[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - skinny and dirty animals on a farm in southern Devon

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:25 pm 
New User
New User

Each year I spend holidays in southern Devon, always goes to the shopping bus from Kingsbridge to Plymouth. on a bus route there is a farm - if I remember correctly is called Harraton Farm is located just behind Aveton Gifford never seen such skinny and dirty cows, all around are bags of waste.I'm looking for a person, organization, which deals with the protection of animal rights and want to see what's happening on the farm.I'm not from uk, so I do not know where to write, but since 2007 I see the cows and I saw no animals in such bad shape, as on this farm! Please help!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:04 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Let me get this right - you are really affected by the state of the animals, but you don't even know the name of the farm? And this has been going on for years? Please... even if you are just on holiday there, what stops you from talking about this to locals, especially local police? or a phone call to the RSPCA?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 am 
New User
New User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:28 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Hello Alectra: If you are going again to the same place, why not ask one of people in the hotel about whom to approach? Explain why you are concerned - there may be local people who can help. Otherwise, you can write to the RSPCA - give as much detail as you can. if you can somehow get photos, even better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:00 am 
New User
New User

I wrote to the RSPCA, here's the answer:
"Thank you for contacting the RSPCA with your concerns.

The best course of action in this matter would be to contact your local council, which is Devon County Council on 0845 155 1015 and speak to their Animal Health department .
They are responsible for monitoring establishments that keep animals in this manner and ensuring that they meet the needs of the animals. They will certainly be able to investigate this matter."

I wrote message to Devon County Council but got no response.

it seems to me that nobody is interested :(

I do not have pictures of this place, but enough enter on google maps and see that the Farm is very well seen! I saw Farm only from the window of the bus.
I found a farm address in google:
Harraton Farm
Modbury, Ivybridge, Devon PL21 0SU
you can see here what I wrote about,
just paste this address in google maps.
anyway thanks for your help.
regards,
Alicja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:14 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:15 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Hi Alectra:

I had a look at Google pix but they show mostly the farm buildings and cottages and only one shot of cattle in a field. And they look quite happy and healthy.... so what exactly did you see? I note these are Friesian/Holstein dairy cattle - these can often show bony "points" especially around the hips, but this is not a sign of starvation - you would expect to see the ribs clearly and deep hollows along the spine (a slight dip along the spine is often seen in this breed but not a sign of starvation. Note that in many photographs on Google of this breed you are looking at fattened up show animals. As well, depending on when you saw the animals, a little "ribbiness" is not necessarily starvation - cows that suckle calves or produce lots of milk and are only on grass can lose some weight. As for mud on the animals, in a country where it rains often and long, cows can have very muddy legs and bodies (because they lie down to chew the cud) and need a good hose-down before milking. And what about the bags you saw? Were these like feedbags ( not uncommon around a farm), or clearly rubbish? Or plastic-wrapped silage (hay)?
PS I note that the cattle in the photograph are said to belong to Harraton Farm, and were photographed from a bend in the A379, the road that you would have come by.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm 
New User
New User

I gave up. I know how cows look like, which give plenty of milk, we have a lot of them in Poland. I maybe oversensitive, I wanted to check it out. I do not see sense continue this. simply for years on this farm, cows produce a lot of milk, so they look odd, (they look better in these photos than "live"), which claimed all of my Polish friends but none of the Englishman does not notice. and this barn is in such bad condition, because cows in England like fresh air even in winter. dirty cows stand on concrete all around is a lot of bags, loft tires, garbage. if there are no animals that I'd thought of no one lived there for years. everything is in bad condition and does not look like all the rest in Devon - nicely and richly. is why I was so puzzled and asked for this attention. Thanks for your time. Greetings!