All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:34 pm 
New User
New User

The AV Magazine Launches Free Digital Edition

120-Year-Old Publication Covers Use of Animals in Science

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Crystal Schaeffer
June 28, 2012 cschaeffer@aavs.org

Jenkintown, PA⎯The AV Magazine, a publication of the national education and advocacy organization AAVS (American Anti-Vivisection Society), launched its digital edition today, available at: www.aavs.org/AVmag.

With each issue focused on a specific topic, such as animals in education, animal sanctuaries, or primates and science, the AV Magazine has long been a resource for serious animal protection advocates with concerns about the suffering of animals in experimentation. In recent years, the quarterly magazine has featured special double issues with reports and supplements showcasing original research and in-depth analysis. A 2011 report, “Primates by the Numbers,” compiled data from FOIA requests of U.S. government agencies and included graphics revealing the use and transportation of primates for research. It was called “excellent” by a national science reporter.

“The AV Magazine offers a unique, informed perspective that derives from our years of experience working on behalf of animals in laboratories,” commented AAVS President Sue Leary, and Executive Editor of the AV Magazine. “It’s time for us to share it with a larger audience, especially now that there is a renewed public interest in animal testing, such as ending experimentation on chimpanzees and cosmetic tests.”

The most recent issue, “World Congress on Alternatives” (www.aavs.org/AVmag/WorldCongress), reports on 2011’s leading international science and policy conference on alternatives to animal use in the life sciences. Crystal Schaeffer, Managing Editor, commented, “We’re particularly proud of this issue which brings people behind the scenes of a pretty exclusive conference. We invited many different writers, but also highlighted how AAVS plugs in to the big picture.”

AAVS has published a magazine since 1892, initially titled the Journal of Zoophily, produced jointly with the Women’s Branch of the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. AAVS founder and animal protection pioneer Caroline Earle White, who also wrote novels, was an Associate Editor. Ms. Leary said, “We’re confident that Mrs. White would appreciate that more people will now have the opportunity to become informed on the issues of animal experimentation and engage as citizens and consumers in order to help animals.”

###

The American Anti-Vivisection Society is the first non-profit animal advocacy and educational organization in the United States dedicated to ending the use of animals in research, testing, and education. Founded in Philadelphia in 1883, AAVS pursues its objectives through legal and effective advocacy, education, and support of the development of non-animal alternative methods.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:52 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Sure, campaign against the use of aniamls in science(tiny numbers) because the idea of campaigning for better animal welfare if farming(vast numbers) will not achieve your real aim of stopping science.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:17 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

My problem with this group is the duel standards for sanctuaries... they are encouraged if the animals were used for research but if they are a species going extinct, they attack such sanctuaries as evil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:36 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Ann Vole wrote:
My problem with this group is the duel standards for sanctuaries... they are encouraged if the animals were used for research but if they are a species going extinct, they attack such sanctuaries as evil

How can preserving a species or ecosystem be evil?

I know I am the "bring in the buldozers" guy around here but saving the Panda is a very nice thing that us humans do.

I hope you oppose their nutty ideas as strongly as I oppose ideas I find wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 am 

Tim the Plumber wrote:
How can preserving a species or ecosystem be evil?

I know I am the "bring in the buldozers" guy around here but saving the Panda is a very nice thing that us humans do.

I hope you oppose their nutty ideas as strongly as I oppose ideas I find wrong.
It is the basic focus of certain groups. Some people like me focus on the animals of the future... extinction is killing an infinite number of animals that will never be born. Some people focus on animals of the present and are called "animal welfare" activists. I like those people but often they miss the bigger picture like opposing hunting and culls when people like me see hunger and population cycles that cause much suffering of many species. These people that publish this magazine (at least some of them) are not concerned about the animals but rather are concerned about the attitudes of the people. They want everyone to think of animals as fellow humans and if you do not hold that view, you are in the same league as Hitler and Stalin and Po Pot. These type of people would rather a species go extinct then for humans to control their breeding and cage them... even if they are preventing extinction. The problem has nothing to do with the animals and everything to do with the attitudes of the humans involved.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:50 am 

Ann Vole wrote:

Ann .... Couldn't find anything to substantiate this?
What I did find was:

http://www.aavs.org/site/c.bkLTKfOSLhK6 ... vation.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:51 am 

Tim the Plumber wrote:
Sure, campaign against the use of aniamls in science(tiny numbers) because the idea of campaigning for better animal welfare if farming(vast numbers) will not achieve your real aim of stopping science.

AAVS wants to STOP science? Really?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:09 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

animal-friendly wrote:
Tim the Plumber wrote:

The anti-vivisection argument is that animals are being mis-treated in science.

That may more aniamls are suffering often much worse situations in farming is ignored. If the activists focused their efforts on this they would be pushing at an open door, they would have an enormous effect quickly making the lives of lots of animals a lot better.

That they focus on science where a comparitively few animals are use to have the enourmously positive effect of finding cures to the ailments of humanity reveals their true motivation is anti-science not anti-animal suffering.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:58 am 

animal-friendly wrote:
Ann Vole wrote:

What I did find was:

This is from dozens of discussions (both on-line and in person) with active members of anti-vivisection groups and past opposition to some conservation efforts that involved surgical alterations to the animals (including microchip implanting and ear tattoos and neutering/spaying). It may not be found in the official group information but like the article you linked to, the negative view of conservation efforts is common.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:32 am 

Quote:

Quote:
The anti-vivisection argument is that animals are being mis-treated in science.

Yes, that is one of their points.

Quote:
That many more animals are suffering often much worse situations in farming is ignored.

So don't ignore it!

AAVS doesn't make their awareness campaigns about farm animals. They have chosen one area of animal exploitation which is lab animals. Other organizations focus on farm animals.

There are many organizations who focus their attention on farm animals, while AAVS is concerned with animals held captive in labs. It's really no different from organizations who might be concerned with women's health while others are concerned with prostate cancer. Do you mind if human organizations focus their attention on different areas of concern?

Quote:
If the activists focused their efforts on this they would be pushing at an open door, they would have an enormous effect quickly making the lives of lots of animals a lot better.

But they are not focussed on the animal welfare of factory farms. They are focussed on animals in labs. They may be as concerned about the experience of animals in farms as they are concerned about animals in labs just as you or I might be concerned about prostate cancer while ALSO being concerned about child welfare, for instance. So what? Pick an area of concern, there are many .... and go for it if you feel the call!

Quote:
That they focus on science where a comparitively few animals are use to have the enourmously positive effect of finding cures to the ailments of humanity reveals their true motivation is anti-science not anti-animal suffering.

Do you really believe this? Because they are focussed on animals in labs means they are not concerned about other animals, such as animals on farms? One might take a stance when one sees what is happening to animals in labs and farms. No? Because they advocate, specifically, for the animals held in labs, means they are AGAINST science?

And maybe this is too much for you ....

You could take a stance too, if you wish. Maybe you've already taken one? Maybe you support a cause? Doctor's Without Borders or the Salvation Army? One does not negate the other. But sometimes we choose.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:43 am 

Ann Vole wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:
Ann Vole wrote:

What I did find was:

This is from dozens of discussions (both on-line and in person) with active members of anti-vivisection groups and past opposition to some conservation efforts that involved surgical alterations to the animals (including microchip implanting and ear tattoos and neutering/spaying). It may not be found in the official group information but like the article you linked to, the negative view of conservation efforts is common.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:52 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Quote:
Because they are focussed on animals in labs means they are not concerned about other animals, such as animals on farms? One might take a stance when one sees what is happening to animals in labs and farms. No? Because they advocate, specifically, for the animals held in labs, means they are AGAINST science?

The point is that if they were in it to promote animal wealfare then the numbers involved would automatically mean that they would be far more concearned with farming and would suceed.

Once the wealfare standards in farming have been raised the "right what about the lab aniamls?" argument would be a sinch.

That they don't focus on general captive animals but want to put obsticles in the way of scientific research tells the whole story.

If I was to campaign against illegal drugs on the grounds of health but had no trouble with alcohol then my true motivations would be clearly anti-change or to support the gangsters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:50 am 

animal-friendly, - just for your information - I assume you intended to comment but no comment was added after the quotes.