EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intention-Action-Gap
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:41 pm 
New User
New User

Have you ever wondered why there is such a big gap between knowing about environmental risks and doing something about it?
What role could marketing play in this?

Let’s find out!

A few researchers from Berlin are trying to get an answer.
Help your environment and take an active step by filling out this questionnaire!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

Post subject: Re: Intention-Action-Gap
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:00 am 
New User
New User

Hej there!

I think you guys are right. That's a pretty tough challenge. I mean, I know that leaving on my wifi-router over night is bad and I still do it every night... I'm just too lazy, I guess.

I like your questionnaire, I will share it.

But I'm still wondering what to do about the gap...
Should the government force people to act pro-environmental?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:52 pm 
New User
New User

Hello crn!

Thanks for sharing and filling out the questionnaire.

I also think it's bad to force someone to do anything. In my head I wish people wanna do things because of their intrinsic motivation.
Maybe we should concentrate more on schools? Shouldn't they make sure that the kids know everything about environmental risks and how to act pro-environmental?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:12 am 
New User
New User

Hi there!

Of course, intrinsic motivation is always the best... but even intrinsic motivation is not 100% intrinsic.

I think it's not good to put every important issue on the schools. They're meant to do everything... I think the parents are responsible. If you get the parents to believe in acting pro-environmental then you'll get the kids as well.

I still think the government needs to do more. In some places the government is giving benefits to the people if they buy an electric car or put solar cells on the roof. I think this is the best way to change peoples behaviour.

What else can the government do?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:34 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Overpopulation and its demands produced industrialization, which, with the use of fossil fuels, became gross overpopulation of fire apes. Just like a couple other times in geologic history, the CO2 buildup hit 1.5*C, inducing methane turnover. We are now in process of methane runaway, possibly stoppable with a large super volcanic eruption(s) or equivalent for a couple years. Mass death of humans is not far off. The heat first kills our crops, then us. Some will be in bio- underground fortresses, and maybe last a thousand years down there. The effect produces 100% global 200,000 foot thick clouds rapidly with the abrupt heat gain, followed by no solar thermal gain for 100K years. Storms on the surface with atmospheric change to toxic, wipe out the remaining soil. There is the problem of H2S oceans, radioactive leaks and waste for the triple kill. It takes almost all life, and all on the surface, with several million years to evolve new surface life, and 30 million to reach maximum species diversity. It has been too late all this century to reduce population to long term sustainable (now, near zero), and to go near zero carbon. It was anti-any-nuclear who stopped our last chance with Clinton destroying great and ready plans for Gen 4 which could have replaced all other generations of nuclear and fossil fuels power, along with solar and other HGHG emissions free power. Now, everyone could die today and it would still go on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSnrDRU6_2g