EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:58 am 
New User
New User

Found this site while searching for Earth Day events 2010...not much in my area (metro Denver Colorado) posted yet...
Enjoy being outdoors, used to be an avid touring cyclist before osteoarthritis did a number on my knees. Am a soft water angler who talks to the friendly mallards and watches the clouds
roll by.
Am very concerned about the mistreatment of factory farm animals. Saw a segment on national TV news showing the cutting of a dairy cow's tail w/o anesthetic, her head was
tied to a fence...the recalled image brings tears to my eyes again! The Farm manager said
it didn't hurt (BS)!
Fishing is spirit time for me, I do eat what I catch-have eliminated mammals from my diet.
A prayer is said thanking the Earth mother for sustenance.
The American West is experiencing a bison revival "pioneered" by Native Americans.
Lynx have been reintroduced to Colorado, unfortunately a mature female was poached recently
for her pelt.
Wolves have wandered down from Yellowstone.
The brown bear comes down from the high country seeking food since development has encroached their territory.
As a transplanted New Yorker (almost 30 yrs here) I feel blessed to live in Colorado tho there
is definitely room for improvement!
Keep it Wild!!

Post subject: Re: Greetings!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:16 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Howdy-do!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:37 pm 

Welcome! I'm in the mountains at 8880' and dirty Denver is a 2 hour drive!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:03 am 

"Found this site while searching for Earth Day events 2010...not much in my area (metro Denver Colorado) posted yet...
Enjoy being outdoors, used to be an avid touring cyclist before osteoarthritis did a number on my knees. Am a soft water angler who talks to the friendly mallards and watches the clouds roll by."

Yeah, me too. Gotta love them clouds! (and the mallards)

"Am very concerned about the mistreatment of factory farm animals. Saw a segment on national TV news showing the cutting of a dairy cow's tail w/o anesthetic, her head was tied to a fence...the recalled image brings tears to my eyes again! The Farm manager said it didn't hurt (BS)!"

Yeah, me too ..... again. I think I may have seen the same recent segment you are speaking of. The cow was tied (of course) and she vomitted due to the pain she was experiencing. A brutal process - and also legally accepted and also an 'industry standard" and also convenient and cheap for the dairy/meat producers, and also cheaper for the consumer ..... and also a cruel practice ..... and also, unfortunately, only one cruel practice among many.

Please speak.

"Fishing is spirit time for me, I do eat what I catch ... "

You mean you don't just do it for fun? To support the many businesses that exist which survive and sometimes thrive on the equipment and licenses they sell?

"-have eliminated mammals from my diet."

Yeah, me too. How are you feeling? Wasting away? Not much muscle? Can't climb the stairs? Gonna die soon? Lacking iron and protein?

"A prayer is said thanking the Earth mother for sustenance."

I think we need much more than prayers although prayers are needed simply for the intention behind them.

"The American West is experiencing a bison revival "pioneered" by Native Americans."

Amazing in light of the massacre set upon them when the Europeans landed. Some bison hunters were shooting them as if playing an early form of video game and boasting about the number of kills left to rot in the fields while the indigenous people of North America stood by, helplessly while also sheding some tears.

"As a transplanted New Yorker (almost 30 yrs here) I feel blessed to live in Colorado tho there is definitely room for improvement! Keep it Wild!!"

Sure, but how? With the onslaught of both encroaching human populations and capitalism? That GDP has just got to keep growing, ya know, and for that to happen, we need an increased economic activity which needs more population. We are operating under a very misguided and destructive paradigm .... which also sees us mistreating animals in a horriffic way .... as commodity.

Welcome to the conversation Bluesky!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:34 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Hey there. I'm in the Evergreen/Bergan Park area. Avid fly fisherman and elk hunter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:14 am 

Nice to meet you. A very warm welcome to the forum.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com