EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:50 pm 
New User
New User

Hello, all. I'm a 21 year old guy who hates industrial civilization and loves nature.

I've been working in some pretty terrible factories for a few years now. Some people just accuse me of lying when I describe the conditions and hours, or assume I live in Syria or something, which leaves me speechless, because I just live in an economically dead town in the United States. I think there's a hell of a lot of naivety about the way our modern world works, and a lot of denial about how exploitative and greedy businesses are. I don't think people know common it is for them to cut corners, defy safety regulations, and dare their workers to tattle on them, fully knowing nobody can risk losing their job in regions like this.

I've loved nature since birth, pretty much. I was raised not to be wasteful and to appreciate the natural world in a practical and interactive way. One of the perks of being born in a small town in Wisconsin with no economy. I consider myself a primitivist, and I'm building up slowly with longer and longer trips into nature. It's been a pipe dream to live primitively in balance with nature for most of my life, and a real goal for the last two years.

And that's why I'm here, because I'm getting pretty lonely. I'm usually the most extreme guy in the room, and people keep saying I have an unhealthy obsession with nature. I don't figure it's possible to have an unhealthy obsession with nature, because for most of human prehistory, nature was everyone's entire life. I think the only unhealthy thing is the way modern people now act like nature is just a hobby, instead of the primary focus of life. It gets tiring, not knowing anyone who agrees with me about this. I might have better luck here, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:22 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

welcome!!

From the coal mines of the Appalachains to the steel mills of Wisconsin this swath containes many areas which have been left behind in the economic recovery because thye are limited to one industry if they even have one "good" industry.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:18 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

A very warm welcome to the forum, dear soul

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com