EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:13 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21214
Location: Southeastern US
animal-friendly wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:
The Canadian laws allow pigs to be transported to up to 36 hours without food or water. In this regard, Canada is lagging. Can you imagine, in 80 degree temperatures, or 0 degree temperatures? Of course 80 degrees is a heat wave when you are travelling such long distances/hours without food or water. No wonder those animals were in need of water. So basic.


"Well, when you can say that 80 degrees F is a heat wave, you have gone off into the ether and left reality behind."

Except the temperature was only part of the picture.

How would we like to be in transport for 36 hours without food or water in whatever temperature?

Gonna compare this treatment to other countries?


So you are now saying the hogs in the video had been or were transported for 36 hours? Odd that was not mention in the video or before.

If you have now returned to generalizations, the warmer the temperature the less the hogs want to eat. I believe that information was posted some time back.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:55 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1473
Wayne Stollings wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:
The Canadian laws allow pigs to be transported to up to 36 hours without food or water. In this regard, Canada is lagging. Can you imagine, in 80 degree temperatures, or 0 degree temperatures? Of course 80 degrees is a heat wave when you are travelling such long distances/hours without food or water. No wonder those animals were in need of water. So basic.


"Well, when you can say that 80 degrees F is a heat wave, you have gone off into the ether and left reality behind."

Except the temperature was only part of the picture.

How would we like to be in transport for 36 hours without food or water in whatever temperature?

Gonna compare this treatment to other countries?


Quote:
Quote:
So you are now saying the hogs in the video had been or were transported for 36 hours? Odd that was not mention in the video or before.


No. i did not say that. I said that it is allowable, under Canadian transport rules, for pigs to be transported for up to 36 hours. We do not know how long these particular pigs had been transported for. I am speaking both generally and specifically.

Quote:
If you have now returned to generalizations, the warmer the temperature the less the hogs want to eat. I believe that information was posted some time back.


The warmer the temperature, the less we want to eat too. (no matter where it was posted) But temperature is funny like that; it diminishes appetite while increasing thirst.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:37 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21214
Location: Southeastern US
animal-friendly wrote:

No. i did not say that. I said that it is allowable, under Canadian transport rules, for pigs to be transported for up to 36 hours. We do not know how long these particular pigs had been transported for. I am speaking both generally and specifically.


Which is not clearly differentiated so the generalizations can become specific and the specifics can become generalizations making neither very accurate for any discussion.


Just say you do not like it and leave it at that. It is a more honest approach to the subject than the video propaganda attempt.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1473
Wayne Stollings wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:

No. i did not say that. I said that it is allowable, under Canadian transport rules, for pigs to be transported for up to 36 hours. We do not know how long these particular pigs had been transported for. I am speaking both generally and specifically.


"Which is not clearly differentiated so the generalizations can become specific and the specifics can become generalizations making neither very accurate for any discussion."j

Oh dear. We ARE talking about genuine beings, mammals, what some consider "food". Could be dogs, cats, or us. Apparently. we taste like pork. Could be us as we taste good.

Just say you do not like it and leave it at that.

But I DO like it.
It is a more honest approach to the subject than the video propaganda attempt.


I know


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:10 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21214
Location: Southeastern US
Wayne Stollings wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:

No. i did not say that. I said that it is allowable, under Canadian transport rules, for pigs to be transported for up to 36 hours. We do not know how long these particular pigs had been transported for. I am speaking both generally and specifically.


"Which is not clearly differentiated so the generalizations can become specific and the specifics can become generalizations making neither very accurate for any discussion."


animal-friendly wrote:
Oh dear. We ARE talking about genuine beings, mammals, what some consider "food".


Ok, if generalizations and specifics are to be intermingled. There is a history of videos being staged by activists so why should be consider any such video as being correct? They are just wanting to control others based on their skewed beliefs.

Quote:
Could be dogs,


Yes, but they taste more like rabbit.

Quote:
cats,


Yes, Chinese food is good.

Quote:
or us.


Long pork.

Quote:
Apparently. we taste like pork. Could be us as we taste good.


Women would be better in that case. Use them for both dairy and meat production.... generally.

Quote:
Quote:
Just say you do not like it and leave it at that.


But I DO like it.


Everyone likes bacon ....

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:53 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1473
Wayne Stollings wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:

No. i did not say that. I said that it is allowable, under Canadian transport rules, for pigs to be transported for up to 36 hours. We do not know how long these particular pigs had been transported for. I am speaking both generally and specifically.


"Which is not clearly differentiated so the generalizations can become specific and the specifics can become generalizations making neither very accurate for any discussion."


You want accuracy? I give you accuracy. 36 hours.

36 hours on an airline flight. Your a mammal. Figure it out.

Flight attendant comes by and offers you coffee, tea, juice, soda, water. You have a seat that reclines at least a little. You have 'blankie', perhaps something like a movie to distract you from the tedium and discomfort and sardine-like experience that you have opted for and paid for. You may even get a meal which you may have to pay more for (these days), but you have the cash, so you go for it ..... even if you're not hungry, it is in itself a bit of a distraction. Or maybe you've opted to save a few bucks and so made yourself a sandwich for the 36 hours. 36 hours.

36 hours.

OR. maybe your flight is only half of that. ONLY 18 hours. Lucky you.

No hardship at all. Flight attendant still comes by with coffee, tea, soda, water .... maybe a gin and tonic. Your seat still reclines if only a little. Still plenty of time to watch a movie, have a nap .... perhaps a meal. You can even get up and take a stroll to the bathroom and check out the passengers and the crying babies. S-t-r-e-t-c-h your limbs a little.

What if it was 80 degrees on that 36 or 18 or 9 hour flight? That's not hot. Technically not a heat wave. And since 80 degrees with no water is not a hardship for your mammalian self, it should not be a hardship for any other mammal, especially if that species is considered food, en masse, for this species.

Quote:
Ok, if generalizations and specifics are to be intermingled. There is a history of videos being staged by activists so why should be consider any such video as being correct? They are just wanting to control others based on their skewed beliefs.


They ARE to be intermingled because there is no way of knowing how long that transport truck had been in operation and how long those pigs had been transported. Could have been two hours or could have been 36 hours, but EVEN after two hours, those animals would presumably be thirsty! What if it was 4 hours or six or eight or 36? ...... 36?

If we knew for absolute sure that it WAS 36, you would rationalize that kind of treatment wouldn't you?

How would you rationalize it?
I'm curious.
You've got a damn good brain, so I'm sure you would think of something!

Now, the history of 'staged' videos by activists is skeletal compared to the history of ACTUAL videos which reveal the experience of these animals on a day to day basis. Real videos compared to "staged'? There are so many actual situations ..... activists don't need to fictionalize the situation, although some have been for sure. Mostly, ..... not. No need, when the situation is quite real.

And for the rest of this conversation .... as follows .... all I can say is that you are really cute Wayne. I would eat you any day!

Quote:
Could be dogs,


Yes, but they taste more like rabbit.

Quote:
cats,


Yes, Chinese food is good.

Quote:
or us.


Long pork.

Quote:
Apparently. we taste like pork. Could be us as we taste good.


Women would be better in that case. Use them for both dairy and meat production.... generally.

Quote:
Quote:
Just say you do not like it and leave it at that.


But I DO like it.


Everyone likes bacon ....[/quote]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:04 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21214
Location: Southeastern US
Wayne Stollings wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:

No. i did not say that. I said that it is allowable, under Canadian transport rules, for pigs to be transported for up to 36 hours. We do not know how long these particular pigs had been transported for. I am speaking both generally and specifically.


"Which is not clearly differentiated so the generalizations can become specific and the specifics can become generalizations making neither very accurate for any discussion."


animal-friendly wrote:
You want accuracy? I give you accuracy. 36 hours.

36 hours on an airline flight. Your a mammal. Figure it out.

Flight attendant comes by and offers you coffee, tea, juice, soda, water. You have a seat that reclines at least a little. You have 'blankie', perhaps something like a movie to distract you from the tedium and discomfort and sardine-like experience that you have opted for and paid for. You may even get a meal which you may have to pay more for (these days), but you have the cash, so you go for it ..... even if you're not hungry, it is in itself a bit of a distraction. Or maybe you've opted to save a few bucks and so made yourself a sandwich for the 36 hours. 36 hours.

36 hours.

OR. maybe your flight is only half of that. ONLY 18 hours. Lucky you.

No hardship at all. Flight attendant still comes by with coffee, tea, soda, water .... maybe a gin and tonic. Your seat still reclines if only a little. Still plenty of time to watch a movie, have a nap .... perhaps a meal. You can even get up and take a stroll to the bathroom and check out the passengers and the crying babies. S-t-r-e-t-c-h your limbs a little.

What if it was 80 degrees on that 36 or 18 or 9 hour flight? That's not hot. Technically not a heat wave. And since 80 degrees with no water is not a hardship for your mammalian self, it should not be a hardship for any other mammal, especially if that species is considered food, en masse, for this species.


If you believe all mammals are equal in intelligence and therefore feeling you have a problem. Why then would you not be comfortable living the natural life of a wild hog? Whale? Big horn sheep? You assume based on anthropomorphizing the animals. They are not human nor is there any rational way to make any valid comparison between the "feeling" of very different species.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, if generalizations and specifics are to be intermingled. There is a history of videos being staged by activists so why should be consider any such video as being correct? They are just wanting to control others based on their skewed beliefs.


They ARE to be intermingled because there is no way of knowing how long that transport truck had been in operation and how long those pigs had been transported. Could have been two hours or could have been 36 hours, but EVEN after two hours, those animals would presumably be thirsty! What if it was 4 hours or six or eight or 36? ...... 36?


Then if someone chooses to assume the truck has just been loaded as a generalization that counters your assumption of any other time period. Your point becomes an unsupported opinion countered by another unsupported opinion until some facts are made available.

Quote:
If we knew for absolute sure that it WAS 36, you would rationalize that kind of treatment wouldn't you?


If we knew that it had been only an hour, you would rationalize that kind of treatment was wrong wouldn't you? You have already introduced the generalized comparisons when the specifics do not look as bad as you wished.

Quote:
How would you rationalize it?
I'm curious.
You've got a damn good brain, so I'm sure you would think of something!


I could say they were near their destination or any other of a number of assumptions which would have to be made. The point is that would be illegal if the hogs were in that location 36 hours after they were loaded. Perhaps you should try 35 hours?

Quote:
Now, the history of 'staged' videos by activists is skeletal compared to the history of ACTUAL videos which reveal the experience of these animals on a day to day basis.


No, there is a significant body of evidence to show the major situations were not as they were portrayed. IF you mean videos like this one where the video does not show what is claimed, then staging is not the appropriate term, but misrepresentation of the situation would be the more accurate. The overall concept of false video is still there.

Quote:
Real videos compared to "staged'? There are so many actual situations ..... activists don't need to fictionalize the situation, although some have been for sure. Mostly, ..... not. No need, when the situation is quite real.


Staged or described as depicting what is not there the generalization is the same.

Quote:
And for the rest of this conversation .... as follows .... all I can say is that you are really cute Wayne. I would eat you any day!


More likely that I would be the one eating you since I am the more heartless one and thus would have the advantage in deciding who would consume whom.


Quote:

Everyone likes bacon ....


and smoked ham ...... and glazed ham .....

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21214
Location: Southeastern US
If you want to try to change the transport law, this video does not really help your case except for those who already want to change things. You need evidence to support change. The basis for the European laws perhaps, but also considering the distances in Europe are much less and transport from one end of a country to the other can be accomplished in a relatively short time.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:09 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1473
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:

No. i did not say that. I said that it is allowable, under Canadian transport rules, for pigs to be transported for up to 36 hours. We do not know how long these particular pigs had been transported for. I am speaking both generally and specifically.


"Which is not clearly differentiated so the generalizations can become specific and the specifics can become generalizations making neither very accurate for any discussion."


animal-friendly wrote:
You want accuracy? I give you accuracy. 36 hours.

36 hours on an airline flight. Your a mammal. Figure it out.

Flight attendant comes by and offers you coffee, tea, juice, soda, water. You have a seat that reclines at least a little. You have 'blankie', perhaps something like a movie to distract you from the tedium and discomfort and sardine-like experience that you have opted for and paid for. You may even get a meal which you may have to pay more for (these days), but you have the cash, so you go for it ..... even if you're not hungry, it is in itself a bit of a distraction. Or maybe you've opted to save a few bucks and so made yourself a sandwich for the 36 hours. 36 hours.

36 hours.

OR. maybe your flight is only half of that. ONLY 18 hours. Lucky you.

No hardship at all. Flight attendant still comes by with coffee, tea, soda, water .... maybe a gin and tonic. Your seat still reclines if only a little. Still plenty of time to watch a movie, have a nap .... perhaps a meal. You can even get up and take a stroll to the bathroom and check out the passengers and the crying babies. S-t-r-e-t-c-h your limbs a little.

What if it was 80 degrees on that 36 or 18 or 9 hour flight? That's not hot. Technically not a heat wave. And since 80 degrees with no water is not a hardship for your mammalian self, it should not be a hardship for any other mammal, especially if that species is considered food, en masse, for this species.


Quote:
If you believe all mammals are equal in intelligence and therefore feeling you have a problem.

I actually don't have a problem but I am wondering why you think I have one .... I never said it was an intelligence test.

Quote:
Biologically, it is a test of capability.


Ohhh ... I thought you said it was an 'INTELLIGENCE' test, now you say it's a 'CAPAILITY test'. Interesting how you change the parameters. Wayne, you are fun!

Code:
If you were considered food, we wouldn't be looking at your intelligence.


Or my capability? Because you DID change the criteria there.
Neither cows nor pigs have opposable thumbs.
So they can't code? Many of us cannot. Ouch.
Neither can the Amazon rain forest.
Apparently, forests are neither intelligent nor are they capable of doing what they do.
May as well kill 'em

Most life that supports you is not designed to be capable. It is just life, as you are. You're as tasty as the next life form. Humans have been quite yummy in some cultures. I have heard that men's balls have been quite a delicacy.

Quote:
Why then would you not be comfortable living the natural life of a wild hog? Whale? Big horn sheep?


Wild horn sheep and whales are not used to being confined and neither are you!. I am happy living the life as a human - omnivore. Pretty sure I would enjoy my life as a big horn sheep, whale or wild hog too. As long as humans did not factory farm me in the capitalist belief I must serve as food as a commodity and thus become part of the GNP or GDP. If it doesn't serve the economy, no use for it.

Why not include snakes, cats & dogs, elephants, and rhinos? In fact, where is the market for chimp stake and gorilla hump? And if we're going for it, why not zebra flank? Why no ant-eater stump? I would go for it .... If i was hungry enough. One needs to live/survive. Obviously. No issue with that.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, if generalizations and specifics are to be intermingled. There is a history of videos being staged by activists so why should be consider any such video as being correct? They are just wanting to control others based on their skewed beliefs.


They ARE to be intermingled because there is no way of knowing how long that transport truck had been in operation and how long those pigs had been transported. Could have been two hours or could have been 36 hours, but EVEN after two hours, those animals would presumably be thirsty! What if it was 4 hours or six or eight or 36? ...... 36?


Quote:
Then if someone chooses to assume the truck has just been loaded as a generalization that counters your assumption of any other time period. Your point becomes an unsupported opinion countered by another unsupported opinion until some facts are made available.

Yup. That's about it. No way of knowing. Could be 36, could be 2. Canadian law allows for 36. You okay with that? I know your answer is food and the survival of the human species and all that. If we didn't subject animals to this treatment we would obviously die and stuff .... Food. Bacon for breakfast, Ham for lunch. Food. Otherwise, we die.
We know we won't, but folks need jobs for chrisake!
You tell it like it is Wayne. The propaganda isn't mine.

Quote:
If we knew for absolute sure that it WAS 36, you would rationalize that kind of treatment wouldn't you?


Quote:
If we knew that it had been only an hour, you would rationalize that kind of treatment was wrong wouldn't you?


Maybe and maybe not. But I'm pretty sure you would rationalize 36 hours. The Canadian government has already done so. You will easily go along with that, cuz it's "legal", right? If you have already rationalized "shipping out human beings', it's not much of a stretch. Fodder for food or fodder for war. Not much difference. Whatever suits and is convenient. But you have been conditioned that way, Have you noticed your/our conditioning? Are we there yet?

Quote:
You have already introduced the generalized comparisons when the specifics do not look as bad as you wished.


The specifics are much worse than I ever imagined. And the specifics are the general, unfortunately.

Quote:
How would you rationalize it?
I'm curious.
You've got a damn good brain, so I'm sure you would think of something!


Quote:
I could say they were near their destination or any other of a number of assumptions which would have to be made. The point is that would be illegal if the hogs were in that location 36 hours after they were loaded. Perhaps you should try 35 hours?


That's not much of a point. As you know.

Quote:
Now, the history of 'staged' videos by activists is skeletal compared to the history of ACTUAL videos which reveal the experience of these animals on a day to day basis.


Quote:
No, there is a significant body of evidence to show the major situations were not as they were portrayed.


They were simply portrayed as they were. As they are. This is the situation. there is a significant body of evidence to show
36 hours. No reclining seats, even slightly. 18 hours .... no drinks. 9 hours .... no air conditioning or ability to stretch.

Quote:
IF you mean videos like this one where the video does not show what is claimed, then staging is not the appropriate term, but misrepresentation of the situation would be the more accurate. The overall concept of false video is still there.


No. I don't think so. Pigs in 80 degree temps and thirsty. Me too. Water? Yes please. Video does not show what is claimed?
Right, they were simply curious about "food" is all. Anyone who likes ham sandwiches will agree with you.

Quote:
Real videos compared to "staged'? There are so many actual situations ..... activists don't need to fictionalize the situation, although some have been for sure. Mostly, ..... not. No need, when the situation is quite real.


Quote:
Staged or described as depicting what is not there the generalization is the same.


Thirst was there. Canadian laws allowed for it.
Pigs are allowed to be transported for 36 hours without water even in "hot" temperatures. Would you like it? Want to trade places with them? No? Why not?
Quote:

More likely that I would be the one eating you ...


Ridiculous thing to say, but not surprising. On 36 hour flight, with no water? Probably be eating each other.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:15 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1473
Wayne Stollings wrote:
If you want to try to change the transport law, this video does not really help your case except for those who already want to change things. You need evidence to support change. The basis for the European laws perhaps, but also considering the distances in Europe are much less and transport from one end of a country to the other can be accomplished in a relatively short time.


Consumerism drives the transport law. That's about it.
Animals are seen as product and part of the economy.
Paradigm shift.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:34 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21214
Location: Southeastern US
animal-friendly wrote:

Quote:
If you believe all mammals are equal in intelligence and therefore feeling you have a problem.

I actually don't have a problem but I am wondering why you think I have one .... I never said it was an intelligence test.


You are using the "how would you feel" approach, which does bring intelligence into play because humans can extrapolate future possibilities.

Quote:
Quote:
Biologically, it is a test of capability.


Ohhh ... I thought you said it was an 'INTELLIGENCE' test, now you say it's a 'CAPAILITY test'. Interesting how you change the parameters. Wayne, you are fun!



If you will look at what I actually posted, you will see I did not make that statement. I do not know where you got it, but it was not I who brought it into the discussion.

Quote:
If you were considered food, we wouldn't be looking at your intelligence.


The level of intelligence does play a part. We do not raise great apes as food sources for several reasons. One being the ability to control them.

Quote:
Or my capability? Because you DID change the criteria there.
Neither cows nor pigs have opposable thumbs.
So they can't code? Many of us cannot. Ouch.
Neither can the Amazon rain forest.
Apparently, forests are neither intelligent nor are they capable of doing what they do.
May as well kill 'em

Most life that supports you is not designed to be capable. It is just life, as you are. You're as tasty as the next life form. Humans have been quite yummy in some cultures. I have heard that men's balls have been quite a delicacy.


You have lead yourself into a discussion of your own making.

Quote:
Quote:
Why then would you not be comfortable living the natural life of a wild hog? Whale? Big horn sheep?


Wild horn sheep and whales are not used to being confined and neither are you!. I am happy living the life as a human - omnivore. Pretty sure I would enjoy my life as a big horn sheep, whale or wild hog too. As long as humans did not factory farm me in the capitalist belief I must serve as food as a commodity and thus become part of the GNP or GDP. If it doesn't serve the economy, no use for it.


You would enjoy living at higher elevations with minimal food sources and no shelter? I am sure that you would not enjoy the life of a whale since you would probably drown before you died of thirst.

Quote:
Why not include snakes,


Yuo specified mammals.

Quote:
cats & dogs,


Wild or domestic? If domestic, pets, working, or food?

Quote:
elephants, and rhinos?


You can add them if you wish, but more predators that would consider you as food.

Quote:
In fact, where is the market for chimp stake and gorilla hump?


It is called bush meat and it is there.

Quote:
And if we're going for it, why not zebra flank?


It is there, but horse is more common.

Quote:
Why no ant-eater stump?


I am not sure on that, but probably a market as a bush meat variant.

Quote:
I would go for it .... If i was hungry enough. One needs to live/survive. Obviously. No issue with that.


Food is food.


Quote:
Quote:
Ok, if generalizations and specifics are to be intermingled. There is a history of videos being staged by activists so why should be consider any such video as being correct? They are just wanting to control others based on their skewed beliefs.


They ARE to be intermingled because there is no way of knowing how long that transport truck had been in operation and how long those pigs had been transported. Could have been two hours or could have been 36 hours, but EVEN after two hours, those animals would presumably be thirsty! What if it was 4 hours or six or eight or 36? ...... 36?


IF it had been 2 hours, but you have nothing in the way of evidence to support it. One can assume they were fine and your whole set of assumptions is countered. That is why facts and evidence are important. When you assume you cannot maintain credibility without something upon which to support the basis.

Quote:
Quote:
Then if someone chooses to assume the truck has just been loaded as a generalization that counters your assumption of any other time period. Your point becomes an unsupported opinion countered by another unsupported opinion until some facts are made available.

Yup. That's about it. No way of knowing. Could be 36, could be 2. Canadian law allows for 36. You okay with that? I know your answer is food and the survival of the human species and all that. If we didn't subject animals to this treatment we would obviously die and stuff .... Food. Bacon for breakfast, Ham for lunch. Food. Otherwise, we die.
We know we won't, but folks need jobs for chrisake!
You tell it like it is Wayne. The propaganda isn't mine.


There is your problem. Without something concrete it is very easy to assume you are wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
If we knew for absolute sure that it WAS 36, you would rationalize that kind of treatment wouldn't you?


Quote:
If we knew that it had been only an hour, you would rationalize that kind of treatment was wrong wouldn't you?


Maybe and maybe not. But I'm pretty sure you would rationalize 36 hours. The Canadian government has already done so. You will easily go along with that, cuz it's "legal", right? If you have already rationalized "shipping out human beings', it's not much of a stretch. Fodder for food or fodder for war. Not much difference. Whatever suits and is convenient. But you have been conditioned that way, Have you noticed your/our conditioning? Are we there yet?


You mean where your argument has collapsed under the weight of assumptions? we are past that it seems. You now can read my mind .... or so you seem to believe.

Quote:
Quote:
You have already introduced the generalized comparisons when the specifics do not look as bad as you wished.


The specifics are much worse than I ever imagined. And the specifics are the general, unfortunately.


Really? What are the specifics of this shipment which are worse? You have very few such specifics on it I am wondering if it is not more "mind reading"?


Quote:
Quote:
I could say they were near their destination or any other of a number of assumptions which would have to be made. The point is that would be illegal if the hogs were in that location 36 hours after they were loaded. Perhaps you should try 35 hours?


That's not much of a point. As you know.


Yes, I know you did not have much of a point.

Quote:
Quote:
Now, the history of 'staged' videos by activists is skeletal compared to the history of ACTUAL videos which reveal the experience of these animals on a day to day basis.


Quote:
No, there is a significant body of evidence to show the major situations were not as they were portrayed.


They were simply portrayed as they were. As they are. This is the situation. there is a significant body of evidence to show
36 hours.


Really? Those hogs were transported 36 hours based on what? If that were the case you will have trouble showing the issues with such transport.

Quote:
No reclining seats, even slightly.


Of course not, they never use them in any form.

Quote:
18 hours .... no drinks. 9 hours .... no air conditioning or ability to stretch.


Actually your video showed they had the ability to stretch and move around. It also showed the same ventilation used prior to the invention of air conditioning.

Quote:
Quote:
IF you mean videos like this one where the video does not show what is claimed, then staging is not the appropriate term, but misrepresentation of the situation would be the more accurate. The overall concept of false video is still there.


No. I don't think so. Pigs in 80 degree temps and thirsty.


Except several of the pigs were not showing thirst because they were ignoring the water.

Quote:
Me too. Water? Yes please. Video does not show what is claimed?


Correct.

Quote:
Right, they were simply curious about "food" is all.


Not necessarily food but many animals "taste" as part of their investigation of new items.


Quote:
Thirst was there.


Only if you want to believe it was.

Quote:
Canadian laws allowed for it.


That is unknown since there is no information specific to that shipment provided. The probability is that is was a legal shipment.

Quote:
Pigs are allowed to be transported for 36 hours without water even in "hot" temperatures. Would you like it? Want to trade places with them? No? Why not?


For the same reason I would not want to trade places with a wild hog, elephant, rhino, bighorn sheep, etc.,


Quote:
Quote:
More likely that I would be the one eating you ...


Ridiculous thing to say, but not surprising. On 36 hour flight, with no water? Probably be eating each other.


No, I suspect I would have less trouble killing you for survival than you would have killing me. I would also probably reach the decision point first giving me that bit of advantage. So, yes, I would probably be the one eating you in such a situation .... after drinking your blood so not to waste it.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:19 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1473
Wayne Stollings wrote:
If you want to try to change the transport law, this video does not really help your case except for those who already want to change things. You need evidence to support change. The basis for the European laws perhaps, but also considering the distances in Europe are much less and transport from one end of a country to the other can be accomplished in a relatively short time.


Same animal;different country/border/line drawn in sand.

Canada: 36 hours.

36 hours.

Need evidence: 36 hours.

'Except for those who already want to change things' ..... he said.

36 hours for those who want to change things.
and 36 hours for those who don't, because bacon ....

36 hours.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:51 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21214
Location: Southeastern US
:-s

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:49 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1473
Wayne Stollings wrote:
:-s


Grace, insight. Understanding
Comes readily in the morning, when the mind has been silent
for some time.

J. Krishnamuti calls it "insight'.
Not of the intellect. Not intellectual.

Logic is fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:00 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21214
Location: Southeastern US
You cannot legislate via pure emotions, which means you will not make much in the way of what you might consider progress.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group