Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building reefs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:16 am 
New User
New User

Happy Valentines day everyone.
I'd like to tell you about something some friends of mine showed me, while I was on a fishing
trip , about two hours off-road from Darwin. Oz.
We were fishing in an area called eight mile hole. The way we fish is fairly simple.
Get in boat. Travel very fast to fishing spot,(except when trolling lures behind boat.)
Either way, drink beer, and usually lots of it.
Not that I'm advocating that, of course. Anyway,we were drinking stubbies( small beer bottle.)
By the time we got near to our spot, we had collected quite a few (a lot) of empty stubbies
and one of the guys told me to come over and give him a hand getting rid of the empties.
As we slowed the boat down, he grabbed the sharpening steel ( a 40cm long, cylindrical, length
of steel. Thickness of your index finger-ish, used for sharpening fishing knives)
He held the handle of that in one hand and an empty stubby, by the top of the neck, with the other hand.
While leaning over the side, he dropped the steel into the top of the beer bottle.
When it hit the bottom of the bottle, it popped the glass base off in a perfect circle.
Which fell into the deep briny blue.
But, he was left holding a perfectly intact glass bottle, with a small hole in one end and
a large hole at the other end. He dropped that over the side and told me.
When the bottle settles on the bottom of the sea, small fish and the like use it as habitat.
It breaks down naturally, albeit very slowly and provides shelter.
Man, I thought that was so cool, I decided to open another carton.

NB: the boat driver was sober . Glass is more or less sand. Glass can be dangerous underfoot, so cans
are better( you can get more beer onto the boat) they can be crushed when empty and stored on the boat. Not thrown overboard.i am not saying , litter the beaches with baseless bottles. We were in deep water, along way off the coast . Happy Valentines day.
Thanks for your time. Should make a video eh.
Thanks. Laurie.