[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Most urgent un-addressed issue?

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 pm 
New User
New User

I'm a US resident and an academic with a business background. Much of what I've published is related to the human-animal relation, and since I'm a critical scholar, my work openly advocates for less or non-use of products that exploit and destroy non-human animals. I've resigned my position at the college (effective July 2014), and I'm taking my energy and advocacy for this issue into the not-for-profit sector.

I've done extensive research on the field to see where my energies might be most productive. I'd like to include in that research your thoughts. If you have a moment, please respond to this prompt:

What do you see as the most urgent animal welfare/rights/liberation issue (or issues) that is NOT being addressed (or is under-addressed)?

Really, these don't have to be long responses. I'd just like more input, and I thought the EnviroLink forum would be a great place to ask!

Thank you, in advance, for your thoughtful responses--I look forward to reading them!

my best,
cathy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:14 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Hello Cathy: I wish you well in your new direction/career/life! As a (now retired) neuroscientist who worked in research with non-human primates I must say that what I see (and have experienced many times over) as the biggest problem is the lack of understanding of animals , their behaviour and biology, by many animal rights advocates. This is combined with a lack of understanding of the scientific process (from procedural matters such as how drugs are developed and tested according to law, to the procedures to be followed to be allowed to use animals for research, and basic statistics and probability assessments), and of the basic rules of logic (such as the use of straw man or red herring arguments, and reasoning from the particular to the general), often with a lack of basic courtesy - one can have firm opinions as long as one is willing to present the reasons for those clearly, as well as being willing to listen to the other side and their reasons. A good example is the current discussion on this forum about animal testing where the AR person simply copies, without question, endless lists; does not seem to realize that videos and documentaries may not be what they look like, and will not explore a large body of scientific data and studies of animals that may help her to see real proof of what animals are and are not (and which would support some of her contentions but not others).

A second problemnever addressed is the consequences of NOT using animals. As someone I know once said, if animal research had been stopped in the middle of the last century, we would have a much better iron lung but he preferred having a polio vaccine. To-day, if animal research were stopped right now, humans will have to continue to live with schizophrenia, dementia, acquired brain damage, major depression, parkinson's disease and other nervous disorders, just to mention my own area of expertise. You never seem to see anyone in a wheel chair at AR demonstrations, or even with a walking stick.... and AR persons will defend their uses of modern medicine (such as insulin) by saying that they cannot do anything for the animals that (so unfortunately) have died in developing those drugs before AR came along to protest that use. Just this week many hailed the lab grown hamburger. Quite apart from the enormous cost of setting up even more factories, you cannot grow tissues in tap water or in a sugar solution - where are the nutrients that "hamburgers" grow from to come from? Why don't we admit that a cow does a much better job of producing hamburgers that are tastier too because of what she eats and because of the fat marbling of the very best beef (think Wagyu)? Why is it not considered that we simply cannot easily grow enough vegetarian food for all people on this world, even if we could change farming and pastoral societies to give up their animals for soy beans? Large areas of this world can be grazed but are unsuitable for crops unless with enormous input of fertilizers. Which is another thing livestock does very well: produce fertilizer. Many centuries have small farms had animals for their meat, milk and other produce while fertilizing their poor soil to grow crops with the animals' droppings. Even to-day, nothing of a slaughtered animal is wasted.

How are humans going to clothe themselves without wool and leather, and (dare I say it) fur? Cotton crops are fine but use lots of water and fertilizer. Plastic shoes and nylon use non-renewable resources....

How will society change if we are not allowed pets, or zoos? Will we care about animals if we have never been close to one, or stroked one, or have been responsible for not even a gold fish? And where are our pets supposed to go?

In all this, I am not denying that animals often suffer in to-day's society (although probably least in research). But rather than working for better understanding in humans, and for better conditions for many human beings in the developing world so their animals can have a better life (think of the plight of draught animals - owners put their families first, wouldn't everybody?), why is it that AR targets research, has been known to kill surrendered pets yet insists that humans have no rights but animals somehow do?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:03 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

"What do you see as the most urgent animal welfare/rights/liberation issue (or issues) that is NOT being addressed (or is under-addressed)?"

What we do not see addressed and acted on in enough quantity or in the time left, is the extinction of close to 90% of all species from human pollution that leads to Anthropocene Epoch Thermal Maximum. Most don't seem to have a clue to this disaster in species loss, which includes our own extinction.
Animal cruelty and testing is nothing compared to this!!!! Read up in environmental issues about it, and put your efforts into reducing human caused emissions at least 90% in 9 years. After that, if it isn't done, nothing matters much. :-({|=

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:40 am 
New User
New User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:02 pm 

So you are saying that 90% of all species dying to extinction is not as important as the suffering of present animal, not human, life, including insects?
Do you have a functioning logical section of your brain? Did you fail math?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:10 am 

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:04 am 
New User
New User

A topic that I personally have never seen in the media is: How are animals, how do they feel after (natural) catastrophes? Are they helped, does someone care about them after Fukushima for example?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm