EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline
New User
New User

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 pm
Posts: 1
I am currently doing an EPQ on architecture which is basically a project worth half an a level that goes along side the rest of my subjects where you conduct independent research into an area that interests you. The question I have chosen is "Does a high focus on environmental sustainability restrict the progression of architecture?" because I hope to study architecture at university.
This is the main title for my projects however I would also appreciate any comments/ opinions anyone has on:
Is sustainability of a buildings or its aesthetics more important?
what are your opinions on carbon neutral buildings and do you think its a reliable long term solution to buildings being bad for the environment?
do you have any examples of eco-friendly buildings that look unattractive or attractive?
Does a high focus on how eco friendly a building is push architecture into the future by making architects think in different ways ?
Can beautiful architecture and sustainability always have to "compete" or can they work together?
Any opinions you have on any of these subjects would be very useful in my research into my EPQ project. I will full reference anyone's comment that is used in my project and appreciate any thoughts you have weather you have a career in architecture or sustainability or not. THANKYOU!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2689
Location: Central Colorado
I wrote to Gore in 1995 that all new buildings should be Earthship/straw bale independent solar/wind. I started my own in 1997, saving the most by doing it myself with my wife and young son as helpers. That which I didn't know I got books on. I bought components and gathered materials and scraps for two years, shopping around for sales. After two years the energy of manufacture was paid off and four more years all materials loans including land were paid off. There are a lot of profiteers to cost you too much and installers to do work you could easily do yourself. Including design and plans. People still tend to want everything done for them, which adds tremendously to cost.

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 am 
Offline
New User
New User

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:52 am
Posts: 5
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
I wrote to Gore in 1995 that all new buildings should be Earthship/straw bale independent solar/wind. I started my own in 1997, saving the most by doing it myself with my wife and young son as helpers. That which I didn't know I got books on. I bought components and gathered materials and scraps for two years, shopping around for sales. After two years the energy of manufacture was paid off and four more years all materials loans including land were paid off. There are a lot of profiteers to cost you too much and installers to do work you could easily do yourself. Including design and plans. People still tend to want everything done for them, which adds tremendously to cost.

Good for you sir. I am not as active as you are but i do try to do some of the labor myself which i can do easily as long as it didnt requires any technicality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2689
Location: Central Colorado
joshKINDLON1 wrote:
I am currently doing an EPQ on architecture which is basically a project worth half an a level that goes along side the rest of my subjects where you conduct independent research into an area that interests you. The question I have chosen is "Does a high focus on environmental sustainability restrict the progression of architecture?" because I hope to study architecture at university.
This is the main title for my projects however I would also appreciate any comments/ opinions anyone has on:
Is sustainability of a buildings or its aesthetics more important?
what are your opinions on carbon neutral buildings and do you think its a reliable long term solution to buildings being bad for the environment?
do you have any examples of eco-friendly buildings that look unattractive or attractive?
Does a high focus on how eco friendly a building is push architecture into the future by making architects think in different ways ?
Can beautiful architecture and sustainability always have to "compete" or can they work together?
Any opinions you have on any of these subjects would be very useful in my research into my EPQ project. I will full reference anyone's comment that is used in my project and appreciate any thoughts you have weather you have a career in architecture or sustainability or not. THANKYOU!


https://www.earthshipglobal.com/

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:35 am 
Offline
New User
New User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:02 am
Posts: 13
Quote:
Thanks for sharing the reference to EarthshipGlobal. I've just registered for a custom writing company webinar by Michael Reynolds:
How to make your house perform like an earthship > THURSDAY, APRIL 16TH
and plan to add some more to my schedule


Next upcoming webinars that I'm considering now:

Water Design by Michael Reynolds >> Tuesday, April 21st
Electric Systems in Earthships by Benjamin Adams >> Friday, April 24th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:14 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm
Posts: 59
I bought a house built in 1950, before Air Conditioning. It's been added, but we never use it. We open windows and let the sea breeze drift through. (South Florida).

It's flat roofed so we installed polyurethane foam painted white to reflect the heat out of the atmosphere.

It's only 900 square feet which is perfect for 2 adults.

Most people buy/build more house than they need, put a dark roof on, and then run the AC. I read that more energy is used by Air Conditioners in the US than all the US Industrial uses.

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:12 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21385
Location: Southeastern US
Bob-a-rama wrote:
I bought a house built in 1950, before Air Conditioning. It's been added, but we never use it. We open windows and let the sea breeze drift through. (South Florida).

It's flat roofed so we installed polyurethane foam painted white to reflect the heat out of the atmosphere.

It's only 900 square feet which is perfect for 2 adults.

Most people buy/build more house than they need, put a dark roof on, and then run the AC. I read that more energy is used by Air Conditioners in the US than all the US Industrial uses.

Bob


The source for your AC energy use is WAY off .....

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/image ... 5/main.png

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:34 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm
Posts: 59
Your source does not include industrial uses.

That was the comparison and it was an article which sadly, I didn't keep, but it was most likely in Scientific American or an other reputable magazine that I subscribe to (on-line to save energy).

According to the US Government (not known to be a reputable source) https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/home ... nditioning

Three-quarters of all homes in the United States have air conditioners. Air conditioners use about 6% of all the electricity produced in the United States, at an annual cost of about $29 billion to homeowners. As a result, roughly 117 million metric tons of carbon dioxide are released into the air each year. To learn more about air conditions, explore our Energy Saver 101 infographic on home cooling.


My bold enhancement above - that's a lot of global warming gas.

And looking at your chart, it is the biggest energy hog in the house, for something that well over 99% of the humans that ever lived on earth never used. It's nothing but an energy waster so you don't have to be slightly uncomfortable. That to me says if you run the AC, you have no right to criticize anyone else who wastes energy.

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:20 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21385
Location: Southeastern US
Bob-a-rama wrote:
Your source does not include industrial uses.

That was the comparison and it was an article which sadly, I didn't keep, but it was most likely in Scientific American or an other reputable magazine that I subscribe to (on-line to save energy).

According to the US Government (not known to be a reputable source) https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/home ... nditioning

Three-quarters of all homes in the United States have air conditioners. Air conditioners use about 6% of all the electricity produced in the United States, at an annual cost of about $29 billion to homeowners. As a result, roughly 117 million metric tons of carbon dioxide are released into the air each year. To learn more about air conditions, explore our Energy Saver 101 infographic on home cooling.


My bold enhancement above - that's a lot of global warming gas.

And looking at your chart, it is the biggest energy hog in the house, for something that well over 99% of the humans that ever lived on earth never used. It's nothing but an energy waster so you don't have to be slightly uncomfortable. That to me says if you run the AC, you have no right to criticize anyone else who wastes energy.

Bob


So industrial use of air conditioning exceeds the other industrial energy uses by 45% of the residential uses? Not hardly.

Image

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:40 am 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm
Posts: 59
Ah, how we rationalize our wasteful use of the AC while we condemn others for using energy for things we don't like.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:13 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21385
Location: Southeastern US
Bob-a-rama wrote:
Ah, how we rationalize our wasteful use of the AC while we condemn others for using energy for things we don't like.


No, just pointing out inaccurate statements, which only serves to hurt the credibility of accurate statements. You for some reason focus on air conditioning when it is similar to the energy usage for lighting in industry and for the lighting/TV use in residential situations.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5802
Location: USA
Bob-a-rama wrote:
Most people buy/build more house than they need, put a dark roof on, and then run the AC. I read that more energy is used by Air Conditioners in the US than all the US Industrial uses.


I spent 8 years in HVAC manufacturing engineering and research. Your statement sounds extraordinarily off. Where did you read it, exactly?

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group