EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building implosion.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:34 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Tomorrow we are imploding our 30 story building here in downtown Ft. Worth. It's loaded with explosives and ready to go. It's a pretty tall building to be imploding, especially in such a confined area. It's supposed to be the tallest in Texas.

Here's a link to our newspaper for more info.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:37 pm 

Are you going to go watch it happen? If you do make sure you take your camera! :)

Post subject: Re: Building implosion.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:51 pm 

Archer wrote:
Tomorrow we are imploding our 30 story building here in downtown Ft. Worth. It's loaded with explosives and ready to go. It's a pretty tall building to be imploding, especially in such a confined area. It's supposed to be the tallest in Texas.

Please run down there right before the countdown and shoosh and the birds and animals away. I always think about the resident birds or stray cats, even rats inside these places. Poof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:21 pm 

Origam wrote:
Are you going to go watch it happen? If you do make sure you take your camera! :)

I will be about a block and a half away. I'm not taking a camera so that I can see the whole thing without distraction. I will be taping the event on the news though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:23 pm 

Grace wrote:
Archer wrote:

Please run down there right before the countdown and shoosh and the birds and animals away. I always think about the resident birds or stray cats, even rats inside these places. Poof.

I baited the area with chicken scratch to get as many pigeons as possible. :twisted: Just kidding.

They won't allow us anywhere near the site before it happens, but I don't think there is much to worry about. The building has been wrapped with a wire mesh, and any animals around will be scared off by the sound of the explosives. The casualties should be minimal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:29 pm 

Archer wrote:
They won't allow us anywhere near the site before it happens, but I don't think there is much to worry about. The building has been wrapped with a wire mesh, and any animals around will be scared off by the sound of the explosives. The casualties should be minimal.

In building demolition, they frequently use a loud siren or horn blast to warn people and actually to also scare off birds. Rats are usually not so lucky... they frequently will set poison out in a building that is to be demolished so that there is NOT a mass exodus from the building of the rats to other buildings in the area.

If we're to believe the movies, there is always a small child, old lady or some other helpless person that just happened to have wandered in and needs to be saved by a Bruce Willis type. They obviously don't listen to the warnings... :lol:

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:05 pm 

Archer wrote:
I will be about a block and a half away. I'm not taking a camera so that I can see the whole thing without distraction. I will be taping the event on the news though.

Bummer. :( I was hoping to see some neat pictures.

Hope you have a blast (pun intended) watching it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:05 pm 

Here's your neat pictures. It was incredible! This site here has some great videos and photos. We have three building surrounding it, and they have several busted windows, but that was all the damage that was done.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/8079772/detail.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:22 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Popping out of lurkdom (lololol).

Saw it on Fox News this morning. It was cool.

Amazing how these experts know just how much explosive to use and just where to place it in the building so it falls straight down.

Human intelligence rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:37 pm 

Bean wrote:
Popping out of lurkdom (lololol).

Saw it on Fox News this morning. It was cool.

Amazing how these experts know just how much explosive to use and just where to place it in the building so it falls straight down.

Human intelligence rocks.

When I was in the Corps we blew a bunch of stuff up,but never with that precision,or something that big!!! I wanted to go to St. Louis and see Busch Stadium when they were going to implode it,but they scrapped that idea and used the wrecking ball instead :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:31 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

A good friend was a track commander in Viet Nam (2-1/2 tours) who was assigned to blow trees across Highway 1 near the DMZ to prevent any rapid use of the road from the north. They were following the old military doctrine of overkill with the explosives when a young engineer chastised them and told them they could do it much easier with planning. He showed them how a minimal amount of primer cord wrapped correctly would cause the trees to fall where ever he wanted. When they fell back an blew the section he had set for them there was an immediate communication from their commanding Col. who was in a Huey flying overhead. It seems the planning had been a bit off and the trees were blown away from the highway. The Col. wanted to know which "person" was responsible for making the "freeway" out of the roadblock. They had to use the tracks to pull the trees back to the road before they continued to blow them their old way. The young engineer had disappeared and was never seen by my friend again.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:51 am 

Here's an even better video put together by the newspaper in Fort Worth. This is the best one I've seen so far. They actually show some footage of the skyline from the distance as it changes. It's awesome!

http://www.dfw.com/multimedia/dfw/news/ ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:53 am 

I don't see what's so awesome. It's just a building coming down. I guess it's a guy thing....growing up and playing war games, throwing fake grenades, blowing things up with M80's or firecrackers vs. playing with a Ken doll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:03 am 

Grace wrote:
I don't see what's so awesome. It's just a building coming down. I guess it's a guy thing....growing up and playing war games, throwing fake grenades, blowing things up with M80's or firecrackers vs. playing with a Ken doll.

Maybe....I don't know. But it's also different if you are there. It's something you just can't fully explain. It was so loud and powerful. I guess if you work here, and you've seen the thing so many times, and it was so big, and now it's gone and so open...well, that makes more of an impact too.