EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi people
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:46 am 
New User
New User

Hi, my name is Yael and I have a beautiful black lab called Zeus. I am keen on helping the environment, especially saving all the cute little bush creatures we have in Oz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:30 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Welcome to the forum. What kind of things are you doing for the environment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:05 am 
New User
New User

There's not much you can actively do in Canberra, especially when you're only 14. I used to walk dogs at the RSPCA until they abolished it grrrrrr and I donate to animal charities. Why, what do you do?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:19 am 

What I have done for the environment is: the biggest one--had only one child, built an Earthship and just installed a compost toilet, grow a lot of food, live on totally solar power, water use averages only 35 gallons per person per day, drive a 6 cyl. vehicle (4WD 8,875' in the mtns.), pay the game and fish dept. for wildlife/game management (habitat, carrying capacity, and the cycle of life), live by conservation and "waste not--want not, recycle, am a member of NPG, TNUSA, CCN , always continue learning and observing, and promote these things to all I encounter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:43 am 
New User
New User

You're kidding! That sure is a lot. Good on you. What is an Earthship?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:30 pm 

An Earthship is a self heating house made out of rammed earth tires and other re-used and recycled materials. Gardens are in the house for growing food and flowers, rainwater is caught and stored (some may be built with total water recycling systems), waste is composted instead of flushed away or thrown away. The sun is not only used for heat, but power. Other types of independent power systems can be used, but the idea is independence. Concepts such as solar thermal gain and loss, super insulation, and soil analysis are in there, too. They take a lot of strength and intelligence to build properly, and are built for future generations, not the selfishness of now. They are based on three books from solarsurvival.com or your library---"Earthship" (I, II, III) by Michael Reynolds--an architect from Taos, New Mexico. They are really super cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:25 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Johhny, Does wildlife/game management promote hunting and trapping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:51 am 

Violet13 wrote:

Only when it's done properly. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:43 pm 

Violet13 wrote:

"Habitat, carrying capacity, and the cycle of life".... in any given area on the Dept. of Wildlife map, the amount of game animals that will not be killed by predators and the habitat will not support through the winter, are determined by biologists in the field. This is the number that can be hunted for low fat, chemical free meat. Using an 80% success rate for issuance of tags, and a lottery system for drawing, if you lose, you get points for next year. In some areas, like here, there are more hunters than game animals that are extra and will die in winter. In other areas, animal rights people have interfered with proper management, and game animals are overpopulating in residential areas. Car accidents, and other property damage has ensued, along with ridiculous spending of public money to try unsuccessful artificial birth control to wild animals. They could offer free tags to out of state qualified hunters, and gain tourist dollars. They don't understand that it is the cycle of life and that for humans to eat, even vegetables, something has got to die. If you get to study biology and ecology enough, you may begin to understand this cycle of life. So much to learn. Talk to an aborigine elder.

Post subject: Re: Hi people
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:02 am 
New User
New User

No matter what age you are you can always do something for the environment - grow your own veggies, only buy from farmers you know, support environmental charities, try to save energy, buy bouquets at organic flower deliveries, try to find out about environmental activists in your area, etc
There is so much you can do, also so many small things :D
You will be amazed! But for your age you are already doing a phenomenal job! =D>