EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:29 pm 
New User
New User

I need a voice on the press...

I have so much to say, but I will try to keep it short. Please read until the end.

I have exhausted all my options trying to find one airline that would accept my pet to travel with me in cabin.
Before you jumped with the solution let me tell you the situation.
My cat will not travel by cargo or as luggage. ( My personal choice and Vets advice)
1)He will only travel with me. He is my only baby and companion.
2)He was given green light from his vets to travel with me in cabin.
3)He is 16 years old, he has a mild heart condition, he is diabetic, and large cat (21 lbs).
4) I love him more than anything in my life. But I need to visit my mother and bring him with me.

I called all airlines that I could find with flights to Sao Paulo, Brazil. Here is the list: Delta, United, Tam, Avianca, Aero Sur, Lan. Taca, Copa, Aerolinea Argentinas,Qatar, Pluna, Us Airways , American Airlines, Continental and finally Air Canada.

Air Canada has he largest cabin carrier demensions of all the airlines. My cat fits within the Air Canada under-seat dimensions, but they have a 22lbs weight limit (cat and carrier together). My cat is 21 lbs, and I can customized a light weight soft carrier for him. However, the carrier would have to be a minimum 2 lbs. I called Air Canada and they refused to accept 1lb extra. They will not allow my cat to travel with me because the carrier would be 22 lbs instead of the 21 lb limit! They were my last hope. I need to travel not as a vacation, but because my mother is sick.

I refuse for many reason to leave my cat here, even in a care of professions. He requires a great deal of daily care and medicine, and i will be away for over a month. I am alone in this country, and I don't have many friends. Here comes what I need from you "ANIMAL LOVERS." I need A VOICE to help me make this issue to become public, that I am sure many other pet lovers encounter to be heard.
I am from Sao Paulo, Brazil where I need to go. I was an animal rescuer in My country. I kept all animals that were not suitable for adoption, and gave them the best care they could. I have spent 20 years of caring for cats with special needs and spending a great amount of money on vets bills (I am not complaining about the expenses). My father is American, I have a green card, and I am applying for citizenship.

I CAN'T anymore ignore, that us "PET OWNERS" we are not treat equally. Or with dignity in many aspects just because we chose an animal as our companion in life. I urge for a little respect in this case.
Can you believe that until today money that we spend on our pets ARE NOT TAX DEDUCTIBLE (including vet bills) ? They are our companion, but WE do not have the same rights. If I chose to be a single mother of a furry soon, I should receive some break as well.
And that would help many families that care and love for their animals, and some refund on their tax would come handy.

Many airlines adapted their seats to be able to accommodate obese passengers. So what is the difference? Why can't they do the same to accommodate within reason a few extra pounds cat or dog?
Please if you have an idea (remember: dispatching my cat as luggage, cargo or leave him here, is not an option), let me know. I am desperate. If you have contacts with other groups, and know other people that went through the same problem, please let me know.
And ultimately if you have some media friends that would like to interview me, and learn more about what I am going through that would be ideal. Making this issue public can bring awareness that as pet owners we should have rights to fly with our small animals (that fit under the seat), and if that means changing policies, we need to start now. We need to be able to fully enjoy the blessing of sharing our lives with our companions without many restrictions.

I am begging for help.
Danielle Areco Veloso