EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:38 pm 
Offline
New User
New User
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 49
:mrgreen: Since everyone is concerned about our environment and global warming, a new subgenre in thriller novels has surfaced. It’s been called environmental, enviro or eco thrillers. Going green and bioterrorism are at odds with each other in the action filled environmental thriller – Green Power. Signed copies available on amazon.com from GP_AUTHOR. More info on book at: http://www.freewebs.com/vrooman

_________________
Charles Vrooman: http://www.freewebs.com/vrooman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:46 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2290
Location: Central Colorado
This sub-genre was started by Clive Cussler back with White Death and Polar Shift to Plague Ship and others.....nothing new. Clive Cussler "Environmental thrillers": Fire Ice is about the environmental disaster of someone using the sensitivity of ocean methane hydrate deposits for huge explosions, Polar shift is about environmental disaster with pole reversal, White death is about escaped genetically modified voracious fish, Shock Wave is about using long range oceanic pulses to kill areas, Sahara is about released toxins causing an epidemic disease, Fllod Tide is about the environmental disaster of blowing dikes in the Mississippi lowlands, Plague ship is about a human engineered disease to be used to stop overpopulation, Black Wind is about bad guys finding and using a WWII toxin, Medusa is about a deadly virus and the race for the antidote, and Arctic Drift is about a breakthrough discovery that can reverse global warming.
You've been advertising your book all over the net, which is a good way to sell more books. I suppose the only way to find out if it measures even close to Cussler is to read it.
After reading the synopsis and excerpts, I will not read it(but I changed my mind and it is a good book). The stereotyping of combat veterans is disgusting (and not knowing the purpose of stopping the spread of communism). Replacing the power of a downed nuclear reactor with cow dung methane digesters is absurd because of the power differential. (actually it was about the shut down of the bad nuclear reactor in the days of 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl being a fresh memory--in the 1990s new safe reactor tech was developed)
Well, maybe the excerpts don't show the "good vets"(actually there is one) or the other green power sources to replace the nuclear reactor. I do remember it reading that it took place in 1989, and that kind of got me as being not too contemporary(back before the two week wait to get into Yosemite or the outnumbering of Americans by invaders and the huge debt and red ink they have incurred). Maybe that was just part of the book(actually the two page last chapter brings the reader up to the late 1990s), but having "bad vets" at 60+ years old running around shooting at the good guys is a stretch for 2009(the book took place in 1989, with a Van Halen concert and romance and tear jerking mom reunion).
I may read it when it goes down in price, or on the used book market. I bought the signed edition direct. About the stereotyping of the militia, most militias are for the purpose of upholding the US Constitution, and even with this one, only three of the group were bad guys, pushed over the edge by unemployment they saw caused by the good guy who was not so good at first. It was part medical thriller, a small part environmental thriller, part action and part romance novel. Really mostly historical because of the 1989 time frame and a little miss leading now that safe nuclear power is part of green power, along with solar and wind, and a small part the methane capture plants.:)

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Last edited by Johhny Electriglide on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:00 pm 
Offline
New User
New User
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 49
I’m sorry if someone felt that I stereotyped Viet Nam vets. It’s true that my antagonist was a Viet Nam vet. But I try to point out in his characterization that he and his type are exceptions. As an author one must create conflict between the main characters. That’s why my protagonist is portrayed as a hippy who lead demonstrations against the Viet Nam war, while my antagonist was an officer carrying out search and destroy missions like the Melai incident.
Also, in my novel, I never implied that methane digesters would replace nuclear power plants. These were projects that my protagonist was working on to give power to dairies.
To be fair to my book, I’m attaching a synopsis below for those who haven’t visited my website (http://www.freewebs.com/vrooman). I welcome any comments.
Synopsis:
After the renowned Microbiologist Dr. Ray Pendleton leads a demonstration to close down Rancho Seco Nuclear Power Plant, Ray is assaulted by two of Dirk Hendrickson’s fellow Delta Valley Militiamen. Ray survives the beating and is changed not only outwardly but it gives him the incentive to set up Methane Digesters as an alternative source of electrical power for Lodi dairies.
Dirk’s continued attacks on the professor and his projects results in a death threatening epidemic pointing to one of Ray’s methane lagoons as the cause. The infected patients are admitted to UC Davis Medical Center. Linda McCord, a lab tech at the hospital and former student of Dr. Pendleton, works with Ray to prove that the methane power source is not the cause of this spreading disease. Both Ray and Linda develop a romantic relationship while working together. Linda is devastated when Ray develops a serious infection from the bacterium causing the epidemic.

_________________
Charles Vrooman: http://www.freewebs.com/vrooman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:33 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:53 am
Posts: 2281
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Charles-

Welcome! While we normally don't allow the promotion of people's businesses here, I think it's great to have an author that actively responds to comments. We're glad to have you!

Don't mind some of the grumpier types we seem to have hanging out here lately. :wink:

-josh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:46 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
josh knauer wrote:
Don't mind some of the grumpier types we seem to have hanging out here lately. :wink:


O:)

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:47 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Come on, Josh. Ante's ok, whenever he gets down off his soapbox.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:26 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:53 am
Posts: 2281
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Hey everyone... I just read Charles' book and I liked it! A good story and well paced. I read it in less than 48 hours and was compelled to keep turning the pages and not put it down much. The book appears to be self published and it states in the beginning that it has not been edited by the company that printed it, which is kind of apparent. Other than recommending some more editing to help some of the dialogue flow more smoothly, I liked it.

BTW... it's absurd for people to claim that the author stereotypes vets, as there are both good guy and bad guy vets in this story. Another example of people (Johnny!) rushing to judgment before getting the facts.

Is another one coming, Charles?

-josh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:21 pm 
Offline
New User
New User
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 49
John,

I am pleased that you enjoyed reading my novel - Green Power. It was published my Publish America, which is, as they say, a “print on demand” publisher. I had to order a certain number of books to get a discount, which I am more than glad to pass on to anyone interested in reading my book.

As an avid reader of medical thrillers and a scientist concerned about our environment, I was able to come up with the idea for this thriller. I will be the first to admit that I’m not a literary writer. It seems that someone mentioned Clive Cussler as one who wrote an environmental thriller. Well, Clive has a writer’s stable who write his books. It’s hard to compete against someone like him.

You asked if I’m working on another book. The answer is yes. But I’m just starting it. So it will be some time before it’s available. It will be a techno/medical; thriller entitled (at present), “The True Virus”.

Thanks again for your positive comments on my book.

Charles

_________________
Charles Vrooman: http://www.freewebs.com/vrooman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:29 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:13 pm
Posts: 7957
Location: Cape Breton Npva Scotia
josh knauer wrote:
Hey everyone... I just read Charles' book and I liked it! A good story and well paced. I read it in less than 48 hours and was compelled to keep turning the pages and not put it down much. The book appears to be self published and it states in the beginning that it has not been edited by the company that printed it, which is kind of apparent. Other than recommending some more editing to help some of the dialogue flow more smoothly, I liked it.

BTW... it's absurd for people to claim that the author stereotypes vets, as there are both good guy and bad guy vets in this story. Another example of people (Johnny!) rushing to judgment before getting the facts.

Is another one coming, Charles?

-josh



Not knocking "Green Power "for his OWN STEREOTYPING of his book but it is pretty obvious a stereotypical review, Josh. Each author will face such stereotyping by readers. It is their job to put it all out there. Johnny being stereotyped as rushing to judgment after making some valid notations about age & and the Vets being the culprits shooting at bad guys is worthy of note in his opinion. Why place the rushing to judgments stereotype on Johnny for making remarks about how he felt about 60 year old vets chasing after the *Good Guys*. He simply suggested as to what facts he got out of reviews & excerpts that would turn him off such a book. He actually seems to have put some thought into why those excerpts turned him off and doesn't seem to be rushing into judgment..

_________________
I use red, not because of anger but to define my posts to catch rebuttals latter and it makes the quote feature redundent for me. The rest of you pick your own color.

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:14 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:53 am
Posts: 2281
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Donnie Mac Leod wrote:
josh knauer wrote:
Hey everyone... I just read Charles' book and I liked it! A good story and well paced. I read it in less than 48 hours and was compelled to keep turning the pages and not put it down much. The book appears to be self published and it states in the beginning that it has not been edited by the company that printed it, which is kind of apparent. Other than recommending some more editing to help some of the dialogue flow more smoothly, I liked it.

BTW... it's absurd for people to claim that the author stereotypes vets, as there are both good guy and bad guy vets in this story. Another example of people (Johnny!) rushing to judgment before getting the facts.

Is another one coming, Charles?

-josh



Not knocking "Green Power "for his OWN STEREOTYPING of his book but it is pretty obvious a stereotypical review, Josh. Each author will face such stereotyping by readers. It is their job to put it all out there. Johnny being stereotyped as rushing to judgment after making some valid notations about age & and the Vets being the culprits shooting at bad guys is worthy of note in his opinion. Why place the rushing to judgments stereotype on Johnny for making remarks about how he felt about 60 year old vets chasing after the *Good Guys*. He simply suggested as to what facts he got out of reviews & excerpts that would turn him off such a book. He actually seems to have put some thought into why those excerpts turned him off and doesn't seem to be rushing into judgment..


I guess facts just don't matter in debate any more. There are vets on BOTH sides of the law in this story. Why don't you read the book and then join us for a discussion. Until then, you are talking out your rear about things you don't know.

-josh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:29 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:13 pm
Posts: 7957
Location: Cape Breton Npva Scotia
josh knauer wrote:
Donnie Mac Leod wrote:
josh knauer wrote:
Hey everyone... I just read Charles' book and I liked it! A good story and well paced. I read it in less than 48 hours and was compelled to keep turning the pages and not put it down much. The book appears to be self published and it states in the beginning that it has not been edited by the company that printed it, which is kind of apparent. Other than recommending some more editing to help some of the dialogue flow more smoothly, I liked it.

BTW... it's absurd for people to claim that the author stereotypes vets, as there are both good guy and bad guy vets in this story. Another example of people (Johnny!) rushing to judgment before getting the facts.

Is another one coming, Charles?

-josh



Not knocking "Green Power "for his OWN STEREOTYPING of his book but it is pretty obvious a stereotypical review, Josh. Each author will face such stereotyping by readers. It is their job to put it all out there. Johnny being stereotyped as rushing to judgment after making some valid notations about age & and the Vets being the culprits shooting at bad guys is worthy of note in his opinion. Why place the rushing to judgments stereotype on Johnny for making remarks about how he felt about 60 year old vets chasing after the *Good Guys*. He simply suggested as to what facts he got out of reviews & excerpts that would turn him off such a book. He actually seems to have put some thought into why those excerpts turned him off and doesn't seem to be rushing into judgment..


I guess facts just don't matter in debate any more. There are vets on BOTH sides of the law in this story. Why don't you read the book and then join us for a discussion. Until then, you are talking out your rear about things you don't know.

-josh





Actually Josh I was pointing out why Mr Electroguide felt differently about the book because of other reviews & excerpts. You must have missed that.

_________________
I use red, not because of anger but to define my posts to catch rebuttals latter and it makes the quote feature redundent for me. The rest of you pick your own color.

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:53 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
josh knauer wrote:
Charles-

Welcome! While we normally don't allow the promotion of people's businesses here, I think it's great to have an author that actively responds to comments. We're glad to have you!

Don't mind some of the grumpier types we seem to have hanging out here lately. :wink:

-josh


josh knauer wrote:
josh knauer wrote:
Hey everyone... I just read Charles' book and I liked it! A good story and well paced. I read it in less than 48 hours and was compelled to keep turning the pages and not put it down much. The book appears to be self published and it states in the beginning that it has not been edited by the company that printed it, which is kind of apparent. Other than recommending some more editing to help some of the dialogue flow more smoothly, I liked it.

BTW... it's absurd for people to claim that the author stereotypes vets, as there are both good guy and bad guy vets in this story. Another example of people (Johnny!) rushing to judgment before getting the facts.

Is another one coming, Charles?

-josh



I guess facts just don't matter in debate any more. There are vets on BOTH sides of the law in this story. Why don't you read the book and then join us for a discussion. Until then, you are talking out your rear about things you don't know.

-josh


Ummm....just a few things to help clarify all this, Josh. First Charles has been a member of the board for quite a long time and he has always responded and participated in discussions. And you probably don't remember but we also decided a very long time ago to allow Charles to post and talk about his books.....because he does participate in discussions.

Second, the book is a work of literary "fiction"....It is not a book of facts....it is subject to interpretations, hence the reviews, which are usually made by several professionals to give a wide spectrum of views. Reviews are made to help people with the choice to see if they want to read the entire book or not based on the opinions of others.

And this was never a debate...and didn't become one just because you liked the book and went after Johnny's opinion based on reviews and excerpts or because you called some posters grumpy....all you can ever have in this is an opinion and that opinion is right for the person having it. You liked it and it holds no interest for Johnny. Your opinion on the book doesn't trump another's opinion of the book. This book hold no interest for me either for a few reasons but I may be interested in the the medical thriller.

Just like any other book, movie, artwork, etc.....some people will like it, some won't. This is the only FACT in this discussion.
SHEESH.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
Group hug?

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:23 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:53 am
Posts: 2281
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Group hug? Nah, I'm feeling feisty. :wink:

I think it is absurd to criticize a book that you've never read. If you've read it, you have every right to criticize it. Quotes from Johnny, who never read the book:

Quote:
The stereotyping of combat veterans is disgusting.


While I agree with the statement, it has almost no relevance to this book (which I have read). Deciding not to read a book based on a review is fine, I guess, but attacking the author for things that you "heard" are in a book, but aren't, is offensive. We live in a society where we take everyone else's word for things without ever understanding or experiencing it ourselves, and then somehow feel the right to rebroadcast these falsehoods publicly. This is a precise example of that happening.

AnimalLover... Johnny has no standing to review the book because he hasn't read it. He made false "factual" assertions about the book based on second hand information. His restatement of those reviewers opinion as fact is wrong. The supposed fact itself is wrong, and I have no problem exposing that. As always, he (and you) have every right to respond to what I'm saying and strongly disagree if you want. Having a disagreement can be a great thing and is not something I wish to eliminate on these boards.

If someone else has read the book and wants to state their opinion about the book, or say that they won't read the book because it got negative reviews, fine. Just don't go spouting off supposed facts that are false about the book. (saying this as a regular user, not a site admin... perfectly fine to tell me to f off)

-josh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:05 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
I can do feisty. :wink: :twisted:

You may want to note that Johnny did NOT write a review he based his opinion off of reviews, and I am pretty sure that those were done by people that read the book and have significant standing to write those reviews.
Slight goal post move on your part there, Josh. :wink:

Also, I am guessing you are not a Vietnam Vet and cannot speak to what they would find insulting, offensive or anything else....nor would you see things in the same light as they would.

One more thing is Charles asked for opinions and comments and he was given that and he is fine and responded. He did not ask for only those that said how wonderful the book is. As an author I would suspect that he is use to not everyone liking the book for various reasons. It does come with the territory. That doesn't change because "you" liked it.

And everyone is entitled to have an opinion even if it is not based on the criteria you set. Again not everyone will get the same things out of the book or feel the same way....regardless of reading it or not or based on the reviews.

I do not have to read it to know I personally would not like it....and why. I can tell that from the reviews and what Charles has said about it.

All you have done here, in essence, is to place your review of the book above some of the other reviews, and your opinion above that of others. Again it is a work of literary fiction and will be interpreted differently by different people. You cannot change that.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group