EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:58 pm 
New User
New User

Hello everyone,

My name is Ed. I am one of many people fighting a battle in a river bed proposal by Waste Management. They proposed money to our county council to allow them to build a dump in a flood area yards from the Enoree River in Enoree, S.C. Our council who was opposed has now got a defector who tipped the scale to begin negotiations.

I have decieded not to give in and not to stop fighting. I have a website that is donating 30% of all revenue to the RESCUE Enoree non-profit established to defend the town. Any items bought for xmas etc....by clicking on the object on my site will benefit the cause if you are going to internet shop. The site will expand more over time.

Anyone is welcomed to visit the site:

http://www.lifelineearth.com

our blog is http://www.lifelineearth.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:29 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Thats a bit loco, build a dump in a flood area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:06 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Deerhunter wrote:
Thats a bit loco, build a dump in a flood area?

Not if it was a Construction and Demolition (C & D) site where construction debris is the primary material. I tried to find out more from the site but there is not much there on the issue. The Corps of Engineers would have a significant say if there is an overlap in the site location.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 pm 

True, wood, concrete, and metal really wouldn't be much of an enviro hazard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:23 am 
New User
New User

I wish it was just a C&D. It's going to be a full service landfill.

The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) has a statute on the books saying landfills must be 70 miles apart. Waste Management (WMX) had no luck with the County Council 2 years ago when it was 4-3 opposed. Several months ago WMX went to DHEC and said they would just apply for the permit themselves, and DHEC instead of saying they could not build there at all, said "we will not deal with you so go back to the Spartanburg County Council." Waste Management offered $59 million dollars to the county council to allow this landfill. The council who we thought would be opposed, had one member named David Britt who all of a sudden changed his vote because money was offered. I personally pulled his campaign finance reports and could not find anything on there from WMX. Doesn't mean it won't be there in the future.

Waste Management is in a crunch because the Palmetto Landfill they built in the county 25 years ago is getting to the end of it's Life Span. As if it can't get worse, I thought it was morally wrong to desecrate a river bed so I built the site and felt it was a strong arguement about the river issue.

Not so, as I have found out the "Enoree Landfill" in Greenville County was named that because it too sits off the banks of the Enoree River, and Republic just built it's full service landfill off the banks of the Enoree with a full service landfill in a flood plain in Union County. They just backfilled to raise the elevation and it was allowed. You can see them on Virtual Earth. This is an new landfill. The one Waste Management wants to build will be within 3-5 miles of this Republic landfill.

The address for this:
Union County Regional
MSW Landfill - LF
868 Wildcat Road
Enoree, SC 29335
Tel (864) 969-4460

Here is an article from the news media:

http://www.hometown-news.com/addedValue ... Reader$195