EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:46 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Having read...well...listened to the audio book Contagion, Green Power sounds very interesting. I'll pick it up next time I'm in the vicinity of Barnes & Noble.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:03 pm 

greenpower wrote:
The main reason I wrote my novel, Green Power, is to address environmental issues. My plot revolves around my main character setting up methane digesters as an alternate source of energy for dairies. He is against the use of nuclear energy and since he lost his father in an explosion at an oil refinery he is for alternate fuels. Does anyone want to discuss my environmental thriller in regards to nuclear power plants and the use of fossil fuels?

So sorry that you are experiencing some of the worst that this forum has to offer. People seem to think this forum is for high-school level mental masturbation and nitpicking.

As I said above, I liked your book a lot. It's very clear we need to be rethinking energy production in our society. On a topically-related note, I just read in the news today about a local sewage treatment plant that is recapturing the methane it produces for energy production. Made me think of your book! Here's the link: http://wduqnews.blogspot.com/2009/08/se ... green.html

-josh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:03 pm 
New User
New User

Thanks Josh for your comment. I needed to hear it. Again, I'm glad you enjoyed my book.
As for methane digesters on a big scale, we have one in Sacramento. It's at the Kiefer landfill and supplies a large amount of electricity for our local power company (SMUD).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:57 pm 

greenpower wrote:
The main reason I wrote my novel, Green Power, is to address environmental issues. My plot revolves around my main character setting up methane digesters as an alternate source of energy for dairies. He is against the use of nuclear energy and since he lost his father in an explosion at an oil refinery he is for alternate fuels. Does anyone want to discuss my environmental thriller in regards to nuclear power plants and the use of fossil fuels?
I liked the book, and had to keep in mind this was 1989 when 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl were fresh memories of bad reactors. I knew that in 1995 the safe glass ball reactor type was developed and another type since then. So-called environmentalists block the use of the perfectly good Yucca Mountain nuclear waste disposal site, and keep the fear up even with safe reactors. Methane digesters are more in use for small power plants, and there is a lot more wind and solar now--but not near enough. The methane releases from global warming of the tundras started in 2000, and could not be captured. Methane being 23 times worse than CO2 for heat trapping effects, it is better to trap and burn the much smaller amount from animal dung that can be easily put in the digester type power plants, even though small. The portent of what the tundra methane releases mean is not understood or believed by most. The CO2 from humans is the worst culprit for causing the methane releases, and they can become enough with more human CO2 emissions, to eventually become an unstoppable feedback loop toward Eocene Max conditions and mass extinctions because of the time frame.
Safe nuclear reactors are now part of the Green Power needed to replace fossil fuel burning. It is more than going solar or reducing population, the human habits of slash and burn and swamp draining have to end because they cause half the human caused CO2. Electric vehicles and hybrids have to replace the regular cars and some trucks. Back in 1989 was before the electric car corruption fiasco in California, too. People then and even now, simply do not believe that human numbers and practices can do anything to the biosphere, even with the real graphs and facts in front of them. Report after report indicates that time is of the essence, while maybe one good thing is being done for every action that negates it by governments and people. Simply being knowledgeable, observant, and living life in these times is becoming a real life environmental thriller.