[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Quitting Smoking

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What Anti-Smoking Options Have You Used?
gum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
patch 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
pill 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
will-power 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
other 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Quitting Smoking
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:44 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Now that the costs associated with smoking have risen dramatically, and health concerns continue to grow, what means have you tried or used to beat the habit?

Post subject: Re: Quitting Smoking
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:59 am 

None of the above. Never smoked. O:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:57 am 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:36 pm 

My "other" was the Nicotrol Nasal Spray®. A hit of that up each nostril was like gettin' the same amount of nicotine from one cigarette. It worked. Been smoke free for 10 years now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:16 pm 

I tried it once, back in the army, but didn't care for it.
My father smoked for 15 years, then quit cold-turkey. He called the first week after doing so one of the most horrid weeks of his life.
He died from cancer. Funny how it works that way, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:23 pm 

I tried the patches out of curiosity. I'm presently on 55 patches per day and 100 grammes of Drum. Getting another patch added tomorrow! \:D/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:05 pm 

At 55 patches per day, plus puffing your little heart out, you'd be near dead! Your heart wouldn't be able to take the strain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:27 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Started in 10th grade....a long time ago.
Quit for 8 months in 92. Just quit. Had half a pack left and 3 or 4 packs in a carton.
Started dating a chick who smoked and I was still OK till one evening I put one in my mouth to light it for her....
Quit in Jan....Smoked a pack and a half in less than 12 hours and decided that was enough. Obammy is scheduled to raise taxes, Doyle (our fabulous governor) is slated to do the same.
I suppose I'm an ass since I will no longer be giving my hard earned money to support other peoples health care through the tobacco tax.
I still really miss it. I promised myself if I'm still around and the stuff is legal I'll take it back up when I'm 80.

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:31 am 

Let the record show that once, I quit every Monday for six months.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:11 am 

Sounds like me and my diet.

Except it went for years.... :-&

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:07 pm 

Roadside, did you ever quit smoking?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:27 pm 

My "other" is to be the odd, geeky kid who at the age of about 4, decided that I would never smoke, not even to try it... and never did. 40 years later I still have no interest in ever trying it.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:26 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

I've never smoked, but I used to use smokeless tobacco. I quit at the behest of my wife, who was still just my girlfriend at the time, who thought it was a really nasty habit, which it is, and was tired of me doing it. Gave it up cold turkey. Really missed it for about two weeks, and then cravings pretty much disappeared. Haven't touched it for about 15 years.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:14 pm 

Nope ... and, I haven't the right mindset for it either. I enjoy it too much. Heck, I haven't time for a social life, or even a love-life, so I have to have something. Smoking is it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:04 pm 

It is interesting that this two year old thread came back from someone named "hanger" posting, but then the post got erased, and the thread is still here with "hanger" listed as the last poster in the topic area, but not here.
It took me nine times to quit smoking. Hypnosis didn't work, twice. The wellbutrin pill didn't work the first time, the patch didn't work twice, and the gum didn't work twice, and will power didn't work. The ninth time, with the help of group therapy and the VA program, I quit on 4-4-04 successfully. We took the wellbutrin pill two for two days then one a day for 8 weeks, starting one week before our quit date. We saved up the butts in that week in a half 20 oz bottle of water. We attended group therapy weekly for 6 weeks. On the quit day, we started on the patches. I knew from previous experience that the 7mg/day step down was too much for me, so I used one 4mg nicotine gum the first day, two halves the next two days, to smooth the let down. When I had an urge, I would use sugar free hard candy, sugar free gum, and take whiffs off that butt bottle and nearly dry heave. The group therapy gave me some tools like keeping in mind the goals, drinking plenty of water, and taking vitamins. I didn't want the health risks any more. I wanted better stamina at my high altitude home.
So, with the so called poll, there is no choice for all of these and more. Nicotine is as addictive as crack cocaine, and tougher to quit that booze in some ways. I had quit drinking almost 8 years before I quit smoking, and was well established with "To thine own self be true", which helped with the discipline and spiritual power to break that nasty habit.