[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Best Environmental Candidate?

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Looking ahead to the 2020 election, was wondering what people thought as to who is currently the best candidate for the environment. Currently , but I was wondering if others had a different perspective on the environmental plans that have been put out thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:19 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

I think the environmental position is but one aspect to consider. You can support the best environmental candidate ever, but if there is not sufficient support for election it becomes a potential problem if the more electable but lesser environmental candidate losses to the worse environmental candidate. It will not be a problem as long as everyone supports the better environmental candidate after the primaries. I mention this because the "Bernie or None" approach by some in the 2016 election helped bring the worst environmental candidate into office.

As long as we can keep the worst candidate out we are making some improvement. A sad but true situation for us all.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:38 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:10 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I think a problem with Bernie is (1) he lost his momentum - even though it was unfair, he lost the nomination and thus in many people's minds he is a loser <not mine> (2) he has gotten too old and probably won't be able to do two terms.

So while he may be the best candidate for the ecology and although I do agree with a lot of what he says, I won't vote for him in the primary. If he gets the nomination though, I will vote for him in the General Election.

I haven't decided who I will vote for yet.

One thing I did learn is that in the general election, I will not vote for a third party. Voting against the mostly corporate lap-dog Republican party is too important and voting third party is not a vote against those like Trump and Moscow Mitch.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:46 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Here is my candidate!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I-PQxu ... DsW9RYCXiM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:35 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:26 pm 

Well, finally a politician talks about overpopulation since Nixon in 1969. Both parties have no courage to face the elephant in the room, but Bernie finally did. I would like to see a Bernie/Tulsi ticket. It seems the powers that be and the too little too late crowd along with XR people ignorant of; ocean heat already melting the Arctic sea ice cover on ESAS's1400GTs of methane clathrate deposits at 50 m, which will take 3 years after a large enough area is opened, to begin mass methane blowouts, and exponential heat gain to near thermal max at near 100% global humidity and cloud cover.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I like Bernie but fear he is too old to get a second term.

But basically, I'll vote for mostly and perhaps all Democrats right now. That is unless the GOP turns around and starts working for the people instead of the oligarchs.

And the Dems aren't innocent of that, but simply right now the lesser of the two evils.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:33 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Would have liked to see Bernie as the nominee, he would have been fantastic for environmental issues. At this point I'll vote for Biden come the general election, only real option and the only alternative to the absolute mess we have now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:46 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I agree. Voting for anybody but Biden helps Trump and we must get rid of him. He is the worst environmental candidate in modern times.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:45 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:25 pm 

It is a bummer that so much fraud has gone on. Looking at the graph showing Arctic sea ice collapse, the tipping point of methane turnover, was 1980, and 40years for CO2 momentum puts zero global emissions should have been 1940 and population control globally should have started in 1880. So, who are you going to blame? When it was known, Nixon addressed the democratic congress, who with Carter chickened out on doing anything to lower the polluting US overpopulation, and leading the world back in 1969. Then Earth Day One and on with no rapid population reduction strategy and too late to stop methane runaway by easier methods than the present aerosol event 20% larger than Toba and its dismal 1% survival rate, 11 year global winter with caveats. Still, that is within the dormancy ability and actually much better than an extinction event worse than the Permian.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:01 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Well, thankfully we did get the lesser of the two evils.

The problem with the Democratic party though is they are acting like conservative Republicans of old. Biden got elected mostly because many people voted against Trump, not for Biden.

The Democrats need to get back to being the party of the working class and strong environmentalists. If the Republicans are going to act like the UK Torry party, the Democrats need to act like the Labor party and the green party combined. Give is someone we want to vote for instead of someone to use to vote against the greater of the two evils.

We also need to get rid of propaganda disguised as news. I don't know how to do that though.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:19 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:43 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I'm an older guy, but I lean with the more progressives like Bernie, AOC and the like. I guess I never stopped being a hippie. The media didn't turn me into the 'me generation'.

I've seen well over 90% of the wildlife disappear from the Everglades. In ponds where there used to be thousands of wading birds, I can now count fewer than 10.

The lagoon where the fish used to almost jump in your boat is all but dead now. I don't fish it any more, but when my neighbor actually catches one, which is rare, it has tumors on it and it gets thrown back in the water.

We need the new green deal, but of course, corporate profits are at stake so there is a lot of propaganda disguised as news out there.

Capitalism has failed us. I don't know how to fix it, communism wasn't the answer, but capitalism depends on infinite growth, and we can't have infinite growth in a closed system.

Humans are like an algae bloom, but in slow motion, and we are killing our host 'pond', the Earth, and there is no where to go when we kill this one.

Bob