[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Obama's Cairo speech

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obama's Cairo speech
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:03 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

If you missed it, as I did, here's the entire speech as well as some iinteresting discourse.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/mesh/2009/ ... e-muslims/

He covers A LOT of territory and I think, nails it!

Post subject: Re: Obama's Cairo speech
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:18 am 

Is there a reader's digest version of that mumbling, Animal-friendly? Having to sit thru 55 minutes of Obama is more then I'd wish on anyone.

A unofficial poll by myself among the comments that followed I concluded they thought;

1) it was a thoughtful speech that covered much ground.
2) Till we actually see actions, not words, the speech means little.

Anyone else?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:46 pm 

[quote="Iowanic"]Is there a reader's digest version of that mumbling, Animal-friendly? Having to sit thru 55 minutes of Obama is more then I'd wish on anyone.

I'm sorry you felt that way Iowa. I was deeply interested in what he had to say. I found his speech to be the voice of reason in a world gone all lusty-like for violence. War is the easy solution, as he pointed out; while peace is a little more difficult to achieve and maintain. I loved what he had to say about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. He finally laid it on straight. Israel is not going to go away and the Palestinians need a home so let's get on with figuring this mess out insteading of funding the Israeli's to blast the Palestinians away. I wonder why Bush never thought of that ....

He has made it absolutely clear that Americans do not want any stake in Iraq and lays no claim to their resources.

He spoke of an american citizen's right to wear the hajib.

He spoke to the education and rights of women.

Well, he said much and was totally reasonable in all that he said - and that is truly refreshing!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:52 pm 

Well; there seems to be general consenus he said thoughtful things.....give him credit for that.

But it's always easier to talk, then do. Bush made a very enthralling speech about why we had to go into Iraq. Didn't make it any neater, did it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:10 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:26 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:31 pm 

Geez, griz.
Tell us what ya really think! :D

Truthfully, I AM trying to give the prez a year to show his stuff. So far, at least, I don't think much has changed. Obama is Bush-lite. He's shown the ability to sit behind the steering wheel and go 'Vroom Vroom." But he hasn't shown a lot about actually being able to drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:46 pm 

Thanx for the text, Griz.

I think Prez. Obama is a fine speech-maker.

I'm waiting to see if he can deliver on his promises.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:23 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:34 pm 

I'd have to check. Been a while..... years.

I recall my father was dying in the hospital at the time.....

He was laying in bed, all these tubes hooked up to him, wasting away with nothing any of us could do about it. Halfway thru the speech he starts making faces. At the end of it, me and my brother turned to him and said "Whatca think, dad?"
My dad says "Isn't the cubs game on? I'd rather watch successful baseball players then loser Presidents, any day of the week."

Wisdom of the ages, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:24 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:30 pm 

Obama.....he sure does talk purty!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:20 am