EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:25 am 
New User
New User

Hello! I suppose I should start out by saying a little about myself. My name is Crystal and I'm 22 years old. The world and all it's inhabitants (whether human, animal, plant or whatever else) have always been important to me. Unfortunately I never really stood up and did anything about it. Having my daughter (who is 4 1/2 months old now) has changed all that and I'm finally starting to get involved. As for the needed suggestions, I'm currently working at a local co-op and have been assigned a project to do. The co-op frequently holds events (board elections, annual meetings, member appreciation parties etc.) My task is to come up with some kind of environmental crafts project to do with kids during these events that would normally be boring for them. There are tons of projects that would be environmentally safe that I could do, but I'm really looking for something with a purpose, something that would raise awareness, and/or benefit an environmental issue or group. If anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:37 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

A great one for a co-op for this time of year is making spiders out of egg crates for Halloween. I'm sure you can find instructions online, but cut out each section of an egg crate (where the eggs go), turn them over and attach either pipe cleaners, string or paper to make legs. The kids can color them in, making faces and eyes.

It's fun, simple and reuses a product that people buy from the coop. My 2 year old loved it.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:35 pm 

You could always collect old inner tubes from impliment dealers or farming operations. Most are just throwing old ones away and they end up in landfills.

I'll make no bones about it. It's my business. I picked up my first load of tubes two weeks ago from an FFA chapter in Oklahoma. Someone there located a pile at a scrap dealer that ended up weighing nearly 18,000 lbs. The dealer allowed FFA the use of a grappler to load onto an open-top semi trailer. Took them about an hour. No one ever even touched an inner tube. They were paid 10 cents per pound, and made almost $1800.

One of my contacts in Wisconsin's got over 26,000 lbs. He'll get at least $2600 for them. Nebraska's got 45,000 lbs--an easy 4.5 grand for something that would have otherwise been put in the dumpter.

Post subject: Kids & the Environment
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:26 pm 
New User
New User

If I read this right you are trying to do a project that would raise environmental awareness, keep the kids entertained, and of course keep them out of their parents hair for awhile.

If possible I think I have a very good solution: take them outside.

The only way to become one with the natural world is to be in it.

I've had 2 jobs in my life where I worked outside. There is nothing else like it. Even the rain and the cold give lessons to be learned.

No doubt some of the parents won't think to much of this idea, and no doubt kids need more looking after when they don't have 4 walls to hold them in. But as always, no good deed goes unpunished.

I count myself very lucky I can sometimes take my 2 step grandchildren out in their wagon and pull them silently into a playground and let their feet touch the good earth. There is NOTHING else like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:57 am 
New User
New User

Hi, my name is noa, and i have an idea for you. Do you have a garage?
cause if you do, you could clear everything out, and make a home for dogs and cats(not sick ones) that are going to be put down or aren't even in the pound. it could be fun for the kids to come back everyday and take them on walks or play with them. It could also be fun for your little girl(after she grows up a bit). and you might even get donations after people hear of what your doing.