[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Free Tilikum - The Killer Whale

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:54 am 
New User
New User

I have recently watched a documentary titled Blackfish which details how killer whales were first captured and ended up in visitor attractions such as Seaworld, and how their confinement has led to a number of incidents where trainers have been injured or killed.

If you haven't seen the documentary, I would recommend watching it, its a very powerful story and shows how Seaworld have protected the whales when incidents occur in order to keep the shows running and retain the whales in captivity for the sole purposes of breeding more captive whales and making money from selling tickets to the shows.

I only watched the documentary a couple of days ago, but haven't been able to get it off my mind. There is a campaign running at the moment to free one of the Whales in captivity at Seaworld called Tilikum. He has been in captivity since he was 2, and I personally feel that he deserves to live out his days in peace.

If you agree, there is an online petition at:

and more information can be found at:

Please help free Tilly!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:12 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

:evil: BigFrigginDeal!!!! :problem: :crazy: Try to understand something that will kill off most life--------------
http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/11/world-he ... bon-crash/

Lower emissions 90% ASAP or in 9 years, lower population by half or less ASAP.
Is it that ARs stick their heads in the sand about humans causing an 85%+ Extinction Level Event from our emissions and gross overpopulation? :razz:
From the article;
"Emissions need to peak and decline by 2020 to have a chance at keeping global temperature rise to less than 2.0 degrees C, according to the Emissions Gap Report 2013, involving 44 scientific groups in 17 countries and coordinated by the U.N. Environment Programme "
It is too bad that 2*C is well past the Arctic Tundra methane self release (positive feedback loop) tipping point......... :cry: [-o< :-({|=

Last edited by Johhny Electriglide on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:18 am 

Last edited by animal-friendly on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 am 

They are wild animals. When you deal directly with wild animals in captivity, bad sh!+ happens eventually, and these aren't vipers that will simply nip your hand.

If a couple of whales in captivity tugs at your heartstrings, you should learn what real habitat destruction will do. Putting them back where you think they belong won't make a hill of beans difference and could, in all likelihood, be dangerous for the whales themselves. No need to be stupid about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:26 am 

After a rather lengthy FB commentary with a friend, he suggested that I watch Blackfish and get back with him. I've never been one to go out of my way to "get back" with someone when they can't make a rational argument. I made that abundantly clear, which only seemed to tick them off more. Oh well.

Fast forward to last night. I'm perusing Netflix and lo and behold, Blackfish is avaialble. I couldn't find anything else I liked at the time. The show starts off arguing how morally indefensible it is how we wrangle wild orcas in an effort to get them into water parks. Species A exploits species B for the benefit of A. Okay. That is obviously wrong as we never, ever, witness this happening anywhere else in nature [/sarcasm]. Anyway, this part of the film was relatively short and it jumped on the aquarium bandwagon. There were little bits and pieces of how allegedly inhumane captivity is, but the overarching theme was trainer safety. Several former trainers were presented that acted as if they did not realize (at the time they were trainers) just how dangerous diving into a pool with a wild orca can be. Really? I've been to SeaWorld a couple of times now. The first time I went, I was 5 and I remember thinking the same thing I do when I go to a circus--these folks are brave no matter how conditioned the animals may be. It is a risk I would never personally take nor would I encourage it of others. I was struck at the naivety of those presented in the show. One is led the whole while to think there is some sort of SeaWorld conspiracy. I wasn't impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:40 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

The other side of the coin is the use of the profits from these places to rescue and rehabilitate injured species. Seaworld San Diego, for example, has such a rehabilitation facility.

http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-sa ... al-rescue/

The San Diego Zoo also does something similar but different.

http://www.sandiegozooglobal.org/ICR/purpose

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:51 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:28 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:26 pm 

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:23 am 

[quote="Fosgate"]They are wild animals.

We know and that is why folks are decrying the prison of these animals. Bath tubs instead of an ocean? Wild is wild. Captured is captured, no matter how 'educational' the reasons are.

[b] When you deal directly with wild animals in captivity, bad sh!+ happens eventually, and these aren't vipers that will simply nip your hand.
[/b]
You assume that so you would like us all to assume that .... as fact? Wild animals in captivity may be dangerous. Might I suggest not holding wild or exotic animals?

"If a couple of whales in captivity tugs at your heartstrings, you should learn what real habitat destruction will do. Putting them back where you think they belong won't make a hill of beans difference and could, in all likelihood, be dangerous for the whales themselves. No need to be stupid about it.

I love your first sentence. You are asking if the natural habitat of the ocean is the same as whales in captivity. But of course you can answer this question. I would much prefer being in my own habitat than being captured for entertainment. Wouldn't you? Would you not prefer a lager space over a smaller one?

It's called empathy. Do you know it? Don't worry if you don't .... it will come.
With it comes the answers to all that other stuff that you probably feel is unrelated.
It's not this or that, .... its ALL of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 am