EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tiller girls
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:28 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

When you collect your food spy the id card on the lady that you served you. It will show a name . Collect your goods and thank her with her name. It will make her her day. :?: :!:

Post subject: Re: tiller girls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:04 pm 

XXMag wrote:
Allow me to draw this out some.

A lot of those service sector jobs are pretty crummy drudgery – but hey, someone has to do them and a man’s gotta eat. But the one thing worse than the drudgery is a well meaning but accidentally condescending sap regurgitating your name from a lame name badge, an act that you can’t reciprocate thus cementing your brief relationship as one of master and servant; superior and inferior.

If they had forgotten that they were on a lower rung of the social ladder at that moment, I’m sure they’ll thank you for the reminder. At least so I’m told. I had a few friends in college working menial service industry jobs part time and a absolute stranger addressing them like an old friend aggravated them to no end. Then again, perhaps they were over thinking the whole situation and being a tad touchy.

Wow! This is so well expressed - I have never heard the "name tag inequality" issue so well explained. I'm sure Mothy has very friendly intentions but has probably not thought of, well .... the unfairness really, of knowing and freely using the name of the person serving you when they do not have the priviledge of knowing and using yours.

Post subject: Re: tiller girls
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:00 pm 

XXMag wrote:
Allow me to draw this out some.

A lot of those service sector jobs are pretty crummy drudgery – but hey, someone has to do them and a man’s gotta eat. But the one thing worse than the drudgery is a well meaning but accidentally condescending sap regurgitating your name from a lame name badge, an act that you can’t reciprocate thus cementing your brief relationship as one of master and servant; superior and inferior.

If they had forgotten that they were on a lower rung of the social ladder at that moment, I’m sure they’ll thank you for the reminder. At least so I’m told. I had a few friends in college working menial service industry jobs part time and a absolute stranger addressing them like an old friend aggravated them to no end. Then again, perhaps they were over thinking the whole situation and being a tad touchy.

What a load of nonsense. Tags I hate but speaking to someone by name either within a superficial environment or within a more personal one to me has no difference. I'm at the lower range of the social ladder money wise so this social discrimination does not hold.

By recognising their name and saying thank you with a smile I am acknowledging they are human and not the end of the conveyor belt process.