Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gentle World
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:44 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Kind heart, gentle heart:

Rescue the drowning insect; carry the snail on the pavement to safety; return the helpless worm, writhing on concrete, to the sanctuary of Mother Earth.

Render help and kindness, wherever it is needed, to all life, great or small. Suffering has no boundaries, neither should compassion.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: Gentle World
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:15 pm 

I hope to take such care to "industrial" levels. We need more natural areas for the animals and plants to thrive but people are not willing to give up ownership of their land. For the real small creatures, a farming method known as zero till farming has distinct advantages to the micro ecology of the soil including small mammals like shrews. For bigger animals, tree shelter belts have been shown to greatly increase the fertility of near-by soil and hold the soil to prevent erosion and water loss on sharper inclines that are hard to farm anyways. These shelter belts provide homes and transport corridors for wildlife of all sorts from mice to moose. Along roads is the opportunity to create fine wetlands and micro-ecosystems if we just grew native plants instead of grass in the ditches. Rich people like the late Steve Irwin (Crocodile hunter guy) have donated money to buy ranch lands when prices were low due to Mad Cow Disease and turn them into new parks and wildlife preservation areas. I hope to demonstrate many of these ideas with research and my own efforts at agricultural endeavors on unproductive land. Tree farming and developing wetland areas that can be used for mink and muskrat fur farming will be two of such agricultural endeavors. You might be shocked with the fur farm goals but the idea behind it is to create fine wetland areas for wildlife including those two species along with hundreds of other prairie wetlands species that have been declining rapidly due to farmers eliminating all wetlands on their land. This loss of wetlands creates flooding downstream leading to the need to create dams and water reservoirs that eliminate even more wetlands due to regulated water levels. I love ferrets and small aquatic rodents called voles which are both basically small versions of mink and muskrats so I am sure I can provide maximum health and happiness for these creatures while pioneering new ways of raising them with computer controls and communal wild-like living quarters. My focus is on other rodents though and specifically the fossorial ones like ground squirrels. Ground squirrel burrows provide homes for a wide variety of species... over 100 are specified as directly connected with the burrows (from worms and insects to amphibians and reptiles to birds of many types to top carnivores whose population follows closely to the ground squirrel population fluctuations). Saving the fossorial animals on the prairies will make the greatest difference to the world ecology of any other animal group (this includes meerkats in Africa and mara in Argentina and bilbies in Australia) due to ground water inputs and increased levels, soil health, river health with decreased run-off and increased springs of ground-filtered water.

ps when I was a kid, I collected thousands of rain-storm earthworms and made compost bins for under people's sinks and sold them at cost for the bins