EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pin balling around.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:09 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Tariq Ali is definitely a heavy weight in the world arena of political analysis and probably rightly so, but when I read him here I'm getting a feeling that he is kind of guessing at a lot of stuff and no longer has a central theme he can hang on to. He's kind of pin balling around you might say. The reason I point this out here is I get a kind of lost feeling generally from political writers these days. Either they trot out predictable old tropes or their focus is getting smaller and more like their looking for a pop audience. Well they've got to make a living. The right is either paying homage to the big money greedniks or the religious nutcases and the left is thrashing around for something that will sustain them beyond class struggle politics which seems to bore folks. Predictions from every side have just gone down the toilet. If there is some new hot analysis out there that dove tails with reality it is apparently in a cave somewhere waiting to come out.

Allowing for a few solid points by Ali can you detect any coherent theme by him or parenthetically any other political writer? George Monbiot who I rate as a top of the line political writer nevertheless pooh poohs overpopulation. The last serious comprehensive thinker I can point to was Buckminster Fuller, now dead, and he was an engineer.

Anyway see what you make of this Tariq Ali piece.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/04/17/ ... -disorder/