EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:19 pm 
New User
New User

I just had to make the time to enter this wonderful site. We are very busy now with winter coming on and getting the horses and everything ready for it.
We are non-profit horse rescue out of Minden, Ne. We take all breeds, colors, sizes ages. Our oldest horse is a 32 year old blind stallion. Don't feel sorry for him, he is in better shape than most people and spoiled. Our youngest is a 4 month old miniature horse "Fire Cracker" she just whupped the farrier and my husband, while they were trying to trim her feet.
We take in abused, neglected, abandoned, starved and ill horses. We buy horses "that are destined for the slaughter lines" too.
My frustration is that the local area is not very supportive of a horse rescue. They are a non-horse friendly community. Probably, the only town in Nebraska that doesn't have some kind of horse events. We don't even have a Future Farmers of America and we are South Central Nebraska! The local law enforcement does not like to deal with me in horse abuse cases. Some areas in Nebraska work very well with me. My own county "Kearney" ignores and turns a blind eye to the abuse. Hopefully, with a new sheriff, that will change. He has horses too.
My husband is 72 and chief feeder and fence builder, I do all the "wonderful" paper work, re-training and medical. Our closest vet is 50 miles away. Volunteers are few and far between, because they don't really want to work? Does anyone else have that problem?
Thanks for letting me sound off in this forum. I am completely immersed in the welfare of our animals, companion and wild, and the well being of this planet. Our small rescue has taken in all kinds of animals and we are a refuge for all birds and other wild creatures.
I love children and see them as our light to saving our planet. They need to be taught to live with our fellow beings, not destroy them. ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:26 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

I know a guy from Kearney, and he's currently making a living shoeing horses. It's amazing to hear about the lack of horse people in that area. I never would have thought.

Post subject: small world
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:54 pm 
New User
New User

His name wouldn't be Bill would it?
Kearney is better than the Minden Area. They are in Buffalo CO.
Kearney CO. really is anti-horse, Minden is the county seat. In fact, they said NO HORSES, in the parade tomorrow, but I am taking two miniatures anyway. What is a parade without horses???? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:39 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Welcome!!!

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject: Re: small world
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:35 am 

celilofalls wrote:
His name wouldn't be Bill would it?
Kearney is better than the Minden Area. They are in Buffalo CO.
Kearney CO. really is anti-horse, Minden is the county seat. In fact, they said NO HORSES, in the parade tomorrow, but I am taking two miniatures anyway. What is a parade without horses???? :D

No, not Bill. This guy lives down here in Texas now. Has been for awhile.

No horses in the parade? Don't think I've ever heard of such a thing.