EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The HEAT Goes On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:07 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

In my little part of Southeast Texas, the heat is on. Throughout the last three weeks, we have received little (if any) measurable precipitation, and have suffered through very high temperatures and humidity levels. Storms coming out of the southwest have moved completely around us due to the presence of a dome of high pressure located southeast of us. That dome of high pressure is slated to move more west and northwestward during the next few days and settle in right atop Texas. Forecasts show we could be facing more of the same (drought) over much of the next three months.

If there is a bright side to any of this, it has to be that any storms that may develop over the south Atlantic or Caribbean Sea will be forced to move well south of Texas, and thus could be prevented from causing the problems and challenges that Hurricanes Gustav and Ike did last year.

P.S.: The soil composition around here is called "gumbo", and is comprised mostly of clay. When gumbo is wet, it is like soup; and, when gumbo is dry, it can take a jack-hammer to dig into it. Right now, it is very dry. In some places throughout my yard, there are cracks in the soil upwards of three-quarters of an inch wide and four to six inches deep. Later today, I'll get my camera out to see if I can take some pictures of the cracks to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Post subject: Re: The HEAT Goes On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:16 pm 

The part of Saskatchewan where my dad has a farm, the clay layer is about 20-100 feet thick from an ancient inland sea. When it gets dry we have measured cracks to be at least 15 feet deep in places (stick a tape measure down them). If you see a rain cloud, get off the field quick or you may be stuck with a few inches of glue-like clay filling the wheel wells.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:00 pm 

Ain't ya glad global warming is a myth, eh? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:29 pm 

Ann, that's a lot like it is around here. Foundations (slabs) have to be poured when the ground is dry otherwise there is a good chance the soil will settle and the slabs crack in time. The same holds true with everything from fence posts to utility poles. Special substances are sometimes forced into the holes to provide stability to the pole or post.

Contrary to what many say and have said, I'm still not sold on this idea of global warming. I stand firm on the idea this is just another cycle old Mother Earth is going through, and that it will pass. How long it will take to pass is anyone's guess, but there is compelling evidence to substantial the claim that this isn't the first time something like this has taken place, nor is it any proof it won't happen again. I do admit, however, that man has probably something to do with the severity of the climate change in that we have been abusing Earth's natural resources for hundreds of years without regard to their sustainability.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:57 pm 

THIS is Dry!!!