Wayne Stollings wrote:
Kathleen Hobson was eight years old when her mother unknowingly dosed her with poisonous cough syrup. She’d only taken a couple spoonfuls but when investigators came round, they still found nothing left to test. After the little girl died, her mother had set the bottle on fire and then thrown it into the trash.
Charlene Canady was just four when she died from the same medication. Her father had carefully packed the cough syrup bottle, waiting for justice to come calling. I always imagine him silent when he handed the bottle over, grief and his daughter’s name caught like a kind of suffocation in his throat.
The pharmaceutical industry is now required to warn us ... "Take this purple pill to subdue your pain but be aware that this pill may cause liver damage, depression, kidney failure, insomnia and in some cases, death .... be forewarned" (we are required to inform ... legally). And of course, we have tested on animals. It wouldn't be legal otherwise.