EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:19 pm 
New User
New User

I’m working at getting the word out to like-minded organizations and schools about an educational film I shot from 2009-2013 called Glacial Balance (glacialbalance.com) so wanted to ask for others' help in spreading the word about its availability. It is for sale for both educational and personal use. My goal is to make the film available to any, and every, school and teacher that feels it can be put to good use as part of their curriculum. To do that, I'm making the film available on a sliding scale basing pricing on a case by case basis, working with any school's budget. Any requests or inquiries can reach me at ethan@glacialbalance.com.

Glacial Balance is a country-by-country journey along the spine of the Andes, providing a narrative of climate change impacts on communities. At the same time we visit with an international array of scientists studying these glaciers while they still exist. Being a filmmaker, and not a scientist, my goal when approaching the subject was to communicate difficult scientific concepts in understandable language. However, I wanted to do this without relying on a narrator, but allow the locals and the scientists to narrate the story through edits of long-form interviews.

The film is also available to license for non-profit & for-profit screenings. Feel free to get in touch if you'd like more information or can suggest any outlets where I can reach more people who would be interested in exploring the subject matter.

Ethan Steinman
ethan@glacialbalance.com

—————

“Few things are changing as fast on our home planet as the cryosphere–the frozen portion of the earth’s surface, which is melting quickly. And nowhere faster or with more grievous effect than along the Andes, as this piercing film makes clear!”
Bill McKibben - Author, Educator, Environmentalist

“Mountain glacier demise preludes the fate of the great ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica, if humanity does not come to its senses soon. Steinman’s film wakes us up to the danger by hearing directly from the ones suffering the consequences of society’s inaction.”
James Hansen - Fmr. Head, NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies;
Adjunct Professor, Columbia University Earth Institute

“See firsthand how changes in the annual patterns of glacier melt forces people to alter what they plant and the consequent diet they eat... as well as how these changes impact basic energy consumption in societies”
David Brock - National Science Teachers Association

“Climate change is happening. Glacial Balance challenges us to think ahead and start a dialogue as to what our communities worldwide need to do to adapt to it.”
Laura Ballou - DC New Movies Examiner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:19 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Here is another new one;
New Video: Climate, Jetstream, Polar Vortex

Posted on 5 February 2014 by greenman3610

This is a re-post from Climate Crocks

This is the first video to include interviews conducted at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting in San Francisco in December.

I started out with a focus on what we were hearing about extreme events, then took a little jog when the latest extreme even presented itself – our current polar vortex, which is a pretty good textbook example of the kind of weather that we may be seeing more of, paradoxically, in this case, cold snap made more likely by increasingly lazy jet stream flow.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/new-vid ... ortex.html