EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:48 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... id=1730499

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is a significant US health problem, responsible for approximately 500 accidental deaths annually,1 and a risk of 18% to 35% for cognitive brain injury 1 year after poisoning.2 Most morbidity and mortality from CO poisoning is believed to be preventable through public education and CO alarm use.

States have been enacting legislation mandating residential CO alarm installation.3 However, as of December 2012, 10 of the 25 states with statutes mandating CO alarms exempted homes without fuel-burning appliances or attached garages, believing that without an internal CO source, risk is eliminated. This may not be true if CO diffuses directly through wallboard material.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:42 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

I had a CO monitor and it came on at 1/10th the unsafe level, so I returned it and it did the same, so returned that and bought one that plugs in with a 9VDC battery for when I shut off my inverters. It was more accurate but still came on at 1/4 the safe 8 hr. threshold and the battery only lasted on night!!!.. I gave it to my relative. Now Colorado has mandatory CO alarms to sell unless going "as is". Still the same old inaccurate expensive power hogs that do not belong in a solar house like mine.

Then there is where much is produced, and in still day traffic jams can build up to over 50ppm and strat hostility as a poinoning early effect, then tiredness and lack of coordination after 2hrs of 100ppm. Road rage!!!
My Mariner hybrid cares, and shuts off at lights stopping over speeds level ground below 41mph.
I wonder how many road rage incidents, and crashes, are REALLY from CO exposure in heavy traffic.

Another good reason to go with all electric and hybrid ASAP, everywhere. ](*,) 8-[ :shock: :x :evil: :twisted: =P~ :-s :crazy: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: