[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Our Collective Travel Obession

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:10 pm 
New User
New User

I have been wondering lately about the huge increase in the number of people who seem obessed with travel, specifically airline travel.
In my opinion this is one of the worst GHG contributors,for a number of reasons, but my thoughts were mostly about the reasons behind why so many people are flying these days.
Are people searching for something missing in their lives, family connection and social interaction perhaps? Or is it something else? I know there has been a big push to get people accustomed to this while they are still in school but that does not explain the whole situation.
Many of the people I know including those who self identify as environmentalists fly on a regular basis. This just makes no sence to me.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:21 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

We're a nation of immigrants both externally and internally. That means we have family all over the place and that goes with proliferating opportunities all over. Planes are a useful vehicle. Until we develop real local communities I can't see that the frequent use of airplane travel would be any surprise or requiring profound analysis.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:28 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

My cat Ki-Ki cannot pass up the chance to climb into a new box or plastic bag. He's done this literally hundreds of times but he can't help himself: he simply must know what's inside.

Humans are like that; places we haven;t been call to us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:02 pm 
New User
New User

I agree,with both of your posts Dingo and Iowanic ,very true that our families and our curiosity are part of what gets us to travel across country or further. Maybe we help create some of this situation by not encouraging our children to make a life closer to where they come from?
But my pondering is more about the drastic rise in flight as a first holiday choice. Folks here used to take maybe one big trip in a lifetime, now it is common for those same people to take two maybe three trips part way round the world every year. For a handfull of days each, this just does not compute for me.
Each flight by a small family creates more ghg emissions than their collective lives do for the rest of the year.
My wonder is that many of these same people claim to care about all sorts of environmental issues but can not grasp that one choice they might make each year wipes out all the good they have sought to do? It is almost like we seem to have blinders on when the source of environmental destruction is ourselves.
Hope this doesn't come off as a rant I am honestly trying to understand the thought process involved that can justify the harm/benefit ratio of such travel for those that are aware of their impact.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:50 pm 

Kids are not taught the immorality of fossil fuel use. Instead the marvel of flying, like sugar, is addictive. I know I was hooked for 30 years on ASMEL, H, I to the CFI and AGI level of mastery. I also was getting into population science, geology, and ecology around that time.
People will sadly have to accept that the jet age is over, the diesel age is over, and all except Gen IV nuclear age is over. All the traveling from suburbs, to three different trash trucks down the street every Friday idiocy, all driven by growth only economics, human over-breeding, and general stupidity with the ignorance from it. Greed and selfishness/self-centeredness, along with over-tolerance, especially of crowds, are all negative ecological traits that were much less 11K yrs. ago.
Some have always wanted to explore, or are unhappy living where they are. Instant communications and fast travel have hooked civilization into an addiction to fossil fuels and industrial output, farming, and transportation. The overpopulation started with the use of the dirty crap, on top of over-tolerance to the noise, choking foul air, towns with fixed agriculture, and even eventual dis-connect with nature. We went to the moon and Voyager is outside the solar system, yet we are virtually trapped in this biosphere on Earth
We can still travel with electric vehicles including solar gliders, electric vehicles and hybrids for a very small emissions average. The return of sails to water travel. More bicycles, and more walking, with jobs and relatives nearby. Of course, the main thing is a vastly reduced population of people who do not travel far. All nutrition filled by local agriculture, with no 400HP diesel help. Even horses have to be limited, or else we'll be knee deep in it.
Eisenhower's Highway System opened it up for family car travel and RVs, to the jammed up freeways of the monstropolises of the USA. Wasting gas at idle (unlike my Mariner). The worst thing was LBJ's growth only economy and stupid immigration change from a great system.
The rich can no longer really have their HGHG blowing yachts and jets, and the middle class can no longer jet around. People must realize the carbon footprint of all they do including the multiplier of child and children going up geometrically.
It's 2 Minutes to Midnight, or the party is almost over, and the hangover will be a killer. #-o :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:21 am 
New User
New User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:56 pm 

Farmer; "Modern farming is possible only with cheap abundant fuel, what other options could we have for the production of our food?"

Well, many are trying GMO for more production and less water use and pesticide/herbicide use. Some are into algae for food and others organic plastics to eat. Nuts!
Don't forget the energy used to pump water, process and distribute the food supply.
The only option is to let nature take its course with the crash of the human population. :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:40 am 
New User
New User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:54 pm 

Sustainable agriculture requires a sustainable population. I have in my hands the gold fobbed pocket watch with little gold double blade folding knife. Remembering all the scientific discussions we had. My Great Uncle Rex Cox was a contemporary of Borlaug and Professor Emeritus of Agriculture at the U of M.
They thought they would be helping people, but instead just kept the stimulus going for a classic half bell mammalian population crash.
If we keep burning fossil fuels, CAGW will worsen exponentially and we will go extinct with nearly all or all other species, including thermal vent life. If we don't keep burning fossil fuels, then production and distribution would fall to cause mass starvation or malnutrition to diseases, and wars, et al, and the population will crash, then very slowly recover---maybe. Temperature rise will stay below 1.8*C and havoc will reign for 400 years. That is the hopium. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:39 am 
New User
New User