[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Jobs terminated as California goes bankrupt .

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:17 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

From the Independent newspaper,...

" Politicians had already spent the entire weekend in Sacramento trying to break the gridlock, with sometimes surreal results: at one point on Saturday, they were forced to surrender car keys to security guards, to ensure that no one took advantage of a short toilet break to run away. The tortured nature of proceedings, in the face of looming crisis, leaves California, one of the world’s wealthiest regions, on the brink of becoming the first state in US history to be declared insolvent."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 24892.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:40 am 

Only in California. Thank god....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:23 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:39 am 

As long as California goes belly-up first, the better for the rest of us.

'course, we'll have to deal with all the refugees but hey...you can't make a omulet without breaking some eggs...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:22 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:09 am 

No, sorry....no coin.

Anyone else? XX needs change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 am 

If I just giggle, will I get more mileage?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:24 am 

I think we'll all be feeling this before the smoke clears and the dust settles. Unfortunately, we live in a society where people are used to having things given or provided for them; usually at the expense of government. As government is forced to cut back, the goods and services we have all grown to expect may not be there. We are going to have to learn to stand on our own two feet again, and for some that will be painful.

To our credit, we must remember that our parents did without many of the things we have now, as did their parents. And, we can, too. All it will take is some determination and the willingness to adapt to our own particular needs. The days of "gimme" are going to come to an end. And, as far as I'm concerned, none too soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:38 am 

I started about 10 years ago saying that money may become worthless and governments cannot be trusted to survive such financial hickups. Get ready for a time when you cannot buy anything no matter how rich you are.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:45 am 

I don't think we've gotten that bad yet, Ann, nor do I think we will. What I fear most are those who listen and follow the heed of doomsayers who profess themselves as prophets and do little more than create and feed an unnecessary panic among those who should know better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:43 am 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:27 am 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:28 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

"The mightiest of weapons is truth. And everyone knows you’re not permitted to enter a Government building with a weapon." -- The Covert Comic www.covertcomic.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 pm 

I agree things aren't good, and that the indications are that things will get worse. But, just as with global warming and all the other things that are wrong with our world today, it took time to get to this point. Placing blame on a single person, or administration, isn't always correct. In some instances, we have to look back even further to find the real culprit. Some of the policies enacted by previous administrations are just now having an effect. Measures taken now may be able to stall the downfall, but I doubt they will be much more than a temporary fix.

We've all allowed just too much to take place for which we should have retained control over. Government seems pretty much out of our control, and I'm not sure how to counter than amount of control. However, that said, I think it most important that people "ride herd" on their elected officials. We have but one tool to overcome those who seem destined more to advance themselves than what may be best for the country as a whole. That tool is our vote. We have to be able to sort out truth from political rhetoric. I've learned not to listen too close to what politicians say during a campaign because I find it mostly to court votes. Once in office, it's surprising just how many politicians ever remember all those promises they made to voters out on the election trail. And even those who try their best to represent the people learn quickly that simply isn't the way it's done.

How do we change this? Simply don't vote for anyone already in office. Fresh blood in politics is the only way to overcome the longstanding traditions and effects of those adversely affecting our lands.

Postscript: For what this is worth, I'm not at all pleased with this new stimulus bill. I believe it was loaded with self-centered pork designed for no other reason that to bring what I think otherwise useless spending into specific areas with an outcome that has very little to do with the creation of jobs and strengthening the economy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:21 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

"The mightiest of weapons is truth. And everyone knows you’re not permitted to enter a Government building with a weapon." -- The Covert Comic www.covertcomic.com