EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Is natural gas worth the environmental damage it causes?
a) Of course! It's cheap and abundant and creates jobs. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
b) There are much better sources of energy available, but natural gas is necessary in the mix, for now. 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
c) No way! We should go for 100% renewable energy, NOW. 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Is natural gas worth it?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:52 pm 
New User
New User

Is natural gas worth the environmental hazards presented in extracting and processing it? The boom in natural gas production has not been without controversy. The process of hydraulic fracturing has spawned widespread protest, especially from environmental groups, who say the process has not been proven to be safe. Other factors also detract from the benefits of natural gas. For example, hydraulic fracturing (often called “fracking") requires large amounts of silica sand and enormous quantities of water to accomplish. Many areas are being mined for silica sand, and local citizens are alarmed about the numerous sandy pits that are opening gaping holes in once pristine landscapes and productive farmland given over to natural gas production. In general, however, the advantages of natural gas over coal are significant across the board when all factors of economics, energy production and ecology are considered.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:13 am 
New User
New User

Natural gas is a hydrocarbon fuel with a somewhat higher hydrogen component than petroleum fuels or coal. When it is burned, a bit less CO2 is created and more H2O but it isn't an answer to the greenhouse gas problem.
In my part of the world, our electricity is produced by hydro power (good) and by natural gas power plants built right over the wells (no fracking). We don't currently have a nuclear power plant in Thailand, but the threat is looming as demand for electrical power increases. I've seen fields full of solar panels which is encouraging although I'd rather see them installed on roofs. It took energy to produce and install those solar panels and natural gas is a preferable "bridging" energy source in the move to sustainable sources. Here we have big trucks, cars and even 3 wheel taxis running on compressed natural gas. It's slightly better for the environment than diesel or gasoline but we should use this energy to move on to much better sources.

Fracking sounds truly wrong to me.