EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:59 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Wayne, I need you to set your governor straight when it comes to us backward-thinking Mississippi rednecks. Apparently she's not been keeping up with goings-on within the state in regard to gay rights.

http://vicksburgdailynews.com/2012/05/1 ... ssissippi/

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:42 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Yes, we are almost 8 years behind in discriminationg against a portion of the population ... :mrgreen:

The Mississippi Marriage Amendment 1 (2004) passed on 2004 November 2 during the general elections with 86% of the vote making only marriages between a man and a woman valid in the state, with gay marriages performed elsewhere being treated as void and unenforceable in the state.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_same-sex_m ... z1uribqrPl

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:43 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91751&page=1

A Mississippi judge has come under fire from gay rights groups after he wrote a letter to a local newspaper saying that gays and lesbians "should be put in some type of mental institute" rather than be given the right to marry.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:24 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Yes, we are almost 8 years behind in discriminationg against a portion of the population ... :mrgreen:

I honestly would not have expected it, but if the NC governor thinks this detracts from the positives enough to make the state "look like MS"...whatever. :problem:

Sure will be nice when single people get on this non-discrimination bandwagon.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:07 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Fosgate wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

I honestly would not have expected it, but if the NC governor thinks this detracts from the positives enough to make the state "look like MS"...whatever. :problem:

Sure will be nice when single people get on this non-discrimination bandwagon.

Since Missippi had already voted to add a level of discrimination to their Constitution, that was the point of comparison. Previously North Carolina had been more progressive in eliminating similar racial discrimination aspects from the Constitution, unlike some of the other states, such as Mississippi. I fail to see a positive in such discrimination, myself.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:23 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Since Missippi had already voted to add a level of discrimination to their Constitution, that was the point of comparison. Previously North Carolina had been more progressive in eliminating similar racial discrimination aspects from the Constitution, unlike some of the other states, such as Mississippi. I fail to see a positive in such discrimination, myself.

Oh don't worry. Acceptance of endemic incest more than makes up for it. That can't be too far away for NC now that it's as "back of the bus" as MS. :razz:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Fosgate wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Oh don't worry. Acceptance of endemic incest more than makes up for it. That can't be too far away for NC now that it's as "back of the bus" as MS. :razz:

Well it IS legal to marry one's first cousin here in the Old North State ...... \:D/

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:27 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Well it IS legal to marry one's first cousin here in the Old North State ...... \:D/

First cousin?! Y'all ain't near as progressive as you think! :lol:

Seriously though, MS has a peculiar problem with regard to gay rights. It's not just Bible-thumping, backwoods hicks. It's also the black community.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:31 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Fosgate wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

First cousin?! Y'all ain't near as progressive as you think! :lol:

Seriously though, MS has a peculiar problem with regard to gay rights. It's not just Bible-thumping, backwoods hicks. It's also the black community.

Same here, to an extent. One of the major church leaders was gloating on the TV about "protecting marriage" which brought about the question of how different was the similar protections preventing marriage between the races. He said there was a huge difference because people did not choose to be black so those "protections" were wrong. There have been several columnists pointing out the error in this line of reasoning .... if it can even be called reasoning.

I am pushing for a real amendment to protect marriage, which is to outlaw divorce. Funny thing though, the clergy who think letting gay people form a civil union is going to destroy marriage do not think allowing marriages to be dissolved willy nilly is a real concern. :-s

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:07 pm 

Quote:
There have been several columnists pointing out the error in this line of reasoning .... if it can even be called reasoning.

I honestly don't get it. When I was 5, a phenominal pair of female taller than me told me that I was heterosexual. I didn't have any part in the decision, but I've been quite happy with myself ever since. \:D/ Man, I remember those legs to this day.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
I am pushing for a real amendment to protect marriage,

I wouldn't mind seeing it abolished altogether, at least in terms of government legally recognizing it. Make it simple--if two entities want to sign some binding contract amongst themselves, have them hire an attorney like everyone else. That way, there's no question as to who can and can't as it removes religious influence and personal preference. It's anyone with a will and a way. Hell, we don't even have to limit it to two either. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:15 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Fosgate wrote:
Quote:
There have been several columnists pointing out the error in this line of reasoning .... if it can even be called reasoning.

I honestly don't get it.

I don't either. As long as whatever someone does behind closed doors (or out of sight of anyone not wishing to participate) involves only consenting adults (if more than one person), does not impact anyone else in a negative fashion, does not scare the farm animals, or bring about swarms of locusts I see no problem with it.

I had a friend who was an enigma. He was an ordained minister who sold insurance (conflict there somewhere) and as such fairly was anti-homosexual because that is what most of the major churches taught around here. His son was gay and we had a lot of discussions over the science being against choice and how it happened in nature as well. He finally was able to come to terms with the situation after confirming it was something his son was born with and as such was not a choice. Now his son has two children through a surrogate mother and they are two of the happiest grandparents you would ever want to meet. I believe they even voted against the recent amendment too.

Quote:
When I was 5, a phenominal pair of female taller than me told me that I was heterosexual. I didn't have any part in the decision, but I've been quite happy with myself ever since. \:D/ Man, I remember those legs to this day.

You should see the pictures of me with my first homecoming date. She was a senior and the homecoming queen while I was the dashing three year old in the baby blue suit. I did not get lucky that night, but I am told I did have roaming hands once or twice. She liked the way I played the pinball machine at the drugstore (I needed a stool to see over the edge) and would light my pipe for me sometimes. Yes, I smoked a pipe while I beat the pinball machine. I also drank beer when given the chance and was known to read certain men's magazines too. I was often abel to embarrass my momn with those antics fueld by some cool uncles and their friends.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
I am pushing for a real amendment to protect marriage,

I wouldn't mind seeing it abolished altogether, at least in terms of government legally recognizing it. Make it simple--if two entities want to sign some binding contract amongst themselves, have them hire an attorney like everyone else. That way, there's no question as to who can and can't as it removes religious influence and personal preference. It's anyone with a will and a way. Hell, we don't even have to limit it to two either. :mrgreen:

Works for me.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:55 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
As long as whatever someone does behind closed doors (or out of sight of anyone not wishing to participate) involves only consenting adults (if more than one person), does not impact anyone else in a negative fashion, does not scare the farm animals, or bring about swarms of locusts I see no problem with it.

I'm pretty sure it's the locust part that has some concerned.

Quote:
His son was gay and we had a lot of discussions over the science being against choice and how it happened in nature as well.

You gotta watch that part too. Incest, non-consensual sex, and, well, extinctions and earthquakes happen in nature. :think:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:40 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Fosgate wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
As long as whatever someone does behind closed doors (or out of sight of anyone not wishing to participate) involves only consenting adults (if more than one person), does not impact anyone else in a negative fashion, does not scare the farm animals, or bring about swarms of locusts I see no problem with it.

I'm pretty sure it's the locust part that has some concerned.

Yes, but the fear of possibly causing locusts is far different from actually causing them. :mrgreen:

Quote:
Quote:
His son was gay and we had a lot of discussions over the science being against choice and how it happened in nature as well.

You gotta watch that part too. Incest, non-consensual sex, and, well, extinctions and earthquakes happen in nature. :think:

Few extinctions or earthquakes are choices .... :angel:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:06 am 

:lol: (I forgot to read the parts I didn't quote in your next to last post)

What was the song, maybe by Sonny and Cher...do you wanna make love or do you just want to fool around? My folks would ask me that when I was a little tyke. I already had an idea of what fooling around was, but had no idea what making love was. I responded accordingly and they all got such a kick out of it. It kind of ticked me off at the time. I really did want to know what the big deal was.