EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: What a waste ....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:58 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Ann Vole wrote:
Fosgate wrote:
Besoeker wrote:
Otherwise intelligent people purporting to believe things that science does not support.

As opposed to believing things that their personal experience does support?
The missing section here is people like me who know science very well and believes most of the stuff science has figured out is correct... but, I have seen too many miracles to discount the supernatural. Supernatural is just that... beyond what is natural. Science obviously does not support supernatural stuff but my knowledge of science confirms that such events are indeed supernatural and not "magic" or science we do not yet understand.

Quote:
The first was crossing a creek with spray that made a rainbow which came right through the cab of my truck with windows closed. The second was standing out on the deck watching a double sunset. One sun with another just to the side and above setting at once from over 10* up to full sunset, about a half hour.
The laws of optics/physics were disrupted for our benefit to know my father was with Our Father in Heaven. I wonder how many times He has interceded in my life, disrupting the very laws He created, just to keep me alive. I came out of being shot at hundreds of times, and going down to a crash after being hit in the transmission, and living when only 10% did under those circumstances. My 16 years of sobriety are a testament to His Power, not mine.

I can see why I am banging my head against a brick wall.

Faith is what you believe inspite of the facts. (Origonally said by me)

The optical effects of the atmosphere can be freaky under freaky conditions. Did your father often comunicate via such optical effects?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:05 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Ann Vole wrote:
Fosgate wrote:
They don't call them coon asses for nothin'.
http://www.louisianausa.com/teamcoonass/coonass.htm

I had to look it up but now that I know a bit about "coonass", I am hooked. I am going to have to include some "coonass" character in one of my stories.

We caught another!! Look at the post above!! As Bugs Bunny used to say "What a maroon!"
I guess some people just can't read or are dyslexic, or something. Coon brained would be a compliment they do not deserve. :mrgreen:
“The earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons and daughters of the earth. This we know. All things are connected like the blood which unites one family. All things are connected.

Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons and daughters of the earth. We did not weave the web of life, we are merely strands in it. Whatever we do to the web we do to ourselves.”
― Chief Seattle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:04 pm 

Tim the Plumber wrote:
nope... for me it is purely because of the facts rather then in spite of them. An example would be a person's leg growing 7 inches without someone touching it and changing from a size 23 club foot to a size 8 normal foot. I donated my shoes to the guy as his shoes were no longer useful. The creation or destruction of several pounds of flesh in the matter of seconds is not easily explained within the realm of science. This was a local event held at a friend's place meant to help a terminal cancer patient... the patient was NOT healed but many others were to show that it is not a science (repeatable) but involvement by a being with a purpose beyond our understanding. Daily miracles can be less spectacular but with a little college statistics, can be shown to have astronomically low chances of happening in the time and place and with such meaning. My saying is "with science, seeing is believing (and it must be repeatable) but with faith, believing is seeing (and only if God wants you to see something)"

One example of a daily miracle could be that this is the 1444th post... cool number but being about 1 in 100 chance of such a cool number... not a miracle but could be a fine example of the "Signs" I have my eyes out for that statistics can say "less then 1 in 20 billion ... and I know exactly what God is saying" stuff. Another post on this forum had me saying I am an involved deist. Deists believe God does not interfere with the clock-work-like universe as it was created. I think that is the case... except when God has something to say to someone who will listen and take the meaning the right way... "involved".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:58 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Tim the Plumber wrote:

The optical effects of the atmosphere can be freaky under freaky conditions. Did your father often comunicate via such optical effects?

No, faith is what you believe when there are no facts. Denial is what you believe in spite of the facts.

I had an incident similar to Johnny once. I have a Model 1922 Belgain Browning which was a war trophy from WWII. It was liberated from a German officer and made its way back to the US. It had been damaged in combat and repaired by a gunsmith which had caused the barrel bushing to be modified by the addition of two screws to hold it in place, but other than that it was a nice old gun. A gun my grandfather finally gave to me before he died.

At one point I had reason to discharge the weapon. The report sounded a little odd but I could not identify a problem. There was a live round in the chamber and that indicated the action had cycled. I proceeded to fire the weapon again, but there was no discharge. I manually cycled the action and removed the round while replacing it with the next one in the magazine. There was an indentation in the primer from the firing pin, although not a deep as I felt it should have been. A second attempt in firing had the same results as the first. I cleared the magazine and chamber and flipped the pistol up to remove the screws holding the barrel bushing. only to catch a glimpse of color from the end of the barrel. The first shot had not pushed the bullet out of the barrel. If the second shot had fired the bullet would have impcated the obstruction and caused the gun to come apart either the barrel, slide, or both would have shattered due to the energy needing release.

I removed the screws, barrel bushing, and the slide from the pistol and using a wooden dowel, I pushed the bullet from the end of the barrel. I reinstalled the slide, barrel busing and screws, reloaded the magazine, including the two rounds that would not fire previously and prepared to fire the pistol again. I emptied the magazine into the target without a bit of trouble. The indentation on the primer of each of the spent rounds were all the same except for the two rounds which did not fire the first attempt. Those two rounds had two indentations instead of one.

The odds of a misfire are not high, but they are not so low as to ignore either. The odds of having a misfire follwed by two more failed shots are high, but not out of the realm of belief. The odds of having the two previously failed rounds work perfectly just after the barrel obstruction was cleared is approaching the realm of disbelief, however. While the situtation was not impossible as a random event in the universe, the probability is way up there for that not happening. In any case, my grandfather's pistol will never leave the family nor will it never be treated with full repsect and care as my grandfather would want.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:53 pm 

Tim the Plumber wrote:

Is your fear of the unknown so great as to cause such a self-destructive activity?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Fosgate wrote:
Besoeker wrote:
Otherwise intelligent people purporting to believe things that science does not support.

Science and observations do not support the existence of the Loch Ness monster.
It maybe draws in tourists and sells useless tat, but that, whilst it might support the science of economics, isn't exactly evidence of the mythical beast.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:12 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Besoeker wrote:
Fosgate wrote:
Besoeker wrote:

It maybe draws in tourists and sells useless tat, but that, whilst it might support the science of economics, isn't exactly evidence of the mythical beast.

Wait, there are fundamentalists in the US which use the existence of the Loch Ness monster to "disprove" the Theory of Evolution .... now you go and screw that up for them even more?

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:54 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:

Wait, there are fundamentalists in the US which use the existence of the Loch Ness monster to "disprove" the Theory of Evolution .... now you go and screw that up for them even more?

If they ignore the lack of evidence I'm inclined to think they also just might ignore my comments on the matter.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:21 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Besoeker wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

If they ignore the lack of evidence I'm inclined to think they also just might ignore my comments on the matter.

Good point. Very logical, which means that it too would be ignored by them. That process is so much simpler than the whole science thing too.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:51 am 

I love most aspects of science and enjoy learning of our vast and amazingly complex universe....

But I also believe there are simply things all the science in the world can't explain.
Those 'unexplainables' do not in themselves prove a creator.....

But they at least introduce him into the discussion.

Pretty clever creator, methinx.... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:31 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Iowanic wrote:
But I also believe there are simply things all the science in the world can't explain.
Those 'unexplainables' do not in themselves prove a creator.....

Nor that we won't ever have a scientific explanation for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:43 am 

Besoeker wrote:
Fosgate wrote:
Besoeker wrote:

I'm not talking specifically of the loch ness monster. There was a time when science, as we understood it at the time, didn't offer evidence of a flat earth.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:48 am 

Besoeker wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

"They" talk about the same thing--how your "beliefs" don't jive with their criteria.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Fosgate wrote:
I'm not talking specifically of the loch ness monster.

Maybe not but this how the thread started:
Quote:
THOUSANDS of American school pupils are to be taught that the Loch Ness monster is real – in an attempt by religious teachers to disprove Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

That, in my opinion, is inexcusable.

Fosgate wrote:
There was a time when science, as we understood it at the time, didn't offer evidence of a flat earth.

Is that what you really meant to write?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 am 

Besoeker wrote:
That, in my opinion, is inexcusable.

Mine too. There's no disproving evolution if it does exist.

Quote:
Fosgate wrote:
There was a time when science, as we understood it at the time, didn't offer evidence of a flat earth.

Is that what you really meant to write?

Yes, it is, though I don't offer it as any level of positive proof. It is rather directed at those who would suggest something--anything--doesn't exist due to the lack of scientific evidence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next