[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Do You Have a Hobby"

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do You Have a Hobby"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:05 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

What is it? Is it something you actively participate in, or are you more like me: in some cases an "arm-chair" hobbiest who does more dreaming and planning that actually participating?

One of my hobbies is model railroading. Although I have neither the time nor the room to build a layout, I enjoy reading books and magazines about the subject, and viewing Internet videos demonstrating the layouts created by others. Perhaps a day will come when I, too, can do the same.

And I enjoy weather. I have a personal weather station mounted atop my house that broadcasts to a speciific weather-related website throughout the day and night. I also offer an Internet email-based weather advisory system that provides subscribers up-to-date weather information specific to their respective area (US only).

Post subject: Re: Do You Have a Hobby"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

A few years back I got into the model railroad hobby. The kid and I made a nice 4x8 layut in the basement. But after 2 years of fairly dry springs we got a really wet one and the layout became a moldy pile of fake grass.
I was working on running a double track around the living room on bookshelves but that was stopped by she who must be obeyed.
So now my only hobby is the farm.

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:24 am 

I did paintings in acrylics or watercolours, but haven't done any for years since Arthur Itis took up residence.
I was a 'hobby bobby' ...Special Constable...years ago until I resigned to take care of my late partner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:05 am 

Both me and my brother are a bit of weather nuts, Road. We're putting up a weather station (Another, note) in the back yard today.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:12 am 

I collect gold, silver, guns and ammo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 am 

"nic", are you using a commercially produced station, or a grouping of individual instruments you gathered on your own?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:11 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:26 pm 

Toss in beer, books and a good woman and you got it all, Johnnie! \:D/

I've got a Davis precision model, Road. We're planning on putting it up today: we just can't decide where to put it. Probably on the roof....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:33 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:47 pm 

If you mount the station on the roof, you might want to consider some type of a solar shield for the thermo sensor. Direct sunlight onto the unit can throw off your temperature readings substantially. Because, at the time I purchased my weather station, no such critter was available, I fashioned one out of a plastic milk carton and mounted it between the thermo-hydro sensor and the shaft onto which the unit is mounted.

By the way, I have a LaCrosse Technology WS-2310 wireless weather station.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:24 pm 

Road, do you have a webpage? There was a picture of a guy in a blue shirt......anyone we know? :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:07 am 

endorphines...and rum.

these are my hobbies 8-[ =P~

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:53 am 

For the time being, this is as close as it comes to having a full-blown webpage:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:56 pm 

Ok, that's cool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:58 pm 

That's where the weather data collected by my station is transmitted and formatted. Note, however, that for some as yet unexplained reason, there are variations from the actual data. I've been working with both the equipment manufacturer, the software producer and WeatherUnderground in trying to figure out where the errant data is coming from. There isn't anything in either their records, or my database which would indicate severe fluctuations.