatives in the past, over 100 years after slavery.. I had switched to carpentry and construction again from high school days and made foreman the hard way that year. With Adonis strength and 138 IQ, I was one of the best for 23 years before my war wounds hit harder and harder with traumatic arthritis, plus pay stagnated 20 years because of the Mex Invasion still going on after 33 years of my noticing it in Arizona. Even though I was a geology major, I ended up in Aviation Technology and Instruction, fixed, multi, inst., and rotary wing, and continued my scientific studies in many areas. I am not one of the ignorant immoral masses. I designed and built my solar house and Earthship in pain at God's Will. I also have lived the 3 R's because it is the moral thing to do. One child was the biggest thing, and really was, (before 1998, mathematically, if you care) the biggest thing anyone could do. Now it is that(or better yet zero kids for 20+ years) AND reduce global emissions 90% in 7 years or less to save ours and 86% or so of all other species.
Doubters and those who are too stupid to understand or too greedy to care, should be composted for the good of the soil and all species except ocean bottom thermal vent life. The immediate effect of those 6 billion gone would be a not quite enough reduction in HGHGs. Those left would have to change their way of living, if they don't already live like me and other deep green people.