EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:14 pm 
New User
New User

Hey everyone. The environment has always been one of things that fascinates me the most, and I chose my studies accordingly. Now I have this idea of a novel that has been at the back of my head for many years - I dont want to go into too many details but it is basically the story if an average person who becomes acquainted with environmental issues, travelling to different places and seeing problem zones first hand. Now I wanted to hear your opinion - do you think it is too déjà-vu? Personally I have read a lot of autobiographies or textbooks that trace the mental and physical journey of a person becoming environmentally aware, but I have not reach much fiction on it. It's all still in its infancy, but if anyone has any pointers, also regarding publishing in general, please let me know your thoughts!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:08 pm 
New User
New User

Hi!
I hope to get you right, but it should not be an scientific dosument, or book, but more a novel or in the genre field of fantasy? That would be a very nice idea, but hard to say as I do not know the whole content now - but keep on going!
Is this your first book and have you ever published something else first? I am not an expert in these fields, but my sister went trough the same process, got finally publsihed last year, therefore I know, it is a hard way, but worth it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:27 pm 
New User
New User

Hi kindler, thanks for your input, I appreciate it! No it is definitely not a scientific paper - more a novel that also describes the path of a person who becomes aware of environmental problems in the world. But not fantasy, it would be set in our time and be a "real" story.
No I have never published before - which is why I also asked for advice on that topic. Great that your sister managed to do it, could you tell me a bit more about the path that lead her there? (i.e. how did she find a publishing house, how long did it take her, was it successful, etc). Much appreciated!!
And if anyone else has views on these topics, please do not hesitate!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:12 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Here are some ideas http://ameg.me/

It is something to think about, by the time you publish it has happened. A skeleton in a chair with a pen?
Could well be ESAS and Natalia's 50 GT methane burp happens this August. Then in two years, 1*F per year rise until 10 when almost all surface life is dead. We are already at +4.5 with 3*F masked by soots and aerosols, and it will add 9*F, and then along with another up to 4,650 GTs to a possible 400*F. Everything is going "faster than anticipated".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:43 pm 
New User
New User

Of course, oh man, she had hard times, bescause she got so many rejections from big publishing houses that in the end she was very frustrated and even questioned her own skills, but as we told her many times, of course many publsihers or agents have to reject manuscripts, there are so many writers out there, the chances to get a contract are small. She kept on going and finally found relief at one vanity publishing house, called novum, which helped her to publish like she always wanted. Her luck was that she had a great deal of voice concerning everything from layout to cover etc.